Orion 3.0 Disaster.

CoolStoryBro

In the mean time maybe they can fix the two biggest problems with the current ODO.

1. ODO doesn't calculate a solution based on when I actually leave UPS. My first stop is usually scheduled to be delivered before I leave the building. Example. ODO has my first stop being delivered at 9:40. But I leave the building at 10:05 and actually get to my first stop at 10:30.

2. ODO doesn't know what stops are businesses and routinely has me delivering businesses after they close. On a rural route where I drive 130-150 miles this is a big deal. And it completely invalidates the solution.

Just fix these two issues and maybe ODO will be way more useful?

I don't follow ODO at all. Or even RDO. Cover drivers bomb on my route and rack up extreme amount of extra miles driving all over trying to service commits not recognized by ODO. Or they have missed businesses because they have no idea what stops are businesses and UPS management doesn't know anymore than a fresh newbie driver so they can't help.

When I do the route my way I can beat ODO miles by 10+ and service all my commits. But what do I know? I'm the last resource UPS would utilize in trying to improve anything.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Our center manager swore they had stopped rolling it out. But these guys don’t really have any idea what’s going on
That’s funny. We were just told that it’s coming for us next month. We have a ton of noobs that have never done the job without a diad cradle, and you’re going to throw in a program that’s prone to crashes right before peak?

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
This should be very exciting.
Can’t wait...
E06367A5-CCDD-4E22-AD8D-F5DC72AB0F69.gif
E06367A5-CCDD-4E22-AD8D-F5DC72AB0F69.gif

Overpaid Union Thug

That’s funny. We were just told that it’s coming for us next month. We have a ton of noobs that have never done the job without a diad cradle, and you’re going to throw in a program that’s prone to crashes right before peak?
It is beyond irresponsible for a company to continue to implement a product that has shown nothing but horrible results. From what I have read on here implementing it right before peak would be reckless. I swear I think this company has been infiltrated by competitors. It is the only logical explanation for the never ending horrible decisions we’ve seen during the past 10 years or so.

It is beyond irresponsible for a company to continue to implement a product that has shown nothing but horrible results. From what I have read on here implementing it right before peak would be reckless. I swear I think this company has been infiltrated by competitors. It is the only logical explanation for the never ending horrible decisions we’ve seen during the past 10 years or so.
They are trying to dumbify the job down so that they don't have to pay higher wages

Nah
In the mean time maybe they can fix the two biggest problems with the current ODO.

1. ODO doesn't calculate a solution based on when I actually leave UPS. My first stop is usually scheduled to be delivered before I leave the building. Example. ODO has my first stop being delivered at 9:40. But I leave the building at 10:05 and actually get to my first stop at 10:30.

2. ODO doesn't know what stops are businesses and routinely has me delivering businesses after they close. On a rural route where I drive 130-150 miles this is a big deal. And it completely invalidates the solution.

I don't follow ODO at all. Or even RDO. Cover drivers bomb on my route and rack up extreme amount of extra miles driving all over trying to service commits not recognized by ODO. Or they have missed businesses because they have no idea what stops are businesses and UPS management doesn't know anymore than a fresh newbie driver so they can't help.

When I do the route my way I can beat ODO miles by 10+ and service all my commits. But what do I know? I'm the last resource UPS would utilize in trying to improve anything.

I would be satisfied if they could just load the package car in ODO order.

JJinVA

They are trying to dumbify the job down so that they don't have to pay higher wages

I agree that theyd prefer to have runners replace the senior drivers who file 9.5s and know how to work the system. Just like all the kids who went to college and thought theyd be making $100k a year, only to be replaced every 2-3 years by kids fresh out of college willing to do the same job for less just to get experience in their field, devaluing the multitude of college degrees. Leaving them stuck with $50k in school debt, a mortgage, a car payment, and having to pickup multiple part time jobs at McDonalds and landscaping companies to try and pay it off.

Its still just a matter of fact that a senior driver is far less of a liability. Just as with car insurance, the young kid gets a hefty bill because they know they are (usually) poorer decision makers and higher risk takers

I agree that theyd prefer to have runners replace the senior drivers who file 9.5s and know how to work the system. Just like all the kids who went to college and thought theyd be making $100k a year, only to be replaced every 2-3 years by kids fresh out of college willing to do the same job for less just to get experience in their field, devaluing the multitude of college degrees. Leaving them stuck with $50k in school debt, a mortgage, a car payment, and having to pickup multiple part time jobs at McDonalds and landscaping companies to try and pay it off.

Its still just a matter of fact that a senior driver is far less of a liability. Just as with car insurance, the young kid gets a hefty bill because they know they are (usually) poorer decision makers and higher risk takers
And the union also wants a high turnover.
More money into the underfunded pension plans that the new drivers won't have enough time to be vested into the pension

And let's not forget about the initiation fees...

pierregarcon

At the center level I think they do this on purpose. Why fix a route having you possibly run over when they can use a bloated plan and have you beat the numbers each day? They can show their bosses how "efficient" their center is.

PT Car Washer

At the center level I think they do this on purpose. Why fix a route having you possibly run over when they can use a bloated plan and have you beat the numbers each day? They can show their bosses how "efficient" their center is.
I absolutely agree. Upper management forces Center level management to cheat just to cover their jobs. Look at all of the ghost pick ups on most routes. Some pick ups moved or went out of business 5 or 10 years ago.

Hot Carl

I've been on the same split car for the last month and Orion routinely dispatches an elementary school as the very last stop on the route, even at 180+ stops. I followed it stop-for-stop my first day on it because I didn't know any of the addresses and had no cradle. Got there at about 6:30 and managed to sneak in through the back door and about scared the piss out of the custodian who pulls out his earbuds and looks at me and goes, "How did you get in?"

I go there first thing once I get to that area now, and yeah that's mostly because the receptionist is hot, but I just don't feel like going to such great lengths to avoid having a missed anymore.