Please don't follow FedEx method

PPH_over_9000

IS IT ILLEGAL TO RECORD SOMEONE WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT WHILE IN PUBLIC?​

The simple answer to this question is: no. When you are in a public setting such as a concert, grocery store, a park, and many others, recordings are permitted. The primary motivator for recording in these types of atmospheres is to ensure safety and enhanced security. Once you leave your private property, you should not be expecting full privacy. Thus, recording in appropriate settings when in public is permitted.”

What About Video Surveillance?

Video surveillance is a bit different than audio surveillance under Maryland law. It is legal in Maryland to use surveillance video in your home, including on your porch or lawn, without consent from the parties being recorded [3].

However, it is illegal to use hidden surveillance cameras in places where people expect privacy—these places include bathrooms or dressing rooms. Deliberately using video to record people in their respective private residences or in a private place without their consent is considered unlawful in the state of Maryland.

While federal law doesn’t regulate the use of video surveillance cameras in your home or business, state laws do apply and will vary by state, so be sure you’re in compliance with these regulations to avoid potential legal issues.

Using Audio and Video Surveillance Properly

Both audio and video surveillance can be beneficial for homes and businesses that want more security. However, complying with Maryland law is important. Exercise caution when using audio recording and be sure to notify all parties involved, but know that video recording is usually legal without such permission.

Do you have surveillance equipment in place at your house or office? Are you in compliance with Maryland’s laws for audio and video recording? Contact us at Surveillance Secure to learn more about how we can help you conduct legal surveillance to keep your place of work or your home safe!

Updates for 2024​

In 2024, Maryland remains one of the states in which all parties must consent to an audio recording for it to take place. It still remains legal to conduct video surveillance on your property, so long as they are places where people do not expect privacy.

----------------

Maybe Maryland's just weird about the two-party consent rules but without consent you're not getting :censored2: admitted into a court of law unless it's CCTV of a suspect committing a crime.

PPH_over_9000

Actually, you can have it both ways. It’s our constitutional right. We’re in public, I can film you, you can’t touch me.

WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES

where people like you get twisted up is that you think other folks might care or even think about the consequences

and the thing about consequences? they need witnesses and evidence, both of which you won't have if the time is picked correctly and your camera snatched aptly

HarryWarden

What About Video Surveillance?

Video surveillance is a bit different than audio surveillance under Maryland law. It is legal in Maryland to use surveillance video in your home, including on your porch or lawn, without consent from the parties being recorded [3].

However, it is illegal to use hidden surveillance cameras in places where people expect privacy—these places include bathrooms or dressing rooms. Deliberately using video to record people in their respective private residences or in a private place without their consent is considered unlawful in the state of Maryland.

While federal law doesn’t regulate the use of video surveillance cameras in your home or business, state laws do apply and will vary by state, so be sure you’re in compliance with these regulations to avoid potential legal issues.

Using Audio and Video Surveillance Properly

Both audio and video surveillance can be beneficial for homes and businesses that want more security. However, complying with Maryland law is important. Exercise caution when using audio recording and be sure to notify all parties involved, but know that video recording is usually legal without such permission.

Do you have surveillance equipment in place at your house or office? Are you in compliance with Maryland’s laws for audio and video recording? Contact us at Surveillance Secure to learn more about how we can help you conduct legal surveillance to keep your place of work or your home safe!

Updates for 2024​

In 2024, Maryland remains one of the states in which all parties must consent to an audio recording for it to take place. It still remains legal to conduct video surveillance on your property, so long as they are places where people do not expect privacy.

----------------

Maybe Maryland's just weird about the two-party consent rules but without consent you're not getting :censored2: admitted into a court of law unless it's CCTV of a suspect committing a crime.
Did you not even read what you posted? Lmao it says you can’t secretly film in places where people expect privacy, like bathrooms and dressing rooms

HarryWarden

WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES

where people like you get twisted up is that you think other folks might care or even think about the consequences

and the thing about consequences? they need witnesses and evidence, both of which you won't have if the time is picked correctly and your camera snatched aptly
Ok tough guy, and that ALSO goes both ways. You touch me and I have a right to defend myself. I’m not going to get in a street fight with some loser whose so insecure he’s crying about a camera on him. This isn’t high school, you punch someone and you have to expect them to legally being carrying.

Get your emotions in check. Crying and talking about hitting someone because they have a camera pointed in your direction

PPH_over_9000

Did you not even read what you posted? Lmao it says you can’t secretly film in places where people expect privacy, like bathrooms and dressing rooms

I read most of it. It's literally summarizing that it's okay on private property but the second you get off private property it's probably best to get consent but even then you might be okay.

I don't know about you but when laws seem to revolve around grey areas like that I like to err on the side of caution.

HarryWarden

I read most of it. It's literally summarizing that it's okay on private property but the second you get off private property it's probably best to get consent but even then you might be okay.

I don't know about you but when laws seem to revolve around grey areas like that I like to err on the side of caution.
Well you’re wrong. And next time read it all

PPH_over_9000

Ok tough guy, and that ALSO goes both ways. You touch me and I have a right to defend myself. I’m not going to get in a street fight with some loser whose so insecure he’s crying about a camera on him. This isn’t high school, you punch someone and you have to expect them to legally being carrying.

Get your emotions in check. Crying and talking about hitting someone because they have a camera pointed in your direction

Whoa. You seem to think I'm talking about myself. This is all hypothetical, big guy.

Like, if you want to get robbed that's cool, i'm just here presenting another perspective.

You're a lil touchy, huh?

Thebrownblob

A lot of these guys on YouTube are annoying. I agree, but they also make the money suing police departments as well as private citizens who don’t understand the law. Best to just ignore them.

HarryWarden

So are you!
“If Stopped for Photographing in Public

Taking photographs and video of things that are plainly visible in public spaces is a constitutional right—and that includes transportation facilities, the outside of federal buildings, and police and other government officials carrying out their duties.”

PPH_over_9000

“If Stopped for Photographing in Public

Taking photographs and video of things that are plainly visible in public spaces is a constitutional right—and that includes transportation facilities, the outside of federal buildings, and police and other government officials carrying out their duties.”

why are you talking about photographs?

We were specifically referring to audio/visual recording. The audio side of which is clearly defined in my state, whereas the video side is a bit more ambiguous.
From your very source:

Special considerations when videotaping:

With regards to videotaping, there is an important legal distinction between a visual photographic record (fully protected) and the audio portion of a videotape, which some states have tried to regulate under state wiretapping laws.

· Such laws are generally intended to accomplish the important privacy-protecting goal of prohibiting audio "bugging" of private conversations. However, in nearly all cases audio recording the police is legal.

· In states that allow recording with the consent of just one party to the conversation, you can tape your own interactions with officers without violating wiretap statutes (since you are one of the parties).

· In situations where you are an observer but not a part of the conversation, or in states where all parties to a conversation must consent to taping, the legality of taping will depend on whether the state's prohibition on taping applies only when there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. But no state court has held that police officers performing their job in public have a reasonable expectation.

The ACLU believes that laws that ban the taping of public officials' public statements without their consent violate the First Amendment. A summary of state wiretapping laws can be found here

You need to realize that this site is specifically referring to interactions with LEO and government agents, not fellow private citizens.