Portable pension

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
So what is the chances for being able to transfer your current pension balance into another retirement option (IRA) and then moving into the new 401k option, or is that pension balance locked regardless ?
Where's bacha when you need him????

PurpleDrank

Thanks for the info. I was thinking I could opt out of my pension now and roll that balance into a different account altogether, but I guess I have no options on touching it till retirement

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Thanks for the info. I was thinking I could opt out of my pension now and roll that balance into a different account altogether, but I guess I have no options on touching it till retirement
Your Traditional remains the bailiwick of FedEx, unless they sell it. The Portable is yours to cash out or roll over, after retiring, or leaving the company.

fatboy33

Call Vanguard and have them answer your questions. Do not rely on this forum for financial advise. It's your money you worked hard for.

floridays

educated us please:thumbup1:
For starters, I wasn't trying to demean you or your post.
You are allowed to move your 401K balance into some sort of fund that's less risky

Exactly who determines what a less risky investment or fund is?
Those are determined by current market conditions.

Right. 401k(retirement Risk investment)
I have no idea what this is and neither do you

Right. 401k(retirement Risk investment) and pension( company payout after retirement) are two different things all together.
The bold above is the portion that made your statement partially correct.

fatboy33

For starters, I wasn't trying to demean you or your post.

Exactly who determines what a less risky investment or fund is?
Those are determined by current market conditions.

I have no idea what this is and neither do you

The bold above is the portion that made your statement partially correct.
I was being genuine when asking to educated us. I couldn't find a simple thumbs up emoji. I assume you took it as an attack. Wasn't the intention.

floridays

I was being genuine when asking to educated us. I couldn't find a simple thumbs up emoji. I assume you took it as an attack. Wasn't the intention.
:thumbup1:

My favorite, with sun glasses, makes me feel like Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder and Roy Orbison, all in one.
An oreo if you will. :thumbup1:

:winkiss:.

floridays

Just for :poop: and giggles another song you youngins may never hear but for me

Just because I can,

ma ma ma what a couple of good lookin women, certified beauties

@Operational needs you may like this and two posts above, then again maybe not.

Last edited:

falcon back

Call Vanguard and have them answer your questions. Do not rely on this forum for financial advise. It's your money you worked hard for.
That's very sound advice but believe me, nobody is touching their pension while they are still employed with the company. Just like your 401k. You can borrow, make hardship withdrawals and all that, but the balance can't be moved until you leave the company.

NC man

So what is the chances for being able to transfer your current pension balance into another retirement option (IRA) and then moving into the new 401k option, or is that pension balance locked regardless ?
Can’t do anything with pension balance ,portable until you retire or leave the company. When you do you can have lump sum rolled over into an IRA ,take directly and pay taxes on it, or take as monthly payment

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Can’t do anything with pension balance ,portable until you retire or leave the company. When you do you can have lump sum rolled over into an IRA ,take directly and pay taxes on it, or take as monthly payment
Forgot to mention, once you retire, you can also cash out your Traditional.

You can also retire and, within parameters, draw your pension and go back to work for Fred.