President Trump

Box Ox

Glad this didn't happen during a Democratic administration. Likely would have been used as a club to question the Party's strength and patriotism for a long time. Especially as Afghanistan is re-taken by the Taliban in the coming years.

But I am glad we're getting out. Couldn't win either way.

Afghanistan: US and Taliban sign historic peace deal hailed as 'momentous day'

"Included in the deal:

• Complete withdrawal of US and NATO troops from Afghanistan in 14 months
  • Afghan govt to engage with United Nations Security Council to remove Taliban members from sanctions list by 29 May
  • US to reduce troops in Afghanistan down to 8,600 from 13,000 in the next three to four months, with the remainder withdrawing in 14 months - contingent on the Taliban's fulfilment of its commitments
  • US to refrain from use of force against territorial integrity of Afghanistan
  • US will not intervene in Afghanistan's domestic affairs
  • US commits to seek annual funds to train, advice, equip Afghan security forces"

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
we were propping up a government that could not survive on its own. a 19 year war is way too long. quick strike actions with special forces and superior air power is the way to go when the need arises.
I agree. Trump has built our military back up and rightly so. The cuts started coming when Slick Willie was in office. The greatest country in the world can't be a laughing stock militarily.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I agree. Trump has built our military back up and rightly so. The cuts started coming when Slick Willie was in office. The greatest country in the world can't be a laughing stock militarily.
And Dumsfeld was worse than Billy and the Obama defunded it even further.
I have nothing against a strong national defense but I'm not for policing the world ... maybe the Western Hemisphere.

BrownArmy

Glad this didn't happen during a Democratic administration. Likely would have been used as a club to question the Party's strength and patriotism for a long time. Especially as Afghanistan is re-taken by the Taliban in the coming years.

"Included in the deal:

• Afghan govt to engage with United Nations Security Council to remove Taliban members from sanctions list by 29 May
  • US to reduce troops in Afghanistan down to 8,600 from 13,000 in the next three to four months, with the remainder withdrawing in 14 months - contingent on the Taliban's fulfilment of its commitments
  • US commits to seek annual funds to train, advice, equip Afghan security forces"

We'll see.

i hope it works.

bbsam

Staff member

"Included in the deal:

We’ll be back. We weren’t there for Afghanistan anyway. We were there because Pakistan is an unsecure nuclear nation. Getting out is short sighted and temporary.

It will be fine

We’ll be back. We weren’t there for Afghanistan anyway. We were there because Pakistan is an unsecure nuclear nation. Getting out is short sighted and temporary.
Getting out is contingent on the Taliban behaving for a year. We can all hope they do, but it doesn’t sound likely.

newfie

He's been in office 3 years and planes and ships take many years to design and implement. Show the proof.

Proof is he supports the Soldier, Marine, Airman and Seaman

Example
Trump pardons military personnel accused of crimes overseas

Sorry if you don't approve, my dad was US Army, I approve.
I call this support.

on this one I think you're both right . the Zumwalt the latest ship to enter the navy took 4 years to build.
Trump has stepped up his military spending above what Obama had planned.

newfie

It’s fluff. All it takes is one incident to “re-necessitate” being there. That will happen either in actuality or in exaggeration.

not with trump. the mission will change. more special forces type missions and air /missle strikes if needed. No land troops

assuming the Taliban is smart enough to lay low until we leave

Up In Smoke

Obama slashed military spending to pre-WWII levels. Trump has done things like give the military pay raises and the latest equipment. And morale is much higher.
Sequestration was the leading cause of military shortfalls. I believe we went 3 years without a national budget and spending levels reverted back to previous spending levels. Our annual deficits fell but programs suffered from lack of spending.