Rail strike

newfie

What if UPS offers vast improvements in our starting wage, improvements in everybody’s pension, more full time positions, eliminating the 22.4 or give them the same wages and rights as a RPCD from the start.

Most of us are expecting them to play hardball.. it could be a stroke of genius if the Company settled early giving the O’Brien administration everything they wanted and more. Think of the publicity and good press..it will force the other Unions to match their standards and provide an incentive for organizing Amazon and FedEx.

With FedEx having troubles we could cut into their accounts and the Teamsters can start organizing Amazon and increase our membership and power. The Company can improve their reputation and point to their benevolent by setting early and all the shareholders will be:

:bigsmile2:
Both sides have to sell a message that they played hard ball and won the best contract possible.

newfie

1997 was a different dynamic.

The company was so arrogant.... they never thought the members would have the guts to strike.

Even Ron Carey was sweating bullets. Can you imagine what the working conditions would be like now ?
our belief was that Ron Carey would never settle on time. We sent people out two weeks before the strike to personally warn the customers that we thought a strike was very possible. I was one of them. Its the only time in 40 years i was around that we've done that.

we thought the same in 97 and we were right that our competition couldnt handle that volume then they choked on it.
But it gave them the opportunity to build up to take more. 90 percent of our customers then were single carrier ups only.
after the strike many businesses started using multiple carriers with the idea they could no longer put all their eggs in one basket.
our competitors sales pitch was sign with us now or we wont be able to take your packages if UPS goes on strike again.
the 97 strike was a win for labor and maybe they needed one. But if the market was still single carrier there would be a lot more union jobs now.
There would be a lot more union jobs now if the Teamsters didn't allow UPS to do as it pleases.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There would be a lot more union jobs now if the Teamsters didn't allow UPS to do as it pleases.
We’ve been understaffed for most of the past 3 years. We consistently run 3-5 less routes than the plan calls for because we don’t have enough drivers. Or the rare occurrence that we do. We don’t have enough trucks.

Not talking a 300 route center either that’s running 3 routes short. More like 30 routes. Local management wants to put drivers on. Their higher ups won’t let them.

That’s cool I guess $120 an hour every day after 9.5 is cheaper than putting on some 22.4 drivers. Hell or even sending the 22.4 drivers to help keep people under 9.5.

PT Car Washer

We’ve been understaffed for most of the past 3 years. We consistently run 3-5 less routes than the plan calls for because we don’t have enough drivers. Or the rare occurrence that we do. We don’t have enough trucks.

Not talking a 300 route center either that’s running 3 routes short. More like 30 routes. Local management wants to put drivers on. Their higher ups won’t let them.

That’s cool I guess $120 an hour every day after 9.5 is cheaper than putting on some 22.4 drivers. Hell or even sending the 22.4 drivers to help keep people under 9.5.
A 30 route Ctr with 22.4 delivery drivers? Do you have Saturday ground deliveries?

Trucker Clock

Joe helped avoid a strike and got them a solid contract

A contract that I'm hearing may be voted down.

Yeah I read that just a little bit ago did not realize, although if they got supposedly what they want I don’t know why they need a cooling off

They didn't get what they wanted. Money and time off is still an issue.

24% increase in wages pretty good

Maybe, but the union members are still saying that does not keep up with the cost of living and that they are still voting no.

They will be voting yes.

Not necessarily.

Obviously it’s going to take a few weeks for the vote to be counted but it should be guaranteed.

Not guaranteed. Although, what people tell you they are going to do, and what they do, are usually 2 different stories. It sounds like they are going to turn this contract down, but what they actually do...well, we'll see.

Unless it’s not what they really wanted.

It's not. It is what the Union wanted, not the members.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
A contract that I'm hearing may be voted down.

They didn't get what they wanted. Money and time off is still an issue.

Maybe, but the union members are still saying that does not keep up with the cost of living and that they are still voting no.

Not necessarily.

Not guaranteed. Although, what people tell you they are going to do, and what they do, are usually 2 different stories. It sounds like they are going to turn this contract down, but what they actually do...well, we'll see.

It's not. It is what the Union wanted, not the members.

Sure sounds familiar...🤔

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
If they got what they want why would they need a cooling off period to avoid a strike?They will be voting yes. Obviously it’s going to take a few weeks for the vote to be counted but it should be guaranteed. Unless it’s not what they really wanted.
Time off was the issue, it was not addressed. No guarantee it will pass.