Random Facts

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Until the mid-1970s, all pistachios sold in the United States were imported, mainly from the Middle East. The traditional growing and harvesting methods used by pistachio farmers in countries such as Iran, Syria, and Greece often left blemishes on the outer shell, which American importers would mask with a red vegetable dye. But with the growth of the domestic pistachio industry, the days of the red pistachio may be numbered. About 96 percent of the pistachios currently sold in the United States are grown in California. These nuts are harvested without blemishes, which makes the red dyes moot.

Thanks to popular science for that.

my folks brought some back to me from Greece. A-OK for me

moreluck

golden ticket member
It was a good Oscar night.........Spielberg wasn't the celebrated favorite.....although Daniel Day Lewis was the winning actor.....he deserves his award.....for becoming the character and staying there 'til the film was made.

Jack Nicholson ruined the last few minutes by dragging an Obama into the act........to announce the winnning film.
It was good for Argo (even though they skipped Ben for director nomination.

Seth (the host)...was not great.........it was better when Hugh Jackman was the hos.

Ang Lee's, Life of Pi was the surprise 'lil darlin' of the night. Here's a list of the winners.......

List of 85th annual Academy Award winners - Yahoo! News

moreluck

golden ticket member
BREAD TIP:

When you go to buy bread in the grocery store, have you ever wondered which is the freshest, so you "squeeze" for freshness or softness? Did you know that bread is delivered fresh to the stores five days a week? Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Each day has a different color twist tie. They are:

Monday = Blue

Tuesday = Green

[No WEDNESDAY deliveries]

Thursday = Red

Friday = White

Saturday = Yellow

So if today was Thursday, you would want red twist tie; not white which is Fridays (almost a week old)! The colors go alphabetically by color Blue - Green - Red - White - Yellow , Monday through Saturday. Very easy to remember. I thought this was interesting I looked in the grocery store and the bread wrappers DO have different twist ties, and even the ones with the plastic clips have different colors. You learn something new everyday! Enjoy fresh bread when you buy bread with the right color on the day you are shopping.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Have you looked at your gas bill lately ?

Mine has doubled in the past couple months and I have not changed the way I set my furnace to come on. Not alone either....neighbors have increased bills also.

Thanks Obama?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Received a phone call.....person on the other end says.....Hi Mrs. -------. They put the accent on the wrong syllable, so I know they don't know me.

Person says....."I talked to you last summer and we discussed a home improvement project and you were so nice to me and said I should call you back.

My response is........."you lyin' sack of :censored2:, I live in a new house and would not be talking about any home improvement project to anyone. You're an S.O.B." and I hung up on them. At least he will have something to tell his s.o. at the dinner table.

Gosh, I feel good after a call like that!!! Invigorating!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Traumatic !

traumatic.jpg