Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkmac

Funny. I read such pieces and shrug my shoulders. Faith is not born in the reading of papers or even the Bible, the Torah, the Koran or the writings of Joseph Smith.

That may well be true but at the very least because of Josephus "Antiquities of the Jews", you now understand why in another thread I posed the question, "Which Jesus?"

Faith may not require the reading of papers, great texts or other documents and testing to hold a certain POV, however, seems to me, that can't always be said for knowledge. And from the POV of belief, if faith doesn't require books and texts in the religious sense of the expression of faith, why did god by divine providence inspire the text (Bible) we have today to exist and every preacher I've ever seen over the years have a copy with him/her and is well quoted from during any given sermon? ;)

newfie

That may well be true but at the very least because of Josephus "Antiquities of the Jews", you now understand why in another thread I posed the question, "Which Jesus?"

Faith may not require the reading of papers, great texts or other documents and testing to hold a certain POV, however, seems to me, that can't always be said for knowledge. And from the POV of belief, if faith doesn't require books and texts in the religious sense of the expression of faith, why did god by divine providence inspire the text (Bible) we have today to exist and every preacher I've ever seen over the years have a copy with him/her and is well quoted from during any given sermon? ;)

I get bored with the effort by some to reinvent famous leaders/figures from the past. have you seen ToS's gold heist twin towers theory? Riveting to say the least. I just don't understand why some here get bent out of shape with birthers when there appear to be quite a few people chasing different fantasies here.

wkmac

I get bored with the effort by some to reinvent famous leaders/figures from the past. have you seen ToS's gold heist twin towers theory? Riveting to say the least. I just don't understand why some here get bent out of shape with birthers when there appear to be quite a few people chasing different fantasies here.

No, I've not seen TOS gold theory nor do I feel as if I've missed something either but to the rest of your comments, all that being true, why are you even reading this thread much less posting in it?

wkmac

Fantasies to some is history to others it would seem.

As to birthers, my only comment is that if the birth certificate issue is so strong, then why has the republican party with all its high powered lawyers and legal experts along with controlling the Congress, not done something about it? Either there is nothing there or they are complicit in the crime which then raises the next question, why do you find it necessary to defend republicans?

This is a thread about religion and if you'd like to discuss religion specifically with me, agree or disagree on what is said of religion and address those topics with something meaningful and on point, by all means jump in. Tell us about you own experiences with religion, belief, what are you thinking on the subject or what have you. But I see no reason to continue a conversation on a topic that should be discussed in another thread specific to that topic nor to further entertain your effort here to deflect and derail the discussion.

newfie

I believe I did discuss religion with you. I stated it was another effort to reinvent leaders from the past in this case jesus Christ. I then equated this effort to the many delusions that are posted here. I think if you want to chase a many jesus concept or in some other way attack our belief system then every nut here with a conspiracy to sell should receive the same consideration. I'm sorry your offended at my offense to your posting.

bbsam

Staff member

Because that is the purpose of the Bible. Take it or leave it.

Quite simply put, there is no reason to disbelieve that a Nazarene by the name of Jesus wandered the land of Israel in the first century. Nor is it hard to believe that such a man preached a messianic message to a group of followers. Romans made quick work of any rabble-rouser and crucifixion was a common punishment and warning to others.

What does that mean to the individual today? Everything. Nothing. All points in between.

wkmac

BrownArmy

...I hope these links go to dissuade a "derail" rating against those who keep bringing up topics of politics in a thread about religion.

You may or may not agree, but there's no dividing politics and religion.

For better or for worse, politics and religion are inextricably entwined.

Status
Not open for further replies.