Rescuing The USPS.

bacha29

The USPS has asked for a 75 billion dollar package of assistance from the federal government or it will suspend operations in September.
Ground contractors who think they can haul a first class letter from Boise to Bangor for $.55 might just get their chance to have a go at it after all.

AB831

From the article I read, it sounds like they're using the coronavirus as a scapegoat for their terrible mismanagement and decision making. Their spokesman even said they were already "technically insolvent". However, you simply have to have a postal service, so i'm assuming that congress will just give them whatever they're asking for to shut them up.

bacha29

From the article I read, it sounds like they're using the coronavirus as a scapegoat for their terrible mismanagement and decision making. Their spokesman even said they were already "technically insolvent". However, you simply have to have a postal service, so i'm assuming that congress will just give them whatever they're asking for to shut them up.
Their main gripe was being mandated by Congress to prepay the anticipated pension obligations of future generations. Mail carriers that haven't even been born yet lugging mail for a delivery service that may not even be needed by then. Getting our from under that is thought to be what they're really after.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Their main gripe was being mandated by Congress to prepay the anticipated pension obligations of future generations. Mail carriers that haven't even been born yet lugging mail for a delivery service that may not even be needed by then. Getting our from under that is thought to be what they're really after.

Getting out from under that won't do them much good. They already aren't generating enough revenue to cover there regular operating expenses and have been defaulting on those prepayments.

bacha29

Getting out from under that won't do them much good. They already aren't generating enough revenue to cover there regular operating expenses and have been defaulting on those prepayments.
Back during the Great Recession Ben Stein did a piece for CBS Sunday Morning.He was correct when he flat out said that the problem with the USPS is that it's rates are simply too low. The inescapable trouble with delivering in rural America is that there's too many miles not enough freight.

At the same time however the need to keep small town rural America alive and vibrant is never more evident than because of what is unfolding this very day.

COVID 19 is not the first global pandemic , it won't be the last and chances are it could even be deadlier. As a result you might just see quite a bunch of people especially Boomers who when young couldn't wait to get leave wanting to move back to their childhood homes for obvious reasons. Over population, health risks due to among many things including pandemics along with the post COVID inflation making living in the urban areas on fixed incomes very difficult.

Given the ongoing breakdown of many quality of life components in Metropolis, life in Dullsville USA might suddenly become quite appealing indeed and not just for Boomers only.

AB831

Back during the Great Recession Ben Stein did a piece for CBS Sunday Morning.He was correct when he flat out said that the problem with the USPS is that it's rates are simply too low. The inescapable trouble with delivering in rural America is that there's too many miles not enough freight.

At the same time however the need to keep small town rural America alive and vibrant is never more evident than because of what is unfolding this very day.

COVID 19 is not the first global pandemic , it won't be the last and chances are it could even be deadlier. As a result you might just see quite a bunch of people especially Boomers who when young couldn't wait to get leave wanting to move back to their childhood homes for obvious reasons. Over population, health risks due to among many things including pandemics along with the post COVID inflation making living in the urban areas on fixed incomes very difficult.

Given the ongoing breakdown of many quality of life components in Metropolis, life in Dullsville USA might suddenly become quite appealing indeed and not just for Boomers only.

So are you saying I should get some property in Nebraska while it's still cheap? It's pretty nice out there if you've never been.

bacha29

So are you saying I should get some property in Nebraska while it's still cheap? It's pretty nice out there if you've never been.
I'm not telling you to do anything. But, what I am saying is that small towns with low crime, good services and winters that are not extreme might see a migration back to them and should be given the needed attention in preparation for that migration. Whether that be in the Plain States. New England or the Mid Atlantic Region, the focus should be to find good small towns in every region that already have some of the basic amenities that could use some upgrades. Obviously you won't be able to save them all ,many are too far gone so you find the best remaining and prepare them for that migration including the possibility of a forced migration.
These very well could be the only places where the "kinder, gentler nation" Bush 1 spoke of will be found in the days ahead.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I'm not telling you to do anything. But, what I am saying is that small towns with low crime, good services and winters that are not extreme might see a migration back to them and should be given the needed attention in preparation for that migration. Whether that be in the Plain States. New England or the Mid Atlantic Region, the focus should be to find good small towns in every region that already have some of the basic amenities that could use some upgrades. Obviously you won't be able to save them all ,many are too far gone so you find the best remaining and prepare them for that migration including the possibility of a forced migration.
These very well could be the only places where the "kinder, gentler nation" Bush 1 spoke of will be found in the days ahead.

We read it here first.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let's put it another way. Do you think Fat Freddy would haul your first class letter from Boise to Bangor for $.55? Put a 5 to the left of the decimal point and he might think about it.

Of course not.

Yes, the USPS was unfairly asked to fund 75 years worth of pension benefits. Can you imagine any other corporation being asked to do the same?

They are clearly using the crisis to try to bail their asses out.

rod

Retired 23 years
Raise postage up to $2.00 a letter if going out of state and at least a buck for in state. Junk mail should be at least a $1.50. Cut out Saturday delivery and maybe Wed.

bacha29

Let them sink like Titanic
Then ask yourself this question. Name a carrier who would be willing to provide 6 day and in some places 7 day a week service to every zip in the country? Not just the easiest and most profitable ones. Furthermore, do you think Congress would let a private carrier take over without being required to assume the USPS pension obligations? Congress will likely give them the money especially given that it's not a great deal more than the airlines are getting but it will come with conditions attached.

Indecisi0n

Then ask yourself this question. Name a carrier who would be willing to provide 6 day and in some places 7 day a week service to every zip in the country? Not just the easiest and most profitable ones. Furthermore, do you think Congress would let a private carrier take over without being required to assume the USPS pension obligations? Congress will likely give them the money especially given that it's not a great deal more than the airlines are getting but it will come with conditions attached.
Who gives a :censored2:.

They lose money ever G()d damn day and we keep bailing them out. What businesses loses money everyday and stays open for business ?

Meat

Who gives a :censored2:.

They lose money ever G()d damn day and we keep bailing them out. What businesses loses money everyday and stays open for business ?

Since ‘08 the US economy has not had the ability to function without a deep commitment from the federal government.

It would be interesting to see how the economy would be functioning without quantitative easing being implemented, or without these choice stimulus packages —market society indeed!

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
The USPS has asked for a 75 billion dollar package of assistance from the federal government or it will suspend operations in September.
Ground contractors who think they can haul a first class letter from Boise to Bangor for $.55 might just get their chance to have a go at it after all.
Reminds me of; What's Your Name? By Lynyrd Skynyrd.

MassWineGuy

Raise postage up to $2.00 a letter if going out of state and at least a buck for in state. Junk mail should be at least a $1.50. Cut out Saturday delivery and maybe Wed.

Yes. Even then, they would lose money. But maybe more slowly.

Also, I believe that a significant amount of first class mail going from one coast to the other is flown there by us.

vantexan

Depends on what you consider affordable. The only state that I've found on a state wide basis that has consistently lower prices, primarily for housing, is West Virginia. Basically anywhere an economy has been hammered by changing times. The loss of coal industry jobs in coal country is a prime example. Not just WV but surrounding areas of Kentucky and Ohio too. You can shave off 25-30% of the cost of living there. Mostly due to housing. But it's the epicenter of the opioid crisis too. And after spending several weeks in a very hilly town in Europe it's doubtful I'll live in WV. Too hard on the knees. You can reduce costs in most of small town America but healthcare, groceries, gas and utilities will be little different. So it's the housing that makes the biggest difference and unless an area has been economically hit it won't make that much difference. Yes, the coronavirus has hit hard across the country. But will you be able to sell your home in the big city suburbs to buy in that small town anytime soon? A lot of people lost a lot of money in the market crash. A lot more people had little money or equity to begin with. So doubtful will see a huge upsurge in moving to small town America soon. And if we do then expect prices to rise with the demand. Your best bet is living overseas in a country that has a decent quality of life for even less costs than small town America.