Rescuing The USPS.

JJinVA

You sound like a progressive fella. USPS doesn’t discriminate based on race or religion while hiring though I’m sure you wished they did.

You don’t need to worry though as USPS isn’t going anywhere.

Na. I couldnt care less who they hire, I just dont like obnoxious idiots. We havent had a decent mail man in about 8 years. I used to like the old guy who ran it, Joe, we were on a first name basis.

Im sure that if it were up to YOU though, the entire workforce would be black muslim wannabes...though it is kinda suspect that you accused me of progressivism, and then literally spouted progressive talking points. Must be a boomer...

slowdriver

Na. I couldnt care less who they hire, I just dont like obnoxious idiots. We havent had a decent mail man in about 8 years. I used to like the old guy who ran it, Joe, we were on a first name basis.

Im sure that if it were up to YOU though, the entire workforce would be black muslim wannabes...though it is kinda suspect that you accused me of progressivism, and then literally spouted progressive talking points. Must be a boomer...
Seriously? The Post Office isnt going anywhere.. it would be political suicide for any party..

JJinVA

Seriously? The Post Office isnt going anywhere.. it would be political suicide for any party..

I don't think so. I think UPS would buy a ton of small brown mail trucks and privatize the field just like parcel. Then hire employees that are actually worth a s____t and fire the ones who aren't. I suspect whoever gets the contract to pick up mail routes would likely hire former USPS drivers first since they already know the routes, but again, would replace the ones who aren't worth a damn. I welcome the collapse

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think so. I think UPS would buy a ton of small brown mail trucks and privatize the field just like parcel. Then hire employees that are actually worth a s____t and fire the ones who aren't. I suspect whoever gets the contract to pick up mail routes would likely hire former USPS drivers first since they already know the routes, but again, would replace the ones who aren't worth a damn. I welcome the collapse

The Post Office isn't going anywhere; however, they do need an overhaul of their current business model, to include the ability to raise prices as needed and to close underperforming branches, regardless of public reaction to such closures. Before I retired and relocated, the P.O. was trying to close one of two locations in small rural towns that were less than 2 miles apart. It made zero sense to keep both branches open but public backlash, mostly from senior citizens, forced them to cancel their plans. Had they had the ability to operate like any other business they would have closed the branch and moved on.

They need to upgrade their fleet, streamline their operations and reduce their operating expenses. Centralized mailboxes, delivering only those packages which are tendered at one of their branches and eliminating Saturday delivery are just a few of the options that should be considered.

JJinVA

The Post Office isn't going anywhere; however, they do need an overhaul of their current business model, to include the ability to raise prices as needed and to close underperforming branches, regardless of public reaction to such closures. Before I retired and relocated, the P.O. was trying to close one of two locations in small rural towns that were less than 2 miles apart. It made zero sense to keep both branches open but public backlash, mostly from senior citizens, forced them to cancel their plans. Had they had the ability to operate like any other business they would have closed the branch and moved on.

They need to upgrade their fleet, streamline their operations and reduce their operating expenses. Centralized mailboxes, delivering only those packages which are tendered at one of their branches and eliminating Saturday delivery are just a few of the options that should be considered.

I don't think the USPS will be closing their doors tomorrow, but it'll happen eventually. Course it's already been covered here in this thread why their model doesn't (and won't ever) work going forward. Imagine having a mail service where you only get the stuff you want. No junk mail. That would cut the truck loads in half or more since nearly everything is done on the Internet these days. I don't think it would be as painful as a transition as some think it would be

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Before I retired and relocated, the P.O. was trying to close one of two locations in small rural towns that were less than 2 miles apart. It made zero sense to keep both branches open but public backlash, mostly from senior citizens, forced them to cancel their plans. Had they had the ability to operate like any other business they would have closed the branch and moved on.

Sometimes they follow through with closures. They even have people whose job it is to show up at the public meetings and take the arrows from angry residents. I think that would be a fun job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sometimes they follow through with closures. They even have people whose job it is to show up at the public meetings and take the arrows from angry residents. I think that would be a fun job.

They did close a sorting facility and moved the work to Albany. It basically added 3 days turn around for anything mailed within the local area.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
usps is a dinosaur on borrowed time. 99% of the crap they put in the mailbox is junk nobody wants.
Like all those pesky bills.

file-20190529-192451-17ls4hb.jpg

rod

Retired 23 years
The PO is constantly streamlining around here. Its gotten to the point that if you actually want a letter to go out the same day it has to be in the box by 2 p.m. Our Mail used to be sorted here-then it was in a town 60 miles away. Now it is in Mpls. Some times our mail lady don't even deliver to us until 7-8 p.m. I don't really care.