Rescuing The USPS.

bacha29

Depends on what you consider affordable. The only state that I've found on a state wide basis that has consistently lower prices, primarily for housing, is West Virginia. Basically anywhere an economy has been hammered by changing times. The loss of coal industry jobs in coal country is a prime example. Not just WV but surrounding areas of Kentucky and Ohio too. You can shave off 25-30% of the cost of living there. Mostly due to housing. But it's the epicenter of the opioid crisis too. And after spending several weeks in a very hilly town in Europe it's doubtful I'll live in WV. Too hard on the knees. You can reduce costs in most of small town America but healthcare, groceries, gas and utilities will be little different. So it's the housing that makes the biggest difference and unless an area has been economically hit it won't make that much difference. Yes, the coronavirus has hit hard across the country. But will you be able to sell your home in the big city suburbs to buy in that small town anytime soon? A lot of people lost a lot of money in the market crash. A lot more people had little money or equity to begin with. So doubtful will see a huge upsurge in moving to small town America soon. And if we do then expect prices to rise with the demand. Your best bet is living overseas in a country that has a decent quality of life for even less costs than small town America.
A MFJ can take a once in a lifetime exclusion of up to $500,000 gain from the sale of their personal residence. That will weigh into the matter I'm quite certain. Going so far as to moving to a third world country where you're presence is only tolerated if you can buy your acceptance is something not many will do unless it's to a peaceful and politically stable part of the world especially when quite a number of Americans were stuck overseas when COVID hit.
In fact right now my county has fewer than a dozen confirmed cases of COVID . Surrounding counties have even fewer.

Every individual will have to plan for themselves based on their own economic situation. But if the old family home is still there back in Dullsville and the prospect of returning is still there you bet they'll take a good look at moving back. If you're done working and you're set for life you can go live wherever you want. Otherwise your options are limited to your means.

Drug abuse is everywhere in this country and is not limited to a specific set of demographics . At the same time in my town we have had 1 homicide in past decade but it was a drug deal gone bad.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The $250K/$500K exclusion does have a few strings attached. You have to have lived in the primary residence for at least two of the past five years. You can only take the exclusion once every two years.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Here's the problem with the post office they are bloated and wasteful. My brother in law has worked there for 18 years and within the last two took a porter job at the mail processing plant here in Indianapolis. He works with 8 other porters on his shift. They work 8 hours a day with available overtime. In that 8 hours they only do 2 hours worth of work. They routinely nap and watch a boatload of Netflix. He makes close to $70000 a year doing this. They are a wasteful government entity. Also wanted to send a package to Hawaii. Ups wanted $68 and it would be there in a week. Took it to the post office. Put it in a large flat rate box and got it there in 3 days for $21.55. They just cant make money that way.

Meat

Here's the problem with the post office they are bloated and wasteful. My brother in law has worked there for 18 years and within the last two took a porter job at the mail processing plant here in Indianapolis. He works with 8 other porters on his shift. They work 8 hours a day with available overtime. In that 8 hours they only do 2 hours worth of work. They routinely nap and watch a boatload of Netflix. He makes close to $70000 a year doing this. They are a wasteful government entity.

Meh. The same could be said for FedEx Airbus mechanics.

vantexan

A MFJ can take a once in a lifetime exclusion of up to $500,000 gain from the sale of their personal residence. That will weigh into the matter I'm quite certain. Going so far as to moving to a third world country where you're presence is only tolerated if you can buy your acceptance is something not many will do unless it's to a peaceful and politically stable part of the world especially when quite a number of Americans were stuck overseas when COVID hit.
In fact right now my county has fewer than a dozen confirmed cases of COVID . Surrounding counties have even fewer.

Every individual will have to plan for themselves based on their own economic situation. But if the old family home is still there back in Dullsville and the prospect of returning is still there you bet they'll take a good look at moving back. If you're done working and you're set for life you can go live wherever you want. Otherwise your options are limited to your means.

Drug abuse is everywhere in this country and is not limited to a specific set of demographics . At the same time in my town we have had 1 homicide in past decade but it was a drug deal gone bad.
Yes but you're assuming there will be buyers. A lot of people just got hammered in the stock market. Your average buyers lost a lot in their 401k's. A lot of small businesses have or will go under. Certainly some will do what you're saying, but a lot won't be able to.

As for living overseas, where do you get these ideas? It's literally a matter of getting an Airbnb you like and negotiating with the owner for a long term stay. You don't have to pay people to accept you, or whatever. With wifi you can have American tv in your house. You can move to areas with great climate and scenery and pay a fraction of what similar areas cost. What's the big deal?

bacha29

Yes but you're assuming there will be buyers. A lot of people just got hammered in the stock market. Your average buyers lost a lot in their 401k's. A lot of small businesses have or will go under. Certainly some will do what you're saying, but a lot won't be able to.

As for living overseas, where do you get these ideas? It's literally a matter of getting an Airbnb you like and negotiating with the owner for a long term stay. You don't have to pay people to accept you, or whatever. With wifi you can have American tv in your house. You can move to areas with great climate and scenery and pay a fraction of what similar areas cost. What's the big deal?
Stuck in a strange land can't speak the language and in a stranger's house all day and all night watching internet American TV just to save a few dollars a month is an extreme measure not many would be willing to take especially when you consider the fact that it has been proven that New York's COVID came from Europe. Don't forget the flood of refugees from North Africa and Syria pushing hard trying to get into Europe and the Balkans If it's so great over there then why are many European's including those in Southern Europe want to come here. Remember you tried this approach before and came back. And if predictions for a weaker dollar hold true then whatever savings that might have been achieved could dry up rather quickly.

Whatever the case may be post COVID America is going to be a different place and regional demographics will likely change to a small degree or a considerable degree. And some perhaps quite a few will change their place of residence in accordance with their incomes and personal well being. And the small towns need to prepare for a surprising number of people seeking to take up residence there.

vantexan

Stuck in a strange land can't speak the language and in a stranger's house all day and all night watching internet American TV just to save a few dollars a month is an extreme measure not many would be willing to take especially when you consider the fact that it has been proven that New York's COVID came from Europe. Don't forget the flood of refugees from North Africa and Syria pushing hard trying to get into Europe and the Balkans If it's so great over there then why are many European's including those in Southern Europe want to come here. Remember you tried this approach before and came back. And if predictions for a weaker dollar hold true then whatever savings that might have been achieved could dry up rather quickly.

Whatever the case may be post COVID America is going to be a different place and regional demographics will likely change to a small degree or a considerable degree. And some perhaps quite a few will change their place of residence in accordance with their incomes and personal well being. And the small towns need to prepare for a surprising number of people seeking to take up residence there.
You do realize you can rent whole houses or apartments through Airbnb? I came back from Albania because everything got shut down due to the virus. Other places I explored as options for the future. But I digress. Heading to Argentina as soon as the travel bans are lifted.

The Dollar is the world's reserve currency. Unless that changes it will always be worth significantly more than most other currencies. In Argentina they have an official rate, currently about 65:1, and what they call the "blue rate" which currently is almost 95:1 with the U.S. Dollar. Their Peso erodes in value so they offer more to get their hands on Dollars. $500 USD will get you more than $680 worth of Pesos with the blue rate right now. And what's great for an American expat is you can get that rate by having money sent to you by Western Union using your own debit card. The blue rate has been around for decades but before Western Union started doing this last year people had to bring cash into the country on trips and exchange it to get the great rate. ATM's give the official rate and don't give very much money while hitting you with $10 transaction fees. So people use a number of money transfer sites to get money but Western Union really is the game changer for living there.

vantexan

And P.S. Argentina is currently 55% cheaper than the U.S. except rent. Rent is 80% cheaper. That plus getting the better blue rate makes it much more affordable than the States.

JJinVA

Does anyone even mail letters anymore? I havent sent a letter since my elementary school had me become penpals with some kid on the other side of Earf

bacha29

And P.S. Argentina is currently 55% cheaper than the U.S. except rent. Rent is 80% cheaper. That plus getting the better blue rate makes it much more affordable than the States.
Then go. By all means gooooo. But just like Dano you'll come crawling back when things in the country of your choosing get too unstable.

vantexan

Then go. By all means gooooo. But just like Dano you'll come crawling back when things in the country of your choosing get too unstable.
A lot of Americans are down there now. Some 20 years or more. What's there to crawl back to? High prices? As a FedEx retiree I get substantial flight discounts. Will come back to see family. Beyond that will have to have an armed revolution to get me back. Argentina isn't Nicaragua.

I am FedEx

Takes money. And when you get older having a million choices isn't as big a deal as it once was.

I suppose as long as it’s not a rural area. That is acceptable. Rural America is a lost cause. Terrible infrastructure, not dense enough, bad cell service... Plus a total profit killer for express. Should be mandatory to p1 rural deliveries.

bacha29

A lot of Americans are down there now. Some 20 years or more. What's there to crawl back to? High prices? As a FedEx retiree I get substantial flight discounts. Will come back to see family. Beyond that will have to have an armed revolution to get me back. Argentina isn't Nicaragua.
Then please go. But nobody's going to cry for them or for you or for Argentina and we're got even going to cry for Evita Peron.