Respond or response whatever it's called

Merlin17

can anyone at all give me a legitimate explanation of what exactly respond, or response, is? I ask my manager and the station manager... neither one could give a real explanation of the purpose... it was all bs "reasons" they were handed down from the geniuses above them

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
can anyone at all give me a legitimate explanation of what exactly respond, or response, is? I ask my manager and the station manager... neither one could give a real explanation of the purpose... it was all bs "reasons" they were handed down from the geniuses above them
Supposedly it was to cut down on flights and OT. Yeah, I know that’s funny.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thank you, management at my station keeps flip flopping between the two... but yeah this was a terrible idea, I mean what works on paper very rarely translates well to on road...
It’s hard to put a plan into action that requires more manpower when you’re already short staffed.

Merlin17

It’s hard to put a plan into action that requires more manpower when you’re already short staffed.
That's true... but it is a little ridiculous that 99% of my response freight happens to be everything I have either already been to or am going to.... so that's why I was really confused on the purpose of this failure.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That's true... but it is a little ridiculous that 99% of my response freight happens to be everything I have either already been to or am going to.... so that's why I was really confused on the purpose of this failure.
The response route for my area has no one on the route so I get the previous day’s packages the next morning. It’s been like that from the beginning. Lol.

Merlin17

The response route for my area has no one on the route so I get the previous day’s packages the next morning. It’s been like that from the beginning. Lol
The last two days management at my station had us working like that but what we have been doing is having another route, usually the pu route, get the response stuff and shuttle it out to us... it feels like a less efficient way of doing the same thingbecause by the time we receive the freight all the stops are closed accept for a couple.

Star B

White Lightening
Here's my uninformed opinion -- but it makes sense:

It's just more throwing it at the wall and seeing what sticks. They want to divert as much deferred freight away from Memphis.

Kind of like LMO -- give to Ground what they can timeframe-deliver within 2 days -- which is mostly deferred freight.
and now we have RESPONSE -- Only deferred freight gets moved to Indy.

They want to make Memphis 100% FO/PO/SO/IPF/IPO and as little XS/2D/2DA as possible.

It will be fine

Here's my uninformed opinion -- but it makes sense:

It's just more throwing it at the wall and seeing what sticks. They want to divert as much deferred freight away from Memphis.

Kind of like LMO -- give to Ground what they can timeframe-deliver within 2 days -- which is mostly deferred freight.
and now we have RESPONSE -- Only deferred freight gets moved to Indy.

They want to make Memphis 100% FO/PO/SO/IPF/IPO and as little XS/2D/2DA as possible.
If they want to send more to Ground in the future Indy has a pretty large 2 day ground service footprint at least half the country.

Star B

White Lightening
If they want to send more to Ground in the future Indy has a pretty large 2 day ground service footprint at least half the country.

The one issue that I could see with ingesting it at Indy would be you have pretty much lost one day in transit, so realistically you now have to look at the one day from Indy.

Unless they downsize Chicago and build into indy a ground sort hub/annex so that the freight can be ingested directly into the ground system from express.... then I could see them also dealing with 2d p2, but that would take some very careful maneuvering and heavy lobbying to protect RLA status because that is the one thing Express management is always concerned about. They know that if they get reclassified, there's going to be a massive union flood in the system.

Of course it's all speculation...

It will be fine

The one issue that I could see with ingesting it at Indy would be you have pretty much lost one day in transit, so realistically you now have to look at the one day from Indy.

Unless they downsize Chicago and build into indy a ground sort hub/annex so that the freight can be ingested directly into the ground system from express.... then I could see them also dealing with 2d p2, but that would take some very careful maneuvering and heavy lobbying to protect RLA status because that is the one thing Express management is always concerned about. They know that if they get reclassified, there's going to be a massive union flood in the system.

Of course it's all speculation...
Ya, I was thinking all the express saver 3 day commits. There might not be that many of them but if they mostly flew into Indy they could have Ground deliver a lot of it. Who knows if that much shuffling is worth it though. That’s for the nerds to calculate.

MassWineGuy

Of a combined 47 or so pups and deliveries today, I came back with nine. I was already over seven hours and that’s enough. I am part time.

MassWineGuy

I know. My parole officer says the same thing.

I doubt that anyone in the company lower than the highest rungs knows the plan and how it’s going.

MAKAVELI

Ya, I was thinking all the express saver 3 day commits. There might not be that many of them but if they mostly flew into Indy they could have Ground deliver a lot of it. Who knows if that much shuffling is worth it though. That’s for the nerds to calculate.
Can't fly the freight and then hand over to Ground. That nullifies the RLA exemption. Ground would have to expand to more like an Express footprint to take the majority of Express deferred freight.