Safety Vests Color Requirement

quad decade guy

A driver at an airport ramp. If this is so important for my safety, how are the other thousands of employees who don't wear a vest able to safely walk from the parking lot to security to inside the building and about? And certainly me wearing it to and from area, inside my package car, isn't going to matter. So the rest of the day not wearing one it's ok? All the other years not wearing one I was in imminent danger? Exactly, BS except if you're like a yard jockey or work out in the yard, then yes. As an RPCD, miss me.
Well....you have some excellent points....Bravo.

Now let's explore....

Vests are required anytime/anywhere on the yard. Question is: what exactly is the yard? I have asked and NEVER given a definitive answer. This includes contractors and mgt. and guards. Walking to work areas etc. I see Feeder drivers walking to the vehicles without a vest. Their response is something like" it's in my tractor.....I'm just....". We all know stepping out of the employee entrance/exit door means you are on the yard....right? There is a sidewalk(not pedestrian walkway) in places around our building. Is this the yard? I have observed hourly as well as mgt. standing out there without a vest, smoking and talking on their cell phone(no cell use on the yard). When asked....blank stares(even mgt)(mgt especially angry even being questioned). Smoking in only designated areas.....So is the sidewalk the yard? How about the grass inside the sidewalk? We have that too...

It is interesting to note an employee can walk in the crosswalk out of a pedestrian door and never be required to wear a vest. But an on duty employee without a vest cannot step off the crosswalk into the yard without being in violation...

We were told vests have to be the yellow/green color and of only 2 types(styles).

We have golf carts.....we have office/mgt/safety committee folks(I can't tell the difference....) take the uh....infirm/challenged folks out to the guard shack.....these carts must have 360 visibility(flashers etc)(non-compliant) and I've seen plenty of passengers not have a vest on. In compliance? I don't think so.

I do think wearing a vest at ANYTIME will create more visibility....causing greater safety? Maybe but not absolutely.

I would suspect walking ANYWHERE on an airport ramp would require a vest. Period.

The problem is (as I see it) that there doesn't seem to be any observation or compliance reinforcement. It is rare to see any type of mgt on the yard around here.

Arguing over the color of a vest is not the point....wearing it is...

The point is this all reverts back to Space and Visibility. For obvious reasons.

When you have a friend killed on the yard for the above reasons.....it really changes your perspective. Well....for some folks

I've got a timer for how long until the personal attacks begin.....go.

quad decade guy

I wore that vest the first day, haven't since. Nobody says anything to me about it.
Right. Exactly....

Now, be the reason your building fails a Keter audit. Don't know what that is? Ask around(mgt). Tell them why you are asking.....

Would love to hear back on this. Please.

Knowingly/deliberately being non-compliant is dishonesty. And I do believe we sign our signature/initial that we have completed DOK as well as annual compliance training.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
Well....you have some excellent points....Bravo.

Now let's explore....

Vests are required anytime/anywhere on the yard. Question is: what exactly is the yard? I have asked and NEVER given a definitive answer. This includes contractors and mgt. and guards. Walking to work areas etc. I see Feeder drivers walking to the vehicles without a vest. Their response is something like" it's in my tractor.....I'm just....". We all know stepping out of the employee entrance/exit door means you are on the yard....right? There is a sidewalk(not pedestrian walkway) in places around our building. Is this the yard? I have observed hourly as well as mgt. standing out there without a vest, smoking and talking on their cell phone(no cell use on the yard). When asked....blank stares(even mgt)(mgt especially angry even being questioned). Smoking in only designated areas.....So is the sidewalk the yard? How about the grass inside the sidewalk? We have that too...

It is interesting to note an employee can walk in the crosswalk out of a pedestrian door and never be required to wear a vest. But an on duty employee without a vest cannot step off the crosswalk into the yard without being in violation...

We were told vests have to be the yellow/green color and of only 2 types(styles).

We have golf carts.....we have office/mgt/safety committee folks(I can't tell the difference....) take the uh....infirm/challenged folks out to the guard shack.....these carts must have 360 visibility(flashers etc)(non-compliant) and I've seen plenty of passengers not have a vest on. In compliance? I don't think so.

I do think wearing a vest at ANYTIME will create more visibility....causing greater safety? Maybe but not absolutely.

I would suspect walking ANYWHERE on an airport ramp would require a vest. Period.

The problem is (as I see it) that there doesn't seem to be any observation or compliance reinforcement. It is rare to see any type of mgt on the yard around here.

The point is this all reverts back to Space and Visibility. For obvious reasons.

When you have a friend killed on the yard for the above reasons.....it really changes your perspective. Well....for some folks

This "rule" was just imposed selectively on a group of employees. It's already been understood that employees working outside in the yard wear the vests. This never included the drivers, except say going to retrieve a PC from the yard. Management themselves don't wear them. I'm not going to look like an idiot and wear this bothersome vest when my issued uniform already has visibility and reflectors built in. Plus too, I'm aware of my surroundings. Where are these renegade tug or PC, feeder, mules, whatever, careening out of control gunning for me, if not for the safety of that vest. And furthermore, you want to dictate to me my attire the moment I step out my car, but I'm not a paid employee until my start time?

Last One In

Right. Exactly....

Now, be the reason your building fails a Keter audit. Don't know what that is? Ask around(mgt). Tell them why you are asking.....

Would love to hear back on this. Please.

Knowingly/deliberately being non-compliant is dishonesty. And I do believe we sign our signature/initial that we have completed DOK as well as annual compliance training.
I cannot recall my center ever passing a Keter audit. We fail every single time. We are told we better know the answers next time they come by. Fail again.

I don't mean to be rude, but as a quad decade guy, why are you signing any UPS paperwork? It is always RTS for me. But I only have 32 years. Haven't hit 4 decades yet.

quad decade guy

I cannot recall my center ever passing a Keter audit. We fail every single time. We are told we better know the answers next time they come by. Fail again.

I don't mean to be rude, but as a quad decade guy, why are you signing any UPS paperwork? It is always RTS for me. But I only have 32 years. Haven't hit 4 decades yet.
Ok. Rude it is.....

And so?

My statements stand.

quad decade guy

This "rule" was just imposed selectively on a group of employees. It's already been understood that employees working outside in the yard wear the vests. This never included the drivers, except say going to retrieve a PC from the yard. Management themselves don't wear them. I'm not going to look like an idiot and wear this bothersome vest when my issued uniform already has visibility and reflectors built in. Plus too, I'm aware of my surroundings. Where are these renegade tug or PC, feeder, mules, whatever, careening out of control gunning for me, if not for the safety of that vest. And furthermore, you want to dictate to me my attire the moment I step out my car, but I'm not a paid employee until my start time?
Ok. So, I guess I missed something....they are telling you to wear a vest from your personal vehicle to the building? There is no provision/sidewalk to allow you to do this without a vest? If your PC's are outside, it seems you would have to wear a vest to get to them. You wouldn't have to make that walk until start time and on the clock...right? Please kinda clarify if you would....

Now, you not liking a "rule" or policy really is irrelevant. What you want to do or not is not up to you to interpret. As long as it's legal and contractual of course.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
Ok. So, I guess I missed something....they are telling you to wear a vest from your personal vehicle to the building? There is no provision/sidewalk to allow you to do this without a vest? If your PC's are outside, it seems you would have to wear a vest to get to them. You wouldn't have to make that walk until start time and on the clock...right? Please kinda clarify if you would....

Now, you not liking a "rule" or policy really is irrelevant. What you want to do or not is not up to you to interpret. As long as it's legal and contractual of course.
Yes, they said from your car to inside the building and even in your package car until your first stop. Vest on again on the return to building, out to car. Our PCs are parked outside when empty but my truck is loaded and inside when I start. This was only told to us drivers, so I guess anybody else is a ok? The vest look stupid, aren't needed for a RPCD, and is a bother to me so I don't. No discipline, no you gotta wear it, nobody cares. Flavor of the month. Next. I even wear my once forbidden UPS hoodie everyday.

quad decade guy

Yes, they said from your car to inside the building and even in your package car until your first stop. Vest on again on the return to building, out to car. Our PCs are parked outside when empty but my truck is loaded and inside when I start. This was only told to us drivers, so I guess anybody else is a ok? The vest look stupid, aren't needed for a RPCD, and is a bother to me so I don't. No discipline, no you gotta wear it, nobody cares. Flavor of the month. Next. I even wear my once forbidden UPS hoodie everyday.
If you would use the term "personal vehicle" it would make things clearer. If they mandate from your personal vehicle that is on UPS property, then you must I'd guess if on the clock. If not on the clock....it is arguable....

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
If you would use the term "personal vehicle" it would make things clearer. If they mandate from your personal vehicle that is on UPS property, then you must I'd guess if on the clock. If not on the clock....it is arguable....
Yes, personal car out in the parking lot, of the clock. I'm not an idiot, I take full responsibility for my safety. My body my choice no vest!

Cowboy Mac

Now let's explore....

I would say the yard is anywhere outside the doors of the building that is not a designated break area or designated pedestrian walkway. That’s a pretty clear definition.

So if someone is confused about if a certain area is a break area or not, then the markings are not clear enough. They should have lines painted on the ground, barriers or cones around the break area, and maybe a sign or two that say “designated break area.”

You bring up a good point about the golf carts. They need more visibility/reflective tape. At least they have a horn.

My thing is we should be wearing a vest at all times in the yard, but I only talk to people about it at night. That’s the time when you need a vest the most. I carry extra vests in my bag in case someone doesn’t have one.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I choose to pick my battles. Wearing a vest isnt one of them. UPS gave me a vest and told me to wear it on the property, so I do. It is a prudent safety precaution.

Grindstone

We had a few guys try to fight it when they started cracking down on it because they thought it was just the flavor of the month. It wasn’t. Not wearing a vest in our yard is a sure fire way to get a write up.
Hell, Our management started demanding all drivers to be wearing our vests during PCM while still inside the building. They got a bunch of push back from it, so a few weeks ago, they started making us have PCM in the yard to justify it.

nWo

It's best to just wear it. Although some don't. But not wearing it is a good way to get canned or ran over.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
they paint the walkways so it's pretty cut and dry what the yard is anything not painted on or not indoors or not accessed via a regular door.
the vests were introduced for drivers late and, as long as your management team was not a bunch of dicks about it, would be used exactly how inside employees were previously trained in yard control. in most cases this means putting it on for exactly 10 feet of unmarked pavement to the truck before immediately taking it back off lol.
Other yard work requires a cone (this especially makes a lot of sense in the late night hours), I try to find one and it's been met with wide eyes and bewilderment. Seems the only two cones that exist is one that the safety committee uses to simulate a baby getting run over and a second that the on road sup uses to simulate their new hire running a baby over.

Don't they supply the correct color vest already?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
A driver at an airport ramp. If this is so important for my safety, how are the other thousands of employees who don't wear a vest able to safely walk from the parking lot to security to inside the building and about? And certainly me wearing it to and from area, inside my package car, isn't going to matter. So the rest of the day not wearing one it's ok? All the other years not wearing one I was in imminent danger? Exactly, BS except if you're like a yard jockey or work out in the yard, then yes. As an RPCD, miss me.
Are you an “airport ramp driver” or a pkg driver or just a hub rat that couldn’t get his S* toghether long enough to qualify

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I saw somewhere where a driver had some custom-made Brown vest with reflective strips on it. Why somebody would pay for something the company provides for free is beyond me.