SFA next week

dezguy

I can confirm you are incorrect as far as US operations.
Maybe the guy is a negative and they just didn't want him. It is indeed an option for US Operations.

Can you make a quick $2000 doing volunteer work? You work a few days and you can volunteer all you want. Nothing like having spare $ when you work on that bucket list. I splurged this week to go in with some friends to rent a VIP Suite in Memphis for the Sweet 16 basketball tournament. Cost an arm and a leg but it has been worth it.
Our people work during peak, and the busy days such as Mother's Day, Valentine's Day and the last few weeks when we had so many off for kids Spring Break. I know next week we have 4 couriers that have Jury Duty plus a full load of vacations. Casuals is a win win for everyone.
It doesn't always have to be about money. I already know I'm going to be doing fine in retirement, there will be no need for me to continue working for money when I can contribute to my community in a positive way and allow someone in the work force to have those hours I would be taking.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It doesn't always have to be about money. I already know I'm going to be doing fine in retirement, there will be no need for me to continue working for money when I can contribute to my community in a positive way and allow someone in the work force to have those hours I would be taking.
He can't comprehend that concept. He's too selfish.

Purplepackage

I can confirm you are incorrect as far as US operations.
Maybe the guy is a negative and they just didn't want him. It is indeed an option for US Operations.

Can you make a quick $2000 doing volunteer work? You work a few days and you can volunteer all you want. Nothing like having spare $ when you work on that bucket list. I splurged this week to go in with some friends to rent a VIP Suite in Memphis for the Sweet 16 basketball tournament. Cost an arm and a leg but it has been worth it.
Our people work during peak, and the busy days such as Mother's Day, Valentine's Day and the last few weeks when we had so many off for kids Spring Break. I know next week we have 4 couriers that have Jury Duty plus a full load of vacations. Casuals is a win win for everyone.

I would need to see some actual Fedex info on that because i highly doubt this. If they did away with casual employees they got rid of them for the whole company not specific stations or markets

Oldfart

If the station is shorthanded and needs everyone they can get, how are you taking hours from someone else. We have 10 swings and allow 8 couriers off on vacation. We have those 8 couriers off next week plus 4 more on Jury Duty. Whose hours are you taking? Casuals allow us to run a normal operation and even allowed an extra couple of people off for Spring Break that normally wouldn't be allowed otherwise.

Oldfart

I would need to see some actual Fedex info on that because i highly doubt this. If they did away with casual employees they got rid of them for the whole company not specific stations or markets
Suite yourself. I see it with my own eyes several times a month and have discussions with my SM several times a year about me doing that very thing when I retire. Maybe people that have been told the program no longer exists are not worth the trouble involved to put them back to work. They are TOO busy memorizing the RLA WORD FOR WORD.

You have to reapply and get a drug screen just like a new hire. You have no employee benefits but those are all taken care of by being a retiree. You make the same salary you received before you retired and still draw 100% of your monthly pension provided you do not go over the monthly hour limit. Seems like it was 70 hrs and they raised it to 80 hrs last year. They might have raised it from 60 hrs to 70 hrs.

Oldfart

He can't comprehend that concept. He's too selfish.
Yep. Helping the company and my coworkers out when they are short handed is a classic case of being selfish.

Allowing a parent to get off for Spring Break that normally would not get off because the vacation list is full is such a selfish act.

Oldfart

So you are gonna volunteer 2080 hrs per year to improve your community when you retire? Why not help the people you worked with all those years when they need a hand? Sounds like you are too selfish to come to their aid.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yep. Helping the company and my coworkers out when they are short handed is a classic case of being selfish.

Allowing a parent to get off for Spring Break that normally would not get off because the vacation list is full is such a selfish act.
Lol. We all know you won't be doing it to help anyone but yourself.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
So you are gonna volunteer 2080 hrs per year to improve your community when you retire? Why not help the people you worked with all those years when they need a hand? Sounds like you are too selfish to come to their aid.
I'm sure he'd rather help those who can't help themselves in his community.

Oldfart

Lol. We all know you won't be doing it to help anyone but yourself.
Win win. I make splurge money. Janet gets to take her kids to Disney World on Spring Break. Without casuals and because Janet does not have the seniority to get off for Spring Break, little Johnny would not get to visit Disney until mom moves up the seniority ladder.

dezguy

If I'm retired, why would I volunteer 2080 hours a year??? When I retire, I'm going to take it easy. I've been working since I was ten. I think by 65, I deserve to lay back and relax. I said, if I feel the need to do something, I'll volunteer somewhere. That doesn't mean I'll do it full time, maybe once or twice a week.

FedEx isn't a charity. If they need people it's as simple as posting a position and filling it. Charities have a much harder time finding people to volunteer their time.

As much as I like some of my co-workers, I feel I could do a lot more good for more peolle, volunteering rather than working, taking hours from someone who could be working instead of me.

If the station is shorthanded and needs everyone they can get, how are you taking hours from someone else. We have 10 swings and allow 8 couriers off on vacation. We have those 8 couriers off next week plus 4 more on Jury Duty. Whose hours are you taking? Casuals allow us to run a normal operation and even allowed an extra couple of people off for Spring Break that normally wouldn't be allowed otherwise.
Simple. If I'm working, that's time I am taking from someone else in the workforce. Perhaps you luckily live in an area with low unemployment but where I am, unemployment is high.

They could hire someone off the street as a casual, rather than me taking those hours. There are plenty of people out there who could use the money more than I would when I retire.

Oldfart

If I'm retired, why would I volunteer 2080 hours a year??? When I retire, I'm going to take it easy. I've been working since I was ten. I think by 65, I deserve to lay back and relax. I said, if I feel the need to do something, I'll volunteer somewhere. That doesn't mean I'll do it full time, maybe once or twice a week.

FedEx isn't a charity. If they need people it's as simple as posting a position and filling it. Charities have a much harder time finding people to volunteer their time.

As much as I like some of my co-workers, I feel I could do a lot more good for more peolle, volunteering rather than working, taking hours from someone who could be working instead of me.

Simple. If I'm working, that's time I am taking from someone else in the workforce. Perhaps you luckily live in an area with low unemployment but where I am, unemployment is high.

They could hire someone off the street as a casual, rather than me taking those hours. There are plenty of people out there who could use the money more than I would when I retire.
You are gonna work until you are 65 and you criticize me? Why work so long? You say you have been working since you were 10 and you have to work till 65? Sounds like someone didn't properly prepare for their future.

I have not seen them hire casuals off the street in a LONG time. We used to have several firefighters who ran routes and with their days off, it worked great. Then the DOT hours got in the way and that ended. You won't find many people willing to work an odd schedule like our casuals do. Some work 2 or 3 days per month, some go several months without working and some work 1 day each week.

dezguy

You are gonna work until you are 65 and you criticize me? Why work so long? You say you have been working since you were 10 and you have to work till 65? Sounds like someone didn't properly prepare for their future.

I have not seen them hire casuals off the street in a LONG time. We used to have several firefighters who ran routes and with their days off, it worked great. Then the DOT hours got in the way and that ended. You won't find many people willing to work an odd schedule like our casuals do. Some work 2 or 3 days per month, some go several months without working and some work 1 day each week.
Retirement age is 65, here. I may retire early, I may not. We'll see when the time comes.

You can take all the veiled shots at me you want but, every week, when I look at my retirement plans; trust me, I'm more than ok with how they look.

Back when we had causals, that is how you got into FedEx. They never hired permanent off the streets. You worked your butt off as a casual till they decided to hire you permanent. Did that for years till they did away with casual status.

Purplepackage

Retirement age is 65, here. I may retire early, I may not. We'll see when the time comes.

You can take all the veiled shots at me you want but, every week, when I look at my retirement plans; trust me, I'm more than ok with how they look.

Back when we had causals, that is how you got into FedEx. They never hired permanent off the streets. You worked your butt off as a casual till they decided to hire you permanent. Did that for years till they did away with casual status.

That's exactly what a casual was in the states as well. I honestly think he's living in a Fedex world from 20 years ago.

This is probably the only time Dano would be useful, because I'm almost 100% positive casuals are no longer a thing

Oldfart

That's exactly what a casual was in the states as well. I honestly think he's living in a Fedex world from 20 years ago.

This is probably the only time Dano would be useful, because I'm almost 100% positive casuals are no longer a thing
Not sure you completely understand. I don't care what you think. As with many of your opinions, you are wrong. The program exists in my station. I have no idea if other stations utilize this option. I don't spend my days reading the RLA or studying what happens at other stations or at other companies within Fedex. I deal in facts and personal experience. Most on here deal in myth and speculation.

A casual retiree and a casual off the street are 2 different things.

McFeely

Huge Member

I thought you started working for FedEx in the 70s? Wouldn't you be in your 60s as well right now?

I mean, JHC, you criticize anybody and everybody on here for just about any ridiculous thing. I'm in my 40s but not sure at the moment when I'll be able to retire. I don't have near the pay that you do, but I'm sure you think that's my fault too. Let me remind you that you don't know dick and balls about anyone or their situation on here, OF.

Oldfart

I thought you started working for FedEx in the 70s? Wouldn't you be in your 60s as well right now?

I mean, JHC, you criticize anybody and everybody on here for just about any ridiculous thing. I'm in my 40s but not sure at the moment when I'll be able to retire. I don't have near the pay that you do, but I'm sure you think that's my fault too. Let me remind you that you don't know dick and balls about anyone or their situation on here, OF.
Just hit my 60's. Just giving him some of his own medicine. You can criticize me and say I don't know anything about you. Meanwhile when I make posts about things that are true and factual, I am called names. Pot meet kettle.

Have you studied the RLA today or do you have it memorized by now?

dezguy

Just hit my 60's. Just giving him some of his own medicine. You can criticize me and say I don't know anything about you. Meanwhile when I make posts about things that are true and factual, I am called names. Pot meet kettle.

Have you studied the RLA today or do you have it memorized by now?
Where did I criticize you? You made a comment and I made a post quoting that comment. You chose to reply. That's how meeage boards usually work. You're the one who made the backhanded remark, quelle suprise.

Obviously we differ on what retirement is supposed to be. Because you decide to continue working, does that make my opinion any less?

Go work 3 jobs, in retirement; I couldn't care less. I stated that once I'm retired, I'm done working.