Should we be concerned?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Staydryitsraining

What exactly do you see happening? All the companies that use ups and fedex going to Amazon? Who is a direct competitor? I just dont get this idea, sure some volume is gonna disappear but to think ups is in trouble just is a dooms day idea.

MethodsMan

What exactly do you see happening? All the companies that use ups and fedex going to Amazon? Who is a direct competitor? I just dont get this idea, sure some volume is gonna disappear but to think ups is in trouble just is a dooms day idea.

Yeah I’m not really too concerned. I’m just curious everyone else’s take on it. Still 11 hour dispatches out here.

Dumbo

They suspended their shipping service. So much of UPS is from shipping and servicing their warehouse clients. Amazon tried it and gave up. They will stick to delivering their own stuff for probably at least the next 5-10 years is my guess.

Johney

Pineapple King
When you see an Amazon truck backed up to Joe Blows nut and bolt factory picking up those hundred boxes of nut and bolts headed to Lowes or Home Depot then I'd worry. Till then(if ever) I think they'll worry about their own packages.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Just because amazon ships a lot doesn’t concern me. I see more target, Walmart, sams, petco, old navy :censored2: than I do amazon

Overpaid Union Thug

When you see an Amazon truck backed up to Joe Blows nut and bolt factory picking up those hundred boxes of nut and bolts headed to Lowes or Home Depot then I'd worry. Till then(if ever) I think they'll worry about their own packages.
Just because amazon ships a lot doesn’t concern me. I see more target, Walmart, sams, petco, old navy :censored2: than I do amazon
The lazier Americans get the more Amazon grows. The Targets, Walmart’s, Sams, etc will lose even more business to Amazon and will divert what little market share they have left to FedEx Ground and the USPS in an attempt to recover profits. I see more of those already going to SurePost already. In the very near future UPS won’t be the big kid in the block anymore. Joe Blows Nuts & Bolts and SurePost accounts will keep us in business. But our pension fund might take a beating down the road.

barnyard

KTM rider
Amazon tried to service my delivery area several years ago. At that time, it failed. There was not enough density for them to do it. 2 or 3 months ago, they tried again. The zip code of my delivery area is covered by 4 FT UPS routes (prepandemic) it was up to 4.5 routes in April and May. Since Amazon started, we are back to 4 FT routes.

From what I see, the pie has gotten so much larger that the volume that Amazon is now delivering themselves was not really noticed in my building. They would need to cover my building's entire delivery area to see an effect and that will not happen until they build a warehouse that is much closer.

Also, if you read the story and look at the photos, a lot of the stuff they are delivering appears to be non-perishables that you get at the grocery store or Target or Walmart.

Last edited:

moldsporh

IMO, if UPS used Walmart as a source for what should be a UPS store, then we could really bring the hurt.

Turn all those purchases into a local delivery since there's pretty much a Walmart in every town. Would be an epic merger.

JustDeliverIt

IMO, if UPS used Walmart as a source for what should be a UPS store, then we could really bring the hurt.

Turn all those purchases into a local delivery since there's pretty much a Walmart in every town. Would be an epic merger.

Walmart hates union labor as much as Amazon does. Have a better chance of Walmart and Amazon merging.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
Walmart hates union labor as much as Amazon does. Have a better chance of Walmart and Amazon merging.
That may be true but between the Amazon drivers leaving their package cars in gear and hitting houses and the Walmart people getting hit in the head by falling prices they will be unable to compete with Big-Brown.:thumbup1:

El Correcto

god is dead
They have a slice of those pies as well(aside from maybe Walmart). A lot of businesses are complacent with amazon and help them grow. While selling their goods amazon slaps ads for their own products that directly compete with those they are selling when they can.

Fulfilled by amazon on target, petco, old navy, etc.

It doesn’t matter if amazon accounts for less than 10% of UPS’s business when it has its hands wrapped around well over 10%. The pain amazon could end up inflicting on all delivery companies shouldn’t be under estimated in the coming decades.

Poop Head

Judge me.
They have a slice of those pies as well(aside from maybe Walmart). A lot of businesses are complacent with amazon and help them grow. While selling their goods amazon slaps ads for their own products that directly compete with those they are selling when they can.

Fulfilled by amazon on target, petco, old navy, etc.

It doesn’t matter if amazon accounts for less than 10% of UPS’s business when it has its hands wrapped around well over 10%. The pain amazon could end up inflicting on all delivery companies shouldn’t be under estimated in the coming decades.
Sounds like something a nazi would say

4on3off

20.000 after holiday drivers gone. It predicted 5years ago. But now. Amazon has 85/90 pct turn over
I work for Amazon as a driver and the turnover is truly unbelievable. I see new people getting trained seemingly every other day and hear about people quitting in groups after 2 weeks or a month. There's like 15 people who I've seen for more than 3 months. Eventually it seems like they would run out of people to hire in the area as it becomes saturated with people who quit.