Does anyone have experience working in an automated building?

Coldworld

We have been an automated building for over four years now. This plan has been in motion for over a decade.
If they are automatic why do they always have now hiring banners outside the perimeter fence and up on the buildings??? Thought this "automation" was supposed to wipe out the union ranks?

Coldworld

Well you know they're going to cut every job they can

And even if we got busier we don't have enough people or package cars to accommodate more work.
We are going to get busier...the volume is down, they will have to hire eventually...maybe at a rate higher than what they got in this contract...to get people in the door. Better not tell @Wally this!

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
If they are automatic why do they always have now hiring banners outside the perimeter fence and up on the buildings??? Thought this "automation" was supposed to wipe out the union ranks?

Still need quite a few actual employees to run it. In theory they process more volume for the amount of workers

Over70irregs

A few weeks ago we had the local super aggressively pushing D.R.I.V.E donations in parking lot. They brought out their huge BBQ/smoker(for just hot dogs) and all kinds of teamster gear to give anyone signing up. Their main focus was pushing for legislation guaranteeing all jobs automated would be protected with some sort of retraining. I don't know how achievable that is though.
They are hedging. They know…

Thebrownblob

We went we lost no jobs to automation here. This simply changed what they do. Lots of standing around.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
A few weeks ago we had the local super aggressively pushing D.R.I.V.E donations in parking lot. They brought out their huge BBQ/smoker(for just hot dogs) and all kinds of teamster gear to give anyone signing up. Their main focus was pushing for legislation guaranteeing all jobs automated would be protected with some sort of retraining. I don't know how achievable that is though.
Lol, D.R.I.V.E. The real "main focus" was separating you from your money.

Retraining? How do you protect non-existent jobs with legislative? Ask any package car driver laid off for months after Xmas. All you can do is wait for an opening or seek another job.

Thebrownblob

Lol, D.R.I.V.E. The real "main focus" was separating you from your money.

Retraining? How do you protect non-existent jobs with legislative? Ask any package car driver laid off for months after Xmas. All you can do is wait for an opening or seek another job.
Separated me from your money? Most people give a dollar a week.. I don’t think they’re going to miss that.

There’s lots of legislation that has been pushed back against for example, self driving trucks. Recently. if you don’t think it’s important to push against that kind of legislation then don’t give a dollar I guess if it’s going to put you in the poorhouse.

A large portion of that money goes to your local union and you have direct input on who they give it to.