Storming the Capitol

newfie

1613004640060.png

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
No need to name call just because you didn't know Trump was still President when impeached and you don't have a substantive argument to support your viewpoint on the Senate trial.
You really are a dimocrat. Selectively quoting someone is disingenuous.

@1989 was the one arguing that Trump is no longer President, and therefore The Constitution need not be followed.

MY argument is that if he's no longer President that the Senate need not complete the impeachment process, or that if he is being tried as President, the Constitution must be followed.

You really are a dimocrat. Selectively quoting someone is disingenuous.

@1989 was the one arguing that Trump is no longer President, and therefore The Constitution need not be followed.

MY argument is that if he's no longer President that the Senate need not complete the impeachment process, or that if he is being tried as President, the Constitution must be followed.
There is nothing in the constitution that says trump cannot be tried for his actions as president. Because the Chief Justice is not presiding, he is not being tried as a president. But as a non-president

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
There is nothing in the constitution that says trump cannot be tried for his actions as president. Because the Chief Justice is not presiding, he is not being tried as a president. But as a non-president

Wrong. Congress may not prosecute private citizens. That's the prerogative of the executive branch. It's called separation of powers.
Articles 1, 2, and 3.

It will be fine

Wrong. Congress may not prosecute private citizens. That's the prerogative of the executive branch. It's called separation of powers.
Articles 1, 2, and 3.
He’s not being prosecuted. It’s not a judicial preceding. The people’s branch is deciding if the executive violated his oath and if he should be barred from holding public office again. It’s literally the basic check of the legislative branch against the executive.

Returntosender

These right wing LARPers truly have the mindset of children. In their infantile minds, they were going to simply fly home and go on with their lives without any thought that there would be consequences.

These people are privileged but privilege is not absolute. It will only take you so far depending on the circumstances. Their mistake is thinking it will give them 100% protection.

Macbrother

Man, I love the amount of legal scholars on this thread. How many lawyers do we have here? Law professors? Historians? Show of hands, guys.

Anyway, not a chance in hell he gets convicted. The GOP base would be in open rebellion. I'll be shocked if 8 R senators flip.

Sportello

Man, I love the amount of legal scholars on this thread. How many lawyers do we have here? Law professors? Historians? Show of hands, guys.

Anyway, not a chance in hell he gets convicted. The GOP base would be in open rebellion. I'll be shocked if 8 R senators flip.
Wait until you meet the guys who are not only legal scholars, but also epidemiologists. Most drive or load trucks in their spare time.