Stupid arguments about the Ground business model

FedGT

Found this video of bacha fighting the concept of FedEx Ground as a business.

That’s giving way too much credit. Find something similar with this comparable thing.

1609038500603.jpeg

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

I don’t know. The guys who have come to me have been playing soccer and one played baseball. The ones who hunt fish and trap haven’t applied yet. They might be decent. The ones that really excel are the ones that have been coached for about 15 years and already have a team concept ingrained in them.
Those guys won't be working for you very long when they find out what UPS drivers make and they've been hiring off the street the past few years.

bbsam

Staff member
Never could figure out why, If it’s a team am I doing all the work
Had a supe that used to pull the team BS all the time
Told him I’am a one man team
Exactly. But everyone knows who is putting forth the effort and who’s jackin’ it. Those who aren’t pulling their weight can and will be replaced and we get to the point where everyone knows that if help is needed, it’s really needed. We have a couple drivers probably on their way out and everyone is happy about it.

It will be fine

Those guys won't be working for you very long when they find out what UPS drivers make and they've been hiring off the street the past few years.
Same as it ever was, turnover is expected and it’s not a big deal. Most drivers don’t see this job as long term, they’d be taking a pay cut for their first couple years going to UPS and have to work much harder, much later in the day. They don’t plan on doing this for years so the trade off isn’t as easy as you think it is.

MAKAVELI

Same as it ever was, turnover is expected and it’s not a big deal. Most drivers don’t see this job as long term, they’d be taking a pay cut for their first couple years going to UPS and have to work much harder, much later in the day. They don’t plan on doing this for years so the trade off isn’t as easy as you think it is.
When you are young and have work ethic, there is no trade off and much easier to switch than you think.

AB831

Turnover is pretty high for ground. How do you know where they're going?
He doesn’t. He’s just a blowhard who thinks he’s smart despite being wrong about almost everything he spouts off about. He actually tried to argue with me over what state I live in.

It will be fine

Turnover is pretty high for ground. How do you know where they're going?
I’ve been doing this for decades and have literally never heard of a driver leaving and going to drive for UPS. It obviously doesn’t happen with any frequency for a Ground contractor to care what compensation UPS offers.

MAKAVELI

I’ve been doing this for decades and have literally never heard of a driver leaving and going to drive for UPS. It obviously doesn’t happen with any frequency for a Ground contractor to care what compensation UPS offers.
And you'd probably be right decades ago. But UPS has just recently started hiring drivers off the street due to increase in volume and retirements.