Stupid arguments about the Ground business model

bacha29

I'm thinking FedGT has got the upper hand on this one. Dano couldn't quite pull it off, Falconetti can only name call. Nope, looks like the new guy came armed with logic you can't counter. Down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier!! What a fitting ending to a terrible year!
He's simply bragging about his personal success which has nothing to do with the crux of the matter. That being the strict and tightly constrained terms under which a so called "independent contractor" has to abide by and whether or not it still meets the generally accepted definition of what is a "business". Terms the existence of which he doesn't deny.

It will be fine

He's simply bragging about his personal success which has nothing to do with the crux of the matter. That being the strict and tightly constrained terms under which a so called "independent contractor" has to abide by and whether or not it still meets the generally accepted definition of what is a "business". Terms the existence of which he doesn't deny.
So what did you sell when you left if it wasn’t a business?

falcon back

1609025711568.png

I believe bacha is very familiar with this piece of equipment.

dmac1

If you find someone to pay you to get a referral to take your place when you quit a job, and the company wants to hire the person you refer instead of taking applications from everyone, it doesn't mean you have a business, so receiving a payment is irrelevant. Fedex gets a lot of benefit by employees making a large investment in the job. I would bet that MOST UPS drivers, with NO investment, have a higher annual total compensation package then MOST contractors. Add up hourly compensation, medical, dental, retirement, any matching contributions, paid holidays, paid vacation, they likely clear more that a contractor with even 5-7 trucks. I know that I only made $50-$100 per week net(before MY taxes) from each driver, but of course I paid my drivers a fair amount of what they earned, even if what I could pay them was much less than someone taking the risk of driving on public roads every day for 8 or even more hours deserves. I wouldn't risk my life for what some of the other contractors paid, was barely willing to do it for fedex once I realized the scam. In the first year of FEDEX HD, they completely changed the work model from what they had promised.

It will be fine

If you find someone to pay you to get a referral to take your place when you quit a job, and the company wants to hire the person you refer instead of taking applications from everyone, it doesn't mean you have a business, so receiving a payment is irrelevant. Fedex gets a lot of benefit by employees making a large investment in the job. I would bet that MOST UPS drivers, with NO investment, have a higher annual total compensation package then MOST contractors. Add up hourly compensation, medical, dental, retirement, any matching contributions, paid holidays, paid vacation, they likely clear more that a contractor with even 5-7 trucks. I know that I only made $50-$100 per week net(before MY taxes) from each driver, but of course I paid my drivers a fair amount of what they earned, even if what I could pay them was much less than someone taking the risk of driving on public roads every day for 8 or even more hours deserves. I wouldn't risk my life for what some of the other contractors paid, was barely willing to do it for fedex once I realized the scam. In the first year of FEDEX HD, they completely changed the work model from what they had promised.
That just sounds like you weren’t very good at running the business side of the operation. Most contractors make much more than most UPS drivers while doing much less work.

bacha29

That just sounds like you weren’t very good at running the business side of the operation. Most contractors make much more than most UPS drivers while doing much less work.
That's if you're in a labor market where you can get people to work for fast food wages or on piece work like you pay. So tell me , do you pay by the number of bales of cotton they can pick or by the totes full of apples they can pick?

bbsam

Staff member
That's if you're in a labor market where you can get people to work for fast food wages or on piece work like you pay. So tell me , do you pay by the number of bales of cotton they can pick or by the totes full of apples they can pick?
Find some young folks who’ve been in sports all their lives and you’ve got a pretty good candidate. Currently I have about six. Can build a pretty good business with this kind of employee.

bacha29

It's only a matter of time until he'll have to give a guy everything the route makes just to get them to run it. The vast majority of the people who tried that multi route nonsense at my terminal quit on account of the fact that the 50-75 a week they were getting out of it simply wasn't enough to justify the headaches .

Not to mention things like having to turn you private records over and even if you wanted to hire a guy he had to be somebody that was agreeable to Fat Freddy.

And to this day GT and IWBF continue to fail to identify the specific autonomies and latitudes that would clearly identify and recognize the true independence that would otherwise recognize them as having a business.

dmac1

That's BS. A UPS driver has compensation of well over $100k with no investment. My business ran fine, but fedex did not allow any contractor more than two contracts at that time in my terminal, and did not allow you to own routes out of multiple terminals, It was their 'policy' not in the contract that limited a contractor to only 15% of the terminal, and they were not allowing HD to own Ground and vice versa. Try running 4 trucks on two contracts yourself, with no supplemental vehicle pay 10 months of the year which I made profitable by driving part time myself, while paying a livable wage. You have NEVER done that. When they promise 'unlimited' potential, it is a lie when in fact there are strict limits. I didn't want to work for a company that lied, while some don't care.

bacha29

Find some young folks who’ve been in sports all their lives and you’ve got a pretty good candidate. Currently I have about six. Can build a pretty good business with this kind of employee.
Gee, I didn't know that Tom brady and Lebron James worked for you in the off season. Furthermore, I don't know what guys who hunt, fish, and trap would bring to your so called "business" That's sports too you know.

bacha29

That's BS. A UPS driver has compensation of well over $100k with no investment. My business ran fine, but fedex did not allow any contractor more than two contracts at that time in my terminal, and did not allow you to own routes out of multiple terminals, It was their 'policy' not in the contract that limited a contractor to only 15% of the terminal, and they were not allowing HD to own Ground and vice versa. Try running 4 trucks on two contracts yourself, with no supplemental vehicle pay 10 months of the year which I made profitable by driving part time myself, while paying a livable wage. You have NEVER done that. When they promise 'unlimited' potential, it is a lie when in fact there are strict limits. I didn't want to work for a company that lied, while some don't care.
Bingo . My TM demanded that I send a so called "supplemental" out everyday. I said to him..."whoa bucko show me the contract language that requires the deployment of a supplemental . Furthermore , what language does the contract use to define a supplemental? As far as I'm concerned sending the so called "supplemental" out on a daily basis is not a "supplemental" but rather it's a noncontracted route".

There again it all comes down to contract language. And a you and I both know there wasn't nearly enough language to clearly establish the boundaries between company and contractor. And nothing angered them more than when a contractor saw the opportunity to take what unilaterally drafted language that did exist..... and make them eat it.

It will be fine

Bingo . My TM demanded that I send a so called "supplemental" out everyday. I said to him..."whoa bucko show me the contract language that requires the deployment of a supplemental . Furthermore , what language does the contract use to define a supplemental? As far as I'm concerned sending the so called "supplemental" out on a daily basis is not a "supplemental" but rather it's a noncontracted route".

There again it all comes down to contract language. And a you and I both know there wasn't nearly enough language to clearly establish the boundaries between company and contractor. And nothing angered them more than when a contractor saw the opportunity to take what unilaterally drafted language that did exist..... and make them eat it.
You guys are complaining about terms and conditions that haven’t existed in 10 years.

bbsam

Staff member
Gee, I didn't know that Tom brady and Lebron James worked for you in the off season. Furthermore, I don't know what guys who hunt, fish, and trap would bring to your so called "business" That's sports too you know.
I don’t know. The guys who have come to me have been playing soccer and one played baseball. The ones who hunt fish and trap haven’t applied yet. They might be decent. The ones that really excel are the ones that have been coached for about 15 years and already have a team concept ingrained in them.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I don’t know. The guys who have come to me have been playing soccer and one played baseball. The ones who hunt fish and trap haven’t applied yet. They might be decent. The ones that really excel are the ones that have been coached for about 15 years and already have a team concept ingrained in them.

"Team Concept"
Lmao

bacha29

You guys are complaining about terms and conditions that haven’t existed in 10 years.
One thing hasn't changed and never will change. There's not a damn thing that you and you're so called "business" do in a day that is not subject to direct oversight on the part of FXG. Just exactly what defines what you have as being a "business'? What part of it is NOT subject to FXG oversight and control? Aside from the only truly independent initiative you actually have. The right to decide independently when you are no longer willing to be subjected to that control.

FXG is NOT your customer..... FXG is your MASTER.