Stupid arguments about the Ground business model

AB831

Do you believe that’s some type of revelation? It’s called risk. If I wanted to be an employee I could be. I prefer the rewards that come along with the financial risk I’m taking.
With the amount of ownership that Fat Freddy has of your ass, you might as well be an employee. Hell, his actual employees have more freedom from him than you do. At least they can quit.

It will be fine

With the amount of ownership that Fat Freddy has of your ass, you might as well be an employee. Hell, his actual employees have more freedom from him than you do. At least they can quit.
I need to give a 30 day notice to walk mid contract. I’ve seen a few choose not to renew after a year. I don’t think you appreciate the impact of contractor turnover on FedEx Ground’s service.

bacha29

"A business is defined as an organization or enterprising entity engaged in commercial, industrial, or professional activities. ... The term "business" also refers to the organized efforts and activities of individuals to produce and sell goods and services for profit." Business

Sounds to me like you two are hung up on the term 'independent' and not the argument you are making regarding a business.

Now wipe that egg from your face.
Hookers and drug dealers are businessmen too. But unlike IWBF they can sell to whoever they want and name their price. IWBF? Not so much.

zeev

I feel that FedEx contractors provide wholesale transportation and that is a business. Wholesale businesses make a little money on each dollar due to they don't have the headaches of finding customers, setting up billing, sales, marketing, etc; FedEx does all that. They do one thing delivery and pickup packages and that is it and they do it over and over. Do things change over the years, yes, like any other business.

Only having one customer is not a normal way of doing business, it is extremely risky. The benefit is for them is that FedEx (I assume) still pays timely. That doesn't happen in the business world, try calling a customer every week and having to wait over a year to get paid or never get paid. Run out of cash to pay your creditors due to customers not paying you. You can have someone owe you $20,000 dollars and you can go under because you can't pay your lease/rent payment at the end of the month. With FedEx, you know everyday there will be work that has to be completed, it may slow down or go through the roof, but there is work everyday. How many small businesses wish they had that problem.

The risk is if FedEx changes their business model and goes to employee drivers (which is very unlikely), goes out of business, new competition, or the law changes. As long as they provide a good service, there is no reason for FedEx to end the relationship. If the relationship with FedEx ends, they can still startup their own delivery company with the equipment they have, but will have to create everything else that goes with a delivery company.

Many businesses go under everyday and they have nothing to show for it either. They may have equipment they have to sell off or scrap. This is not unique, I don't know why most of you think that doesn't make them a business or less than a business. If you own a pizza place and you go out of business and you own a pizza ovens, tables, chairs, drink machine, dough mixer, shelving, pans, glasses, etc. Those items may be worn down as well. What do you do those business owners do with their equipment?

From reading the comments on this board, I would venture most have never started and run a successful business full time. Customers will dictate what they want and how they want it and many times it is spelled out in contracts. They give you unrealistic deadlines, get mad at you for not completing something due to their negligence. There is no one that helps you, you are on your own. You get sick, you still have to run your business, no one else will run it for you. Until you own a business full time for a few years, you will never understand.
I feel that FedEx contractors provide wholesale transportation and that is a business. Wholesale businesses make a little money on each dollar due to they don't have the headaches of finding customers, setting up billing, sales, marketing, etc; FedEx does all that. They do one thing delivery and pickup packages and that is it and they do it over and over. Do things change over the years, yes, like any other business.

Only having one customer is not a normal way of doing business, it is extremely risky. The benefit is for them is that FedEx (I assume) still pays timely. That doesn't happen in the business world, try calling a customer every week and having to wait over a year to get paid or never get paid. Run out of cash to pay your creditors due to customers not paying you. You can have someone owe you $20,000 dollars and you can go under because you can't pay your lease/rent payment at the end of the month. With FedEx, you know everyday there will be work that has to be completed, it may slow down or go through the roof, but there is work everyday. How many small businesses wish they had that problem.

The risk is if FedEx changes their business model and goes to employee drivers (which is very unlikely), goes out of business, new competition, or the law changes. As long as they provide a good service, there is no reason for FedEx to end the relationship. If the relationship with FedEx ends, they can still startup their own delivery company with the equipment they have, but will have to create everything else that goes with a delivery company.

Many businesses go under everyday and they have nothing to show for it either. They may have equipment they have to sell off or scrap. This is not unique, I don't know why most of you think that doesn't make them a business or less than a business. If you own a pizza place and you go out of business and you own a pizza ovens, tables, chairs, drink machine, dough mixer, shelving, pans, glasses, etc. Those items may be worn down as well. What do you do those business owners do with their equipment?

From reading the comments on this board, I would venture most have never started and run a successful business full time. Customers will dictate what they want and how they want it and many times it is spelled out in contracts. They give you unrealistic deadlines, get mad at you for not completing something due to their negligence. There is no one that helps you, you are on your own. You get sick, you still have to run your business, no one else will run it for you. Until you own a business full time for a few years, you will never understand.
Question when contractors pay for a route is that for a customer base or a geographic area? Is it a 1 year contract ? Did the old RPS do this ? I assume FedEx has the authority and pays the insurance and these contractors lease on with X.

It will be fine

Question when contractors pay for a route is that for a customer base or a geographic area? Is it a 1 year contract ? Did the old RPS do this ? I assume FedEx has the authority and pays the insurance and these contractors lease on with X.
When you purchase from another contractor you are buying the rights to a geographic area. You only have a one year contract. RPS did the same but in those days contractors gave area away when new contractors came on. Not many people saw the value in areas until the lawsuits forced owners to have multiple routes. FedEx is the motor carrier that contractors lease under.

dmac1

Unfortunately, his ‘business’ plan is not unique in America. There are myriad businesses that exist to service a single customer.
And there are plenty of states where having only one so-called 'customer' who sets the rules for how you operate makes you an employee, not a business owner, even if you have to hire help.

In Oregon, for one exam[le, those people you hire could be found to be fedex employees. Fedex had to drop a case in front of the state's Supreme Court in order to prevent setting a precedent because they had no way to argue. Several contractor drivers were found to be fedex employees by lower courts, with fedex liable for unemployments taxes, worker's comp, etc.

That is when fedex started requiring proof that the contract owner was actually paying the state taxes and prohibiting payment to drivers as subcontractors.

I still find it crazy that fedex can hire contractors to deliver packages, but they DEMAND that anyone they contract with to hire employees.

That requirement to hire drivers as employees is one of the conditions that takes away autonomy from contractors and makes it just as likely that the 'contractor' would be found to actually be employees of fedex if fedex was their only 'client' but because fedex ensures that all employment taxes are paid, they are covered for that liability.

Uber, Lyft, Grubhub, etc can all hire 'contractors' to do their deliveries, but a fedex 'contractor can't?????? That makes sense.
Liability and the simplicity of unionizing if fedex ground hired employees are THE only reasons to set up fake contractors

dmac1

When you purchase from another contractor you are buying the rights to a geographic area. You only have a one year contract. RPS did the same but in those days contractors gave area away when new contractors came on. Not many people saw the value in areas until the lawsuits forced owners to have multiple routes. FedEx is the motor carrier that contractors lease under.
That is wrong. All you are buying is the right to continue the contract until it expires IF fedex doesn't decide to cancel it You have ZERO rights to a geographical area when fedex reserves the right to change it due to operational needs. Buying a right to finish out a contract that actually gives you no concrete rights is nuts if the price is more than the amount of profit you can earn before the contract reaches the expiration date.

And contractors don't lease vehicles under fedex authority. They operate under fedex authoroty, which is different. If fedex was the owner of the vehicle, you might be able to lease from them, but you seem to have it backwards. The fact is that if you also lease the vehicle from fedex, you are LESS likely to really be an independent business. The leasing company will come after you- not fedex. You should REALLY know that.

dmac1

Your accounts if Ground dissolves your contract.
Most likely if dissolved you'll lose your "business" and the house you "own."
The IRS ONLY cares about collecting taxes owed. If taxes are paid, they don't care. If you try to complain about your status, you will get a form letter saying that the IRS declines to rule in the matter as they did with me and other contractors who challenged the lack of freedom a business deserves. Because all my taxes were paid- by me- they declined to rule, and the cost of trying to recover taxes fedex should have been paying was less than what I would have recovered in court.. And again, fedex makes sure you pay your taxes so they never face the issue

dmac1

Where are you getting lost? My business provides service for a single customer. Without customers businesses don’t exist.
Under many state laws, servicing only one customer makes it more likely that you are an employee, so that is a terrible argument if you are trying to prove you are an independent business. If anything you are a DEpendent of fedex.

It will be fine

That is wrong. All you are buying is the right to continue the contract until it expires IF fedex doesn't decide to cancel it You have ZERO rights to a geographical area when fedex reserves the right to change it due to operational needs. Buying a right to finish out a contract that actually gives you no concrete rights is nuts if the price is more than the amount of profit you can earn before the contract reaches the expiration date.

And contractors don't lease vehicles under fedex authority. They operate under fedex authoroty, which is different. If fedex was the owner of the vehicle, you might be able to lease from them, but you seem to have it backwards. The fact is that if you also lease the vehicle from fedex, you are LESS likely to really be an independent business. The leasing company will come after you- not fedex. You should REALLY know that.
You might want to look up what lease means in this scenario. The entire operating agreement is the lease agreement to operate under Grounds authority. It’s called leasing on to a motor carrier and is a very standard practice in transportation. It’s so standard there are DOT regulations governing them.

dmac1

Being a business or an employee is defined by laws, not feeling. The courts decided over and over that fedex 'contractors were EMPLOYEES even if they hired others to help them. Fedex made sure to cover their butts by limiting their liability so it is harder for a contractor to get to court, so the courts haven't yet ruled on the current contract, but overall conditions are the same, except that fedex now ensures their liabilty it limited by stricter requirements, including audits of all contractor operating records.

oldrps

Being a business or an employee is defined by laws, not feeling. The courts decided over and over that fedex 'contractors were EMPLOYEES even if they hired others to help them. Fedex made sure to cover their butts by limiting their liability so it is harder for a contractor to get to court, so the courts haven't yet ruled on the current contract, but overall conditions are the same, except that fedex now ensures their liabilty it limited by stricter requirements, including audits of all contractor operating records.
What law defines what a business is?

bacha29

Spot on. Demanding access to a privately held corporation's operating records for the purpose of audit and evaluation as is the case of Fedex demanding that of it's ground contractors and for no other reason than to protect it's interests is something I'm sure will eventually be challenged. Who ever heard of such a thing? You don't hire a contractor to replace your roof conditional upon granting your demand to see his company's records.

Moreover if any information gleaned from that audit is not to THEIR so called "STANDARDS" it's "hasta la vista baby" even if those records and practices are otherwise in full compliance with GAAP and the law in general. In doing so they are taking the law into their own hands. Clear testament as to how shaky and unstable the legal grounds the model sits on actually is. Just think. If the IRS and or law enforcement wanted to do what Fat Freddy demands of Ground contractors they would have to get a court order and a warrant.

If IWBF wants to proclaim what he has is a "business" it will be for no other reasons that to pet his ego and to give him a completely undeserved sense of self importance. But they are about as credible as Trump's claim of having won the election.

dmac1

What law defines what a business is?
Employment law determines whether you are really a business or just an employee forced to take on added liabilities fedex is requiring. You should know that if you are involved in fedex ground. Fedex lost national and state cases across the country, and made some superficial changes requiring the contractor to risk more loss if they tried to argue.

dmac1

You might want to look up what lease means in this scenario. The entire operating agreement is the lease agreement to operate under Grounds authority. It’s called leasing on to a motor carrier and is a very standard practice in transportation. It’s so standard there are DOT regulations governing them.
The agreement is leasing YOUR vehicle to fedex, not the other way around as you implied. And it is not a standard lease. It contains much more than just a standard lease. And for you to focus your entire rebuttal on one word shows how little you have. Under the law, if you can be considered an employee- it means that you do NOT have a business.

dmac1

I have a business where I go in daily, punch a time clock, and agree to let the company that pays me write checks to the IRS, etc on my behalf. But what I do is my business, so even if I clock in, and make a guaranteed minimum for doing that, I am a business owner, not an employee. I FEEL like it is a business.

It will be fine

The agreement is leasing YOUR vehicle to fedex, not the other way around as you implied. And it is not a standard lease. It contains much more than just a standard lease. And for you to focus your entire rebuttal on one word shows how little you have. Under the law, if you can be considered an employee- it means that you do NOT have a business.
My rebuttal is demonstrating your clear lack of understanding of the terms in the discussion.