Sweet Home Chicago!

rod

Retired 22 years
Gotta think long term. Education and employment opportunities for the next generation of would-be gang bangers.

That's kind of like trying to break the "living on welfare" from one generation to the next thing isn't it? Next to impossible. There are stories of kids taking the right path and amounting to something so the education thing is available if someone wants it. Jobs come hand in hand with an education. I'm a white guy from the upper mid-west so I'm the first to admit I really have no clue.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Just my opinion but I don't think the gang bangers are at all interested in education or 9 to 5 jobs. I think it would be just flushing more money down the toilet.
They're a lost cause, it's their kids that we're interested in. The education sector usually gets the shaft because positive changes won't be realized till the political parties have changed. If no one can take credit for it then what's the point.....

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
That's kind of like trying to break the "living on welfare" from one generation to the next thing isn't it? Next to impossible.
Well ya, with that attitude it will be impossible.
There are stories of kids taking the right path and amounting to something so the education thing is available if someone wants it.
That's what you call an anecdotal fallacy, the results are in the sum not the exceptions.
Jobs come hand in hand with an education.
Exactly, education is an economic issue. Manufacturing jobs are gone and aren't coming back. If we want to invest in the future of this country, we need to start with education.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Forget going to college , all it seems to do is not prepare you for the real world .
Increase Tech Schools instead .
Give everyone a skill or maybe two .

Fenris

You can disagree with me but check out who the victims were before you do.

I did say a small difference. I am aware of who the victims are, largely gang members who are presumably armed, with too many innocent bystanders who range from children to grandparents. But not all victims fall in that category, just most. Some could directly benefit from being able to defend themselves, and if the members of the community were better armed, it may deter some of the blatant violence.

Fenris

Just my opinion but I don't think the gang bangers are at all interested in education or 9 to 5 jobs. I think it would be just flushing more money down the toilet.

Improving job opportunities and education doesn't need to cost money. Chicago's exorbitent taxes and regulations hurt job opportunities, no money required to change that. Chicago also spends more money per pupil than the statewide average, with results that are below average. It is not about the money but how the schools are run, and to whose benefit.

BrownArmy

Improving job opportunities and education doesn't need to cost money. Chicago's exorbitent taxes and regulations hurt job opportunities, no money required to change that. Chicago also spends more money per pupil than the statewide average, with results that are below average. It is not about the money but how the schools are run, and to whose benefit.

Betsy will fix it.

Lulz.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
All the teachers care about is their salaries , it's not their fault the kids don't want to learn .
But every time someone mentions something about cutting school spending and the teachers are outraged . Not for the students but for their paychecks .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
See all the negative Facebook postings about Betsy DeVos .
See how many educated teachers used a lot of bad words to degrade her .

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
All the teachers care about is their salaries , it's not their fault the kids don't want to learn .
But every time someone mentions something about cutting school spending and the teachers are outraged . Not for the students but for their paychecks .
It's a job not charity work. Who hell wouldn't be up in arms over a pay cut?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Normally functioning businesses expect to see production increases and decrease to adjustments to the markets . The workers in these businesses can expect the same treatment .
However public school teachers hold themselves to a higher standard , even if there is a reduction of incoming students they still expect , per union contract , to keep their jobs . It's for the children , you know .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I worked under contracts for decades and I never knew if I had a job tomorrow .
From 1986-1999 , I was an exception air driver . In all those years my pay rate only went up $1.11 usd , starting pay was a $10 usd . ( plus $.10/mile if I had to use my own vehicle )
One contract back in the 90's created the air driver classification starting at $13.50 usd , but my classification was not included in those pay raises .
But I did the same air work as any other air driver .
Yes , I did grieve it .
But you know the answer .

It will be fine

I'm not following your "logic." The claim was CPS would be fixed by politicians standing up to the teacher unions. I don't follow how lowering funding and paying teachers less will improve a school system. The schools are subpar but if we make being a teacher less attractive in compensation and job security that will fix it? How will that attract better candidates for teaching jobs?