Tattoo Discrimination

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
This thread has sort of lost sight of its original point.

It isn't a debate about whether or not the company has the right to enforce appearance standards. It does.
It isn't a debate about whether or not tattoos are tacky, or a poor lifestyle choice, or indicative of antisocial behavior...because those are personal opinions and none of them are relevant.

The debate is whether or not a person who is willing and able to cover his tattoos and comply with UPS appearance standards should be arbitrarily denied the opportunity for promotion to a driving position.

If it is OK for drivers in my building to cover their tats, why cant the OP cover his tats?
You reside in the more liberal Northwest.
OP lives in a very conservative Southern state.
Can only guess this has something to do with the differences in appearance standards.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You reside in the more liberal Northwest.
OP lives in a very conservative Southern state.
Can only guess this has something to do with the differences in appearance standards.
Sounds to me like the real difference is that he has crap for union representation. The appearance standards say no visible tats. He can cover his tats, just like thousands of other UPS drivers do every day. Why is he being singled out?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Sounds to me like the real difference is that he has crap for union representation. The appearance standards say no visible tats. He can cover his tats, just like thousands of other UPS drivers do every day. Why is he being singled out?
Conservative anti-union South equates to crappy union representation.

Have tats on each bicep. Sometimes I cover them and sometimes I don't. Nobody cares around here. Being satellited, I only see a supervisor once a year for safety ride anyways.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Agree (somewhat) with what type of business you would hope to operate. As to your analogy, business 101, change is inevitable, change with the times or you'll quickly be out of business! My point being, tats are main stream & aren't going away. Adapt, Embrace, & PROFIT!
Discreet tats are becoming very common (don't know about mainstream).
Full body art tats are far from common.
I know where to go to find them but out of those few small localities, full body art is seldom seen.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Probably.... something, he is not telling us.

-Bug-

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Were you afraid that you might forget to "stay real"?

The-Night-of-the-Hunter-Robert-Mitchum.jpg

boondock.jpg

BigPhoto_09.jpg

With the exception of the Boondock Saints in the second picture, you never see someone wearing hand tattoos in movies who isn't a bad guy. (And the afforementioned Saints are "good guys" who kill people for money).

Hand tattoos are usually considered to denote connection to violent crime or gang affiliation, and it's been that way for decades. You were aware of the appearance the tattoos would foster when you got them. Tough titties.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The OP's avatar, shows the peace sign he was talking about.

Let's see the "other" arm.... and hand.

Does it have a Marijuana Leaf ??

Bet, it does....

-Bug-

Johnny Paycheck

I could care less what you or anyone else thinks they mean :)
No, but you do care what the company thinks they mean, and it appears the company agrees with me. I'm not saying you're a violent criminal because you have hand tats, I'm saying you were aware that it would appear that way (or maybe you thought they were just "tough") and you were a-okay with giving that impression. Actions have consequences. Tough titties. From what I've read so far, you aren't mature enough that I would trust you with a package car anyway.

Last edited:

Marne Vet

I could care less what you or anyone else thinks they mean :)

You ABSOLUTELY care what anyone else, including UPS, thinks about your tattoos, or you wouldn't have started this thread to bitch about them. You got them there, and couldn't care less what anyone thought about them at the time, so deal with your awesome decision and move along. You limited yourself to certain careers when you "couldn't care less" and got those tats on your arms and hands, and now because you couldn't get the big picture at the time you thought they were so freaking awesome, are perplexed why a company, or anyone would think having them there is a bad idea? Come on. You're not stupid are you? [Looks at his hand tats again] Oh wait, never mind.

I don't buy anyones excuse as to why they would get a tattoo on their neck or on their hands. It's no secret what Society thinks about them, and definitely not a secret that major corporations won't hire you for certain positions if you have them. If you decide NOT TO CARE WHAT ANYONE THINKS when you get those stupid career killers, then take responsibility for your actions and deal with it. UPS doesn't want them, and this battle has been fought and lost many times over. Maybe there's a job at a local museum where you can pose as a modern art piece? Let me know how that works out.

memberoflocal61

No, but you do care what the company thinks they mean, and it appears the company agrees with me. I'm not saying you're a violent criminal because you have hand tats, I'm saying you were aware that it would appear that way (or maybe you thought they were just "tough") and you were a-okay with giving that impression. Actions have consequences. Tough titties. From what I've read so far, you aren't mature enough that I would trust you with a package car anyway.

I could care less what the company thinks, i know what i do once i clock in...they need to play by their rules and let me cover, you don't know me, i don't except you to trust me...that's how that works

Johnny Paycheck

You ABSOLUTELY care what anyone else, including UPS, thinks about your tattoos, or you wouldn't have started this thread to bitch about them. You got them there, and couldn't care less what anyone thought about them at the time, so deal with your awesome decision and move along. You limited yourself to certain careers when you "couldn't care less" and got those tats on your arms and hands, and now because you couldn't get the big picture at the time you thought they were so freaking awesome, are perplexed why a company, or anyone would think having them there is a bad idea? Come on. You're not stupid are you? [Looks at his hand tats again] Oh wait, never mind.

I don't buy anyones excuse as to why they would get a tattoo on their neck or on their hands. It's no secret what Society thinks about them, and definitely not a secret that major corporations won't hire you for certain positions if you have them. If you decide NOT TO CARE WHAT ANYONE THINKS when you get those stupid career killers, then take responsibility for your actions and deal with it. UPS doesn't want them, and this battle has been fought and lost many times over. Maybe there's a job at a local museum where you can pose as a modern art piece? Let me know how that works out.
6855d1323358621-high-unemployment-linked-increasing-number-face-tattoos-neckfailure.png

Rottenecards_55235100_kcr3y8nk8x.png

Johnny Paycheck

I could care less what the company thinks, i know what i do once i clock in...they need to play by their rules and let me cover, you don't know me, i don't except you to trust me...that's how that works
Glad you don't care. Unfortunately, whether you care or not, the company's opinion of your personal appearance is going to have a massive impact on your career. Maybe you should start caring.

Marne Vet

You care what the company thinks, hence this 12 page thread about how much you "don't" care, but want to know why they won't allow you to cover.

They play by their rules, and this issue has been fought and settled time again.

I don't know you, no, but I do know that anyone dumb enough to cover their hands and arms without thinking about how it could affect their future employment in this World is a dumb-ass. So yeah, that's how that works Hero. It has nothing to do with trust, and everything to do with your poor decision for the art on your body.

memberoflocal61

You care what the company thinks, hence this 12 page thread about how much you "don't" care, but want to know why they won't allow you to cover.

They play by their rules, and this issue has been fought and settled time again.

I don't know you, no, but I do know that anyone dumb enough to cover their hands and arms without thinking about how it could affect their future employment in this World is a dumb-ass. So yeah, that's how that works Hero. It has nothing to do with trust, and everything to do with your poor decision for the art on your body.

I wasn't responding to you, smart one.