Tentative Agreement

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Please bagels what do u think inflation is at right now? And what is it historically over the long run?

Obviously easy to look up online, but no where close to the more than 8%-12% you're suggesting (by saying FT wages haven't kept up with inflation). I'm curious as to how you can justify such numbers.

pretender

My BA has informed me that the level of coverage is similar to what persons in company-controlled benefit plans currently enjoy. About half of us participated in a company plan, the other half in one of many union plans; allegedly we're all being rolled into a single, unified plan that will utilize economies of scale to produce results similar to the current company-controlled plans.

In any event, if we were offered the same coverage CS currently has, then yes, free coverage is better because what CS offers will still cost me SIGNIFICANTLY less than the $4680 UPS wanted from me to maintain previous coverage.

That may be true if you are healthy and still employed. Many retirees are already paying $4800 per year. In the grand scheme of things, paying that much for what CS has to offer, is probably still a great deal compared to what other people have to pay. I get that, and appreciate it. However, it is a significant downgrade from the company plan. Also, if you or a family member has a chronic condition, you would be surprised how fast that $4680 will disappear.

pretender

That may be true if you are healthy and still employed. Many retirees are already paying $4800 per year. In the grand scheme of things, paying that much for what CS has to offer, is probably still a great deal compared to what other people have to pay. I get that, and appreciate it. However, it is a significant downgrade from the company plan. Also, if you or a family member has a chronic condition, you would be surprised how fast that $4680 will disappear.

I forgot to say that I am certainly open to at least hearing the details of a single unified plan...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Please bagels what do u think inflation is at right now? And what is it historically over the long run?

Obviously easy to look up online, but no where close to the more than 8%-12% you're suggesting (by saying FT wages haven't kept up with inflation). I'm curious as to how you can justify such numbers.

I never said 8-12%. I said if u add in fuel and food most studies show u inflation is around 6-8%. I don't expect that much of a raise.

I just want to cover the historical average for inflation 3-4%.

Since that means inflation must go up drastically according to u. I would like to know what u think a reasonable estimate for inflation is.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

UPS is one of the few remaining private companies that has yet to gut retiree health benefits. Given the reality of soaring health care costs coupled with a significant number of retirements coming up, the dilution was inevitable. You're not happy about it, nor would I be either. But retirees don't have a voice, and many current & prospective drivers will be eligible (or close to it) for Medicare when they retire. As I see it, the current retirees sold out the PTers long ago, so retiree benefits are the least of my concern.

bellesmom

Re: Company Health Plan UPSers To Be Moved to Union Plans, YIKES!

All UPSers on company plans will be moved to health plans. The new contract also only offers 2,000 new full-time jobs. We're still waiting on how much retiree healthcare will rise per month. Raises are:

equaling about 1.7%--way below inflation.
$2.50 pension increase over the 5 year life of the contract, the lowest in the past 20 years.

From the looks of it, its is the largest sell-out in the history of UPS Teamsters.

I'm voting NO, how will you?

I'm hoping the 2,000 jobs carrot doesn't make ptimers vote yes. If the language is weak like our 22.3 is, those jobs can be a nightmare for them 9-10 years down the road as it has been for our building.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I never said 8-12%. I said if u add in fuel and food most studies show u inflation is around 6-8%. I don't expect that much of a raise.

I just want to cover the historical average for inflation 3-4%.

Since that means inflation must go up drastically according to u. I would like to know what u think a reasonable estimate for inflation is.

You've repeatedly written that your raise has failed to keep place with inflation. I've pointed out that you can play with online calculators to determine that the raise you've received over the current contract is more than twice the rate of our standard inflation rate. You've asserted that the standard inflation rate is doctored (the BLS addresses this issue, BTW). I've asked you to point out examples to justify such statement. The CPI model isn't perfect, nor could it be given the game that our food, retail & other industries have evolved into, and the nature of how each individual plays that game... which is why I've brought up the importance of personal inflation, which is a real topic.

In any event, the cost of food purchased at the grocery store consistently rises at a clip of less than 2% per year, and Walmart shopping basket indexes have placed the rate at less than a percentage point each year. Gasoline prices have been fairly consistent over the past two years. Compared to the conclusion of the past contract, you're earning at least an additional $9,000. What everyday expenses do you have that cumulatively clipped an additional $9,000 over the past five years? You do realize that the median personal income in the USA has fallen to $26,000? And that's not even factoring in benefit contributions......

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You've repeatedly written that your raise has failed to keep place with inflation. I've pointed out that you can play with online calculators to determine that the raise you've received over the current contract is more than twice the rate of our standard inflation rate. You've asserted that the standard inflation rate is doctored (the BLS addresses this issue, BTW). I've asked you to point out examples to justify such statement. The CPI model isn't perfect, nor could it be given the game that our food, retail & other industries have evolved into, and the nature of how each individual plays that game... which is why I've brought up the importance of personal inflation, which is a real topic.

In any event, the cost of food purchased at the grocery store consistently rises at a clip of less than 2% per year, and Walmart shopping basket indexes have placed the rate at less than a percentage point each year. Gasoline prices have been fairly consistent over the past two years. Compared to the conclusion of the past contract, you're earning at least an additional $9,000. What everyday expenses do you have that cumulatively clipped an additional $9,000 over the past five years? You do realize that the median personal income in the USA has fallen to $26,000? And that's not even factoring in benefit contributions......

You fail again. I never once said that my past raises have failed to cover inflation. We were in a recession there was actually some deflation. I just hit full scale in the middle of the last contract.

Here's the problem I see. Say inflation is only 2% the first 4 years of the contract then jumps to 6% in the last year and looks like it will stay there for awhile.

Will we get a 6% raise? Hell no!!!! So u ask for raises based on historic inflation. Some years u come out ahead some a little behind.

Funny thing is I see this as looking out for part timers. So when they go full time they aren't making less than previous generations.

Ups must be some kind of magical if they can continue to raise prices 5-6% every year when there is no inflation.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You fail again. I never once said that my past raises have failed to cover inflation. We were in a recession there was actually some deflation. I just hit full scale in the middle of the last contract.

Here's the problem I see. Say inflation is only 2% the first 4 years of the contract then jumps to 6% in the last year and looks like it will stay there for awhile.

Will we get a 6% raise? Hell no!!!! So u ask for raises based on historic inflation. Some years u come out ahead some a little behind.

Funny thing is I see this as looking out for part timers. So when they go full time they aren't making less than previous generations.

Ups must be some kind of magical if they can continue to raise prices 5-6% every year when there is no inflation.

You've written "barely covered" and wrote 'we'd need at least $4.50 to cover inflation,' pardon me if you haven't written 'it hasn't covered' (I'll take you word for it).

The Teamsters traditionally negotiate a backloaded contract; the package needs to be evaluated upon in full, not each year individually. At the conclusion of this contract, you'll be banking another $9K/year. It'd be unprecedented for inflation to rise beyond that point.

A

anonymous6

can someone start a new thread with the actual numbers of the tentative agreement?

GameCockFan

Re: Teamsters Reach Tentative Agreements Covering 250,000 Workers At UPS, UPS Freight

With central states we pay 20 dollar copay, the 20% of the total bill, not 20% of the discount that central states has negotiated.. They will get a NO vote from me...

This is called balance billing and it's illegal. You can only be charged the negotiated rate.

steamroll

Yes. due to the economy no one would feel sorry me. Yes i'm lucky to have this job. with inflation the raises are sufficient enough. I didn't know that being a Package Car driver was unskilled labor when in fact it's a very stressfull job. When you have to do a lot in a short period of time, dealing with customers, having multiple supervisors on you & do pick ups & leave late with no quality family time. No one off the street can do this stressfull Package Car job & also being familiar with routes. but you have to remember the loaders that load the truck & unloader that unload them & the sorters, clerks & the other inside workers aren't making 33 bucks an hour some are just make 8 and 1/2 bucks an hour part time & having to wait an year just to get insurance & not having enough money just to get to work and lifting up to 70 lbs over their heads & handling up to 150 lbs of irregular packages with dealing with all of the pressure. what doesn't make sense each collective bargaining agreement gains are made in raises then the raises go backwords. you have to remember UPS drivers - workers don't start @ 33 bucks an hour that top. the 50 bucks an hour deal. if UPS workers start @ 8 to 8 and 1/2 bucks per hour with 1 dollar raises every year the poor stressed out UPS worker would have to work for 42 years just to get 50 bucks and hour & if they would start @ 18 years of age they would be 60 years of age to get 50 bucks an hour. the way things are going people will have to work until they die.

steamroll

Re: Teamsters Reach Tentative Agreements Covering 250,000 Workers At UPS, UPS Freight

i guess the starting pay will go up? depending what local you're in. your local will try to sell the contract to you. The question is what do the part timers want.

UPSNoMore

Comparing Wage Increases Over Multiple Contracts

Am I correct in my understanding that the part-time worker's wage increases (in average and total over all years of the contract) break down like this?:

($0.83/year) _____________ $5.00 ___________ 2002 - 2007 (August 1) Contract
($0.80/year) _____________ $4.00 ___________ 2008 - 2012 (August 1) Contract
($0.80/year or $0.78/year) __ $4.00 or $3.90 ____ 2013 - 2017 (August 1) Tentative Contract

Last edited:

steamroll

Re: Company Health Plan UPSers To Be Moved to Union Plans, YIKES!

what about the one that were reconfigured and/or laid off. improved language for the 22.3 must be improved. in our rider combos have first bid then package car drivers with 15 years of company seniority then the part timers, right now a part timer may have to wait 30 yrs for a combo job. 2000 nationwide. UPS can creat them in a area with the least seniority workers

bigrig

Just remember this has not been voted on yet they have only agreed to send it for members to vote on first offer should never be voted on make them give us the best offer!