El Correcto

god is dead
I think republicans see Chauvin being convicted and all of the activism by black Americans supporting his conviction as a show of political power by black Americans, and they don't like it. There is no outrage from police officers around the nation at Chauvin's conviction, during the trial his Captain spoke out against Chauvin as well as a former sergeant and lieutenant, his fellow police officers weren't out in support of Chauvin, police unions around the nation didn't speak up for Chauvin. Yet many republican media and pundits and voters are outraged by the Chauvin conviction. Why? Again, I think republicans see black American political power as a loss of power for themselves, as a threat and this is what's driving this outrage amongst republicans. Again, the police are not outraged by this conviction.
No, we see a man that was subduing a person resisting arrest while high as a kite on fentanyl being locked up even though there is a lot of reasonable doubt as if his knee was what killed that man and the court rooms/prosecutors dirty tactics in not letting the jury be fully informed but instead propagandized to by lots of emotional testimony of POLICE ARE THE PROBLEM!
I’ve survived every encounter I’ve had with police because I understand you don’t try to fight them, you have your day in court. Floyd should of told the officers while he was going on about I can’t breathe that he had taken opiates, I guarantee you they wouldn’t of prone restrained him if he was honest with them and really wanted medical attention.

if you don’t agree with Chauvin’s tactics that absolutely fine, charge him with excessive force. That should be an easy slam dunk, most people could hop on board with.

vantexan

How much political power do you believe blacks had before the 60s?
Very limited. But to say American political culture was created around blacks having zero power is to say everything revolved around the white-black relationship. Early on there were more pressing matters. Carving townships out of wilderness. Dealing with hostile natives. Much of the country even at the time of the Civil War had few blacks in it. It became more of an influence in the late 1800's to early 1900's when the Ku Klux Klan was at its peak. And a major component of politics from then on.

It will be fine

Very limited. But to say American political culture was created around blacks having zero power is to say everything revolved around the white-black relationship. Early on there were more pressing matters. Carving townships out of wilderness. Dealing with hostile natives. Much of the country even at the time of the Civil War had few blacks in it. It became more of an influence in the late 1800's to early 1900's when the Ku Klux Klan was at its peak. And a major component of politics from then on.
This is a very strange interpretation of history. Political culture was created around white people owning black people as property.

vantexan

This is a very strange interpretation of history. Political culture was created around white people owning black people as property.
Except most people didn't own slaves and there were other influences. This is the prism that the modern Democratic Party sees everything through. Everything is seen as racism, or born from racism. Yesterday AOC said as much. Climate change was caused by racism according to her.

Box Ox

'He was guilty.' Extra juror in favor of Chauvin conviction

"Christensen said she felt prosecutors “made a really good, strong argument” and credited Dr. Martin Tobin, one of their medical experts, for his testimony on how Floyd’s breathing was cut off by the restraint.

“Dr. Tobin was the one that really did it for me. He explained everything to me, I understood it, down to where he said, ‘This was the moment where he lost his life.’ Really got to me.”

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

"Christensen said she felt prosecutors “made a really good, strong argument” and credited Dr. Martin Tobin, one of their medical experts, for his testimony on how Floyd’s breathing was cut off by the restraint.

“Dr. Tobin was the one that really did it for me. He explained everything to me, I understood it, down to where he said, ‘This was the moment where he lost his life.’ Really got to me.”
Tobin said he could use a video to tell the exact moment Georgie died lol. The guy pushed a lot of pseudoscience nonsense.

El Correcto

god is dead
Slavery had been a major debate through out America’s early history. The Missouri compromise, three fifth compromise, etc.

They made a lot of horrible compromises that ran counter to the founding creed of the nation so that they could establish enough power to actually form the nation.

El Correcto

god is dead

Nelson argued that Floyd died due to his use of drugs and to heart issues. He also argued that videos were deceptive, that Chauvin’s knee wasn’t on Floyd’s neck as long as prosecutors said and that an autopsy found no evidence of damage to his neck. And he sought to portray the concerned bystanders as a threatening crowd that distracted officers.”

Nelson presented a lot of reasonable doubt and good points. The knee wasn’t on his neck the entire time, there was no damage to his neck. How to you apply enough force to kill someone from smothering them without leave a mark, with your knee?
Anytime you are not calm with police you will only make a situation worse, they are no longer focused on talking to you, they are sizing you up and focused on your body not your words. Deciding if you are a threat or not. You want to eliminate the thought of yourself as being a threat and comply with everything the cops want, then address your concerns calmly. Those bystanders were adding problems with this situation not addressing them. You have to remember police have a right to order you around on behalf of the government we all elect, that in and of itself isn’t a horrible bad thing, it’s part of law and order.

“I just don’t understand how it got from a counterfeit $20 bill to a death,” she said. “It kind of shocks me.”

It doesn’t shock me, all he had to do was get in the police car and go to jail and he would still be alive today if the knee truly caused his death. If he really did feel like he was having a medical emergency be truthful to your arresting officer and let them know you might be dying from drugs you have taken. i have never had a problem telling police the whole story and being calm with them appealing to their logic and following their orders. It works out great for me everytime. I won’t argue with them either if I disagree they can take me to jail and I’ll hire someone to argue for me.

El Correcto

god is dead
This is what you need to be educating the public about if you truly care about ghetto folk dying in police hands. Teach them how to put the ball in the officer’s court to do the right thing.

It will be fine

Nelson argued that Floyd died due to his use of drugs and to heart issues. He also argued that videos were deceptive, that Chauvin’s knee wasn’t on Floyd’s neck as long as prosecutors said and that an autopsy found no evidence of damage to his neck. And he sought to portray the concerned bystanders as a threatening crowd that distracted officers.”

Nelson presented a lot of reasonable doubt and good points. The knee wasn’t on his neck the entire time, there was no damage to his neck. How to you apply enough force to kill someone from smothering them without leave a mark, with your knee?
Anytime you are not calm with police you will only make a situation worse, they are no longer focused on talking to you, they are sizing you up and focused on your body not your words. Deciding if you are a threat or not. You want to eliminate the thought of yourself as being a threat and comply with everything the cops want, then address your concerns calmly. Those bystanders were adding problems with this situation not addressing them. You have to remember police have a right to order you around on behalf of the government we all elect, that in and of itself isn’t a horrible bad thing, it’s part of law and order.

“I just don’t understand how it got from a counterfeit $20 bill to a death,” she said. “It kind of shocks me.”

It doesn’t shock me, all he had to do was get in the police car and go to jail and he would still be alive today if the knee truly caused his death. If he really did feel like he was having a medical emergency be truthful to your arresting officer and let them know you might be dying from drugs you have taken. i have never had a problem telling police the whole story and being calm with them appealing to their logic and following their orders. It works out great for me everytime. I won’t argue with them either if I disagree they can take me to jail and I’ll hire someone to argue for me.
This is why libertarian politics is completely impractical. You think everyone is as rational as you are.

El Correcto

god is dead
This is why libertarian politics is completely impractical. You think everyone is as rational as you are.
If I can teach a dog to sit for treats or walk on a leash, I have faith human beings can learn to act in their own self interest, no matter how dumb they maybe, granted there are people who are not dumb but actually mentally challenged.

Box Ox

This is what you need to be educating the public about if you truly care about ghetto folk dying in police hands. Teach them how to put the ball in the officer’s court to do the right thing.
The hard left believes black people don't have the ability to be educated about it. They're not even smart enough to obtain IDs. So they must be accommodated.

vantexan

Slavery had been a major debate through out America’s early history. The Missouri compromise, three fifth compromise, etc.

They made a lot of horrible compromises that ran counter to the founding creed of the nation so that they could establish enough power to actually form the nation.
But it wasn't the be all, end all of political discourse. Not like today where Democrats use racism to frame any discussion because they think it gives them an advantage.

vantexan

The hard left believes black people don't have the ability to be educated about it. They're not even smart enough to obtain IDs. So they must be accommodated.
"The soft bigotry of low expectations." Who here thought George W. Bush would be remembered for such an insightful statement?