The Express employee massacre continues.

Mutineer

Get a friend clue.....

I did (finally) get a clue.

After over twenty years as a box-donkey, I obtained a credential in a completely different occupation and left it behind.

Don't mistake my advocacy for these sad things as approval. Just telling it how I see it.
The delivery driver is the face of the company.

And the future of that face is going to be a loop of neck tatted, mouth breathing idiots.

MAKAVELI

I did (finally) get a clue.

After over twenty years as a box-donkey, I obtained a credential in a completely different occupation and left it behind.

Don't mistake my advocacy for these sad things as approval. Just telling it how I see it.

And the future of that face is going to be a loop of neck tatted, mouth breathing idiots.
And then the company becomes a shell of itself.

vantexan

The problem is people think entry level jobs should give them a high standard of living. They should make you work towards a better job. You should hate being poor and find a way to be wealthy. There’s nothing wrong with Ground in that regard, there’s plenty of room for advancement if you have any ambition. A lot of Americans are stupid and don’t have ambition, they deserve the scraps.
Your problem is you only know what you've experienced at Ground. There was a time when couriers had a two week class, had to have a cdl, were trained in handling haz and international shipments, had to write out airbills,, had to know others routes enough to run a sort, and so on. That was on top of having our day put on hold while waiting for freight, often having everything disrupted and having to run a fire drill to compensate. And we, as I pointed out before, drove the big vans delivering all the bulk along with meeting deadlines all day. Depending on the station we ran at least the morning sort but in some stations had to do the reload too.

What you may be somewhat familiar with is the dumbed down job with the customer doing almost everything now with the courier mostly quickly scanning a barcode with a much more advanced tracking device. Driving a smaller van. Getting pickups and messages directly instead of running back to the truck to check.

The company hired quality people back then, many with college degrees, because it took some wherewithal to be both athletic enough and intelligent enough to juggle everything. Now they just hire in large numbers knowing many will quit before long because it's a dead end job and not worth the hassle. Because by simplifying everything they made it possible to do more with less people. Less people however who must be constantly moving.

Your drivers aren't going to have to do everything we did back then, but with combined operations they're going to have more expected of them than currently. Let's see if you're able to motivate them to do more and yet still keep them without paying more.

SmithBarney

How long ago did you leave LGUA?
07-08 We probably overlapped if you've been there the whole time. Sorry you guys are getting hit with this so soon. Hope everyone is doing well. Probably not too many familiar faces left(I'll have to look online and see who's left)

Mutineer

There are plenty of (some very spiteful) people on this forum who for years have predicted that FedEx Express was going to become a profoundly disappointing workplace for very many people.

As it seems that notion is quickly becoming reality, I am reminded of the following:

"Like I told you, what I said
/ Steal your face right off your head"

-Grateful Dead

It will be fine

Your problem is you only know what you've experienced at Ground. There was a time when couriers had a two week class, had to have a cdl, were trained in handling haz and international shipments, had to write out airbills,, had to know others routes enough to run a sort, and so on. That was on top of having our day put on hold while waiting for freight, often having everything disrupted and having to run a fire drill to compensate. And we, as I pointed out before, drove the big vans delivering all the bulk along with meeting deadlines all day. Depending on the station we ran at least the morning sort but in some stations had to do the reload too.

What you may be somewhat familiar with is the dumbed down job with the customer doing almost everything now with the courier mostly quickly scanning a barcode with a much more advanced tracking device. Driving a smaller van. Getting pickups and messages directly instead of running back to the truck to check.

The company hired quality people back then, many with college degrees, because it took some wherewithal to be both athletic enough and intelligent enough to juggle everything. Now they just hire in large numbers knowing many will quit before long because it's a dead end job and not worth the hassle. Because by simplifying everything they made it possible to do more with less people. Less people however who must be constantly moving.

Your drivers aren't going to have to do everything we did back then, but with combined operations they're going to have more expected of them than currently. Let's see if you're able to motivate them to do more and yet still keep them without paying more.
I’m not sure why you think the job requirements from 40 years ago are relevant.

fdxsux

07-08 We probably overlapped if you've been there the whole time. Sorry you guys are getting hit with this so soon. Hope everyone is doing well. Probably not too many familiar faces left(I'll have to look online and see who's left)
I transferred to LGUA in 08 so probably just missed you. We’ve had so many people quit since the announcement that we are actually going to have to hire a couple part timers. One full timer will have to downgrade to part time but that’s it. Right now they are sending up drivers from OGDA to fill all the open routes until we merge.

vantexan

I’m not sure why you think the job requirements from 40 years ago are relevant.
That was the job pretty much 20 years ago too. The point being you seem to think that being a FedEx courier was always an easy entry level job with Express employees having too high an opinion of themselves. Didn't deserve better pay and benefits. As the company combines the opcos and more is required of your drivers you may develop a greater appreciation of what Express does now and of those who put up with the job for decades.

It will be fine

That was the job pretty much 20 years ago too. The point being you seem to think that being a FedEx courier was always an easy entry level job with Express employees having too high an opinion of themselves. Didn't deserve better pay and benefits. As the company combines the opcos and more is required of your drivers you may develop a greater appreciation of what Express does now and of those who put up with the job for decades.
What the job required decades ago has no bearing on what it’s worth today. It’s a low skill, high turnover job. You can train a person up to decent within a few weeks, a few months and they’re basically an expert. That type of job isn’t going to command super high wages.

bacha29

And then the company becomes a shell of itself.
Contractors should expect hauling air box to be a low margin business. Many will be fortunate just to cover their costs while at the same time opening themselves up to many more numerous and far more punishing penalties for failing to fulfill those "contracting standards" Raj keeps bragging about, leaving contractors to ask themselves...."why do I continue to do this"?

Secondly, contractors should remain mindful of the old saying...."you get what you pay for". And when they see what they get for what they're willing to pay it will be a sight to behold. So much so that they should stop an ask themselves if these are the type of people with whom they can entrust their own economic well being? A closer look would likely show that more contractors were done in by the people they hired rather than by something the contractor did to themselves.

Some say that is is a bold and innovative move by FDX , While others say it's a stupid and catastrophic move. I would be inclined to believe that senior and executive level management has a very poor understanding of the mindset of America's working class.

That misunderstanding combined with a complete absence of respect for the segment of American society will be their undoing.

vantexan

What the job required decades ago has no bearing on what it’s worth today. It’s a low skill, high turnover job. You can train a person up to decent within a few weeks, a few months and they’re basically an expert. That type of job isn’t going to command super high wages.
Good luck with it then. I never expected "super high wages." I only wanted them to top me out in a reasonable time which they weren't. I'm betting with the demands of making deliveries, pickups, time commitments, you're going to experience more turnover. A lot of people will settle for less pay rather than do this for $18hr. That's why it'll eventually command better pay than you think it should. And with the turnover you're going to have to compete with your fellow contractors for new employees.

Aquaman

Good luck with it then. I never expected "super high wages." I only wanted them to top me out in a reasonable time which they weren't. I'm betting with the demands of making deliveries, pickups, time commitments, you're going to experience more turnover. A lot of people will settle for less pay rather than do this for $18hr. That's why it'll eventually command better pay than you think it should. And with the turnover you're going to have to compete with your fellow contractors for new employees.
I always felt the same. Top out was good enough for me. It just never made sense why the company never wanted me to get there. They set the pay. It wasn’t negotiated as part of a union contract. They have complete control over what the pay is. If you don’t want me making $33/hr…. Don’t set top out at $33/hr lol.

fdxsux

I always felt the same. Top out was good enough for me. It just never made sense why the company never wanted me to get there. They set the pay. It wasn’t negotiated as part of a union contract. They have complete control over what the pay is. If you don’t want me making $33/hr…. Don’t set top out at $33/hr lol.
This

Gone fishin

UPS ? Remember Walmart, Target , Sams , Fast food places , these jobs all used to make very low wages. Guess what , they couldn’t hire anyone and now they start out 15 bucks.
The market will dictate wages

Mutineer

A closer look would likely show that more contractors were done in by the people they hired rather than by something the contractor did to themselves.

That is some sad, scary truth. I've seen that more than once.
you may develop a greater appreciation of what Express does now and of those who put up with the job for decades.

I've had multiple jobs, roles, and functions as a courier for different companies.

My opinion is that If anyone is deserving of appreciation and respect for "putting up with the job" in this entire rotten industry, it's FedEx contractors.