The Express employee massacre continues.

Mutineer

Just make sure you remind your customers what is slated to happen.. I have several larger customers who when told about it will go all UPS. Tell them Ground is going to take most Express packages, and half or more of your express drivers are losing their jobs(dano will say its voluntary resignation.. FedEx will offer you PT or go relocate somewhere else which will probably close soon also...not really voluntary when given such horrible choices) Sorry Ground, I wish it wasn't this way, I have commercial customers that have nothing nice to say about the service they "receive" and will have no problem switching to UPS.

As soon as you drive away, those people who were smiling to your face and casting rose petals across your path are talking the EXACT same crap about your company's service.

Mutineer

Bingo!!! You’d think fedex would make more per pkg with all the cheap labor.

I know, right?

I don't understand, and at a loss to explain how cheap labor isn't the magic solution to what ails FedEx, or any other businesses. And how about when they trot out the tired, old lie of: "passing the savings to the consumer."

That's sooo weird.

LMFAO!

Remember that when they lie again and say in the next breath: "weee caaan't fiiind werrrkerrrs!"

btrlov

Tell me why FedEx would make more money by ditching the contractor model.
a way to look at it is: As a leader would you be more effective making money as an empoyee or making money as money as a contractor... And of those 2, what is better for a company? Another words a competant and compensated employee with a tangible career ladder, may be more sustainbly productive(more profitable) than cheap labor with limited career outlook.

dezguy

Just make sure you remind your customers what is slated to happen.. I have several larger customers who when told about it will go all UPS. Tell them Ground is going to take most Express packages, and half or more of your express drivers are losing their jobs(dano will say its voluntary resignation.. FedEx will offer you PT or go relocate somewhere else which will probably close soon also...not really voluntary when given such horrible choices) Sorry Ground, I wish it wasn't this way, I have commercial customers that have nothing nice to say about the service they "receive" and will have no problem switching to UPS.
LOL
Management at the sta I'm at has had multiple meetings telling us not to say ground is going to be taking all of our freight and we're all going to be let go because sales has told them it's scaring away customers. I know of at least two pretty high volume customers that have either decreased the amount they're sending on a daily basis or switched to the competition completely.

bacha29

We’ve seen how far stock prices can fall. If they do not get this right, and the stock tanks again, how do they reassure investors that they have a workable plan? That they are the right people to see it through? And if the contractor model fails, who’s going to come to work as a company courier knowing that the company is eyeballing a contractor model? Where’s the trust going to be?

They’ve had massive failures rolling out programs. They cannot afford to get this wrong. Unfortunately, I’m guessing they haven’t looked far enough ahead. They see billions in savings and nothing more. I’m not sure they’ve learned from mistakes.
Operating a nationwide air cargo service requires the same quality, quantity and reliability of service to be found nationwide. Whether it's in Hollywood or Hooterville.
Now each individual contractor will be confronted with his own set of problems and challenges unique to his own operating area. Whether it's too little revenue per mile, antiquated highway system and poor access to many stops reducing SPH to levels below what the engineers think you should be doing. Tearing trucks apart in the process A shortage of reliable labor at pay rates Fat Freddy thinks you should be procuring them for along with a slew of other headaches that can't be solved no matter who you put in that area.

The result will invariably be a very inconsistent service and the loss of key accounts will compel Fat Freddy to become even more stingy when it comes to contractor rates and settlements as time goes by. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole caper implodes within five years after it's fully implemented.

bbsam

Staff member
The result will invariably be a very inconsistent service and the loss of key accounts will compel Fat Freddy to become even more stingy when it comes to contractor rates and settlements as time goes by. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole caper implodes within five years after it's fully implemented
I disagree. They don’t have 5 years, I don’t believe they have a viable backup plan, and I don’t believe they have thought past the opening rounds of implementation. They brag that this is the biggest transformation they’ve ever committed to but fail to see the disaster previous transformations have been. Everything they do shows they are ultra committed to the stockholders and apathetic, if not hostile, to the company itself.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
LOL
Management at the sta I'm at has had multiple meetings telling us not to say ground is going to be taking all of our freight and we're all going to be let go because sales has told them it's scaring away customers. I know of at least two pretty high volume customers that have either decreased the amount they're sending on a daily basis or switched to the competition completely.
Did they pass out these employee flyers?

Keep calm and kiss your ass goodbye.jpg

Mutineer

LOL

The same people telling you "not to scare away customers" are the same people who will be high five-ing each other after they introduce you to your Ground replacement, and show you the parking lot.

Empty Pockets

FedEx Freight closing Service Centers....https://www.truckingboards/bb/threads/closing-centers.122381/FedEx Freight closing Service Centers....
https://www.truckingboards/bb/threads/closing-centers.122381/

Aquaman

Those guys are gonna wish they had voted in a union.
Sadly. The plan is to cut cut cut cut until we APPEAR super profitable and well run. When volume picks back up this company is going to sink. The biggest flaw of FedEx is how reactionary this company is. We endure nothing. The pendulum swings to light volume, and we brew up all these idiotic plans that never pan out. It swings back to heavy volume and we hire 100% more than needed. Nobody is forward thinking at this company. It’s all about today, and the new biggest disaster we can come up with for tomorrow. The biggest positive to UPS is their union. I know the company probably hates it. But it also frees them from wasted time trying to design new ways to screw over their biggest assets. They don’t have to waste time trying to cut hours. Or wondering what the raise is going to be for drivers. It’s all set in stone. It seems that all FedEx does is sit around and think of ways to screw it all up with a positive spin. Sure UPS lays off drivers during bad times. But it hasn’t hurt their hiring. Or the prestige of their driving jobs over FedEx’s. Sure they pay them a lot of money… but in doing so they have agreed with their drivers to demand VERY high standards & service. And sure maybe in residential deliveries the service & standards aren’t really that important when the driver is leaving a new scooter on a porch. But in business to business… the area UPS annihilates us, a driver who is extremely professional, can answer questions, and will go the extra mile for customers is worth its weight in gold. FedEx wants business to business. It’s the most lucrative. And they’re trying to go the “residential Amazon model” way about it. It’s not going to work.

Gone fishin

Sadly. The plan is to cut cut cut cut until we APPEAR super profitable and well run. When volume picks back up this company is going to sink. The biggest flaw of FedEx is how reactionary this company is. We endure nothing. The pendulum swings to light volume, and we brew up all these idiotic plans that never pan out. It swings back to heavy volume and we hire 100% more than needed. Nobody is forward thinking at this company. It’s all about today, and the new biggest disaster we can come up with for tomorrow. The biggest positive to UPS is their union. I know the company probably hates it. But it also frees them from wasted time trying to design new ways to screw over their biggest assets. They don’t have to waste time trying to cut hours. Or wondering what the raise is going to be for drivers. It’s all set in stone. It seems that all FedEx does is sit around and think of ways to screw it all up with a positive spin. Sure UPS lays off drivers during bad times. But it hasn’t hurt their hiring. Or the prestige of their driving jobs over FedEx’s. Sure they pay them a lot of money… but in doing so they have agreed with their drivers to demand VERY high standards & service. And sure maybe in residential deliveries the service & standards aren’t really that important when the driver is leaving a new scooter on a porch. But in business to business… the area UPS annihilates us, a driver who is extremely professional, can answer questions, and will go the extra mile for customers is worth its weight in gold. FedEx wants business to business. It’s the most lucrative. And they’re trying to go the “residential Amazon model” way about it. It’s not going to work.
Getting rid of unions was the biggest misstep this country has taken in a long time. There’s a reason why companies don’t want them

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
How? Increase in productivity, service, quality control, safety, customer retention and acquisition, etc.,etc......
Ah, ok.

So why isn't every employer spending out the rear end on wages and compensation if there's such a strong correlation between that and bottom line profits?

59 Dano

Spoken like a true upper :censored2: who thinks the driver in the truck, face to face with the customer, with the package in his hands, has nothing to do with profit. It’s the only thing that actually brings in profit. Having them be company employees allows the company to actually maintain its standards.
You're ignoring the question and we both know why.

59 Dano

We’ve seen how far stock prices can fall. If they do not get this right, and the stock tanks again, how do they reassure investors that they have a workable plan? That they are the right people to see it through? And if the contractor model fails, who’s going to come to work as a company courier knowing that the company is eyeballing a contractor model? Where’s the trust going to be?
The contractor model is going to fail?

59 Dano

UPS specializes in ground PKG delivery and consistently outperforms FedEx in terms of revenue and service despite paying it's employees almost double what an express driver makes let alone a contracted one. The inefficiency was FedEx's fault to begin with, not the employees. One truck, one area, one service would obviously cost less in general, contractor model or not.
So you can't answer it, either.

59 Dano

I think those "standards" you speak of will go the way of the dodo.

And all those really super smart office weenies at FedEx thinks so too.

Those standards don't matter anymore. FedEx is intentionally aiming low.
FedEx is aiming at what customers are willing to accept.