The Lets Get Rid Of Our Cops Movement

newolddude

Walmart CEO is saying saying, go easy on crime, and we might close stores in soft on crime neighborhoods. The "get rid of the cops movement" is alive and well within the ranks of local prosecutors in certain jurisdictions.

...When asked on Tuesday about how local jurisdictions handle shoplifting cases, McMillon said a lax approach from prosecutors could impact prices and lead to store closures down the line...

The problem is some of those stores are the busiest.

They’ve made the same threat on the local level with a store near me. The town responded by pulling police off neighborhood patrol and serving as full time security at the store. The problem is the WalMart got a massive tax break so it’s a net loss for the town.

Just another example of WalMart stealing from communities.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

They’ve made the same threat on the local level with a store near me. The town responded by pulling police off neighborhood patrol and serving as full time security at the store. The problem is the WalMart got a massive tax break so it’s a net loss for the town.

Can't put stuff behind glass either. Cries of racism will follow.

Close stores or jack prices up if local government won't deal with crime.

newolddude

Can't put stuff behind glass either. Cries of racism will follow.

Close stores or jack prices up if local government won't deal with crime.

The “hood” WalMart closest to me is always busy. The parking lot 2/3rds full, merchandise short stocked, every checkout line long and tough security at the exit.

Or I can drive 15 minutes the other way to the nice WalMart where the parking lot is 10% full, the store fully stocked and there’s never a line.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

People steal from Walmart, lefties refuse to prosecute, and that means Walmart is stealing from communities.

leftist logic

Wally

The Shoplifters Protection Bill, Prop 47 in California, has been a boom for the shoplifting community. Of course it's ramifications are never challenged.

newfie

lot of jobs, sales tax , real estate taxes etc to one of those facilities. I cant believe the town would offer a tax break if they didnt think they would still make out. But I don't know enough about the net profit or loss to a city to say for sure.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
WalMart needs to require online orders only in those locations. No in-store shopping. If not feasible, close the store. They are under no obligation to suffer losses. This is not a case of corporate greed.

Unless you are a liberal.

vantexan

Did Wal-Mart hold a gun to the town's head? They obviously wanted Wal-Mart there by offering incentives. I think Fred's Myth is on to something. Have people order online and have store employees bring it outside to them with armed security. If cities won't prevent crime then eventually they're going to lose the retailers they need to function.

newolddude

Did Wal-Mart hold a gun to the town's head? They obviously wanted Wal-Mart there by offering incentives. I think Fred's Myth is on to something. Have people order online and have store employees bring it outside to them with armed security. If cities won't prevent crime then eventually they're going to lose the retailers they need to function.
They threatened by pulling the construction permits they'd gotten to remodel the store with the implication of closure.

So no, WalMart did not take an actual gun and point it at the mayor's head. But close to it.

Even though the rumor is that despite theft/shoplifting/shrinkage factored in there are claims it's one of the highest dollar per square foot stores in the state.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Walmart CEO is saying saying, go easy on crime, and we might close stores in soft on crime neighborhoods. The "get rid of the cops movement" is alive and well within the ranks of local prosecutors in certain jurisdictions.

...When asked on Tuesday about how local jurisdictions handle shoplifting cases, McMillon said a lax approach from prosecutors could impact prices and lead to store closures down the line...

Seems to me that if this convenience store owner can hire armed security to protect his store and customers, Walmart is in a much better position to do so. Sad though, with all the money we taxpayers pay for police services, that business owners should have to resort to these measures as if we are a Third World country.

vantexan

They threatened by pulling the construction permits they'd gotten to remodel the store with the implication of closure.

So no, WalMart did not take an actual gun and point it at the mayor's head. But close to it.

Even though the rumor is that despite theft/shoplifting/shrinkage factored in there are claims it's one of the highest dollar per square foot stores in the state.
And how much of that profit is going out the door with theft? Should companies just learn to live with it?

vantexan

Seems to me that if this convenience store owner can hire armed security to protect his store and customers, Walmart is in a much better position to do so. Sad though, with all the money we taxpayers pay for police services, that business owners should have to resort to these measures as if we are a Third World country.
It's standard practice to have armed guards at the doorways of stores and banks in much of Latin America. One of the reasons I think a lot of criminals are coming up here over the border is they view the U.S. as easy pickings.

Wally

It's standard practice to have armed guards at the doorways of stores and banks in much of Latin America. One of the reasons I think a lot of criminals are coming up here over the border is they view the U.S. as easy pickings.
Is is when arresting criminals is called racist. Better to let them steal than to be called racist.