Tucson Shooting !

That's what I'm getting at. If a public university goes so far as to actually ban someone from campus for being mentally unstable and a possible danger to others, shouldn't they at the very least let local law enforcement know? Common sense says that should be a requirement, and the fact that's it's not is a problem.
Then I agree with you 100%

bbsam

Staff member
I doubt that it would matter. Local police don't have the man-power to "tail" every person that would fit the description "mentally unstable".

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I doubt that it would matter. Local police don't have the man-power to "tail" every person that would fit the description "mentally unstable".
They don't have to. They should have the power to flag that person's name in a shared database that would prevent them from buying a firearm from a licensed dealer.

tieguy

Banned
Originally Posted by klein

Here, and in Germany, over 99% of all mentally ill people are first diagnosed by a physcian. Some as young as newborns, some in older years.

ah little newborn what is your name

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ah little newborn how do you feel

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

why do you hate your mother

waaaaaaaaaaaaaa

this child is clearly suffering from mental illness....or it has a wet diaper.

Klein you never cease to amaze me.

klein

Für Meno :)
Business brisk at Tucson gun show in the wake of rampage

By Tim Gaynor | Reuters – Sat, 15 Jan 5:08 PM EST

TUCSON, Arizona (Reuters) - Thousands of shoppers browsed for guns at a trade show in Tucson on Saturday, a week after a brutal shooting rampage that killed six people and raised questions about permissive gun laws in the United States.
"People see it as either guns are going to get banned, or I'm going to get shot," said stall holder Randall Record, 27, explaining the mood driving trade at the Crossroads of the West Gun Show on the outskirts of the city. "Either way, it drives sales," he added.

(and on a side note: No background checks needed to buy at the gun trade show) !!!

wkmac

If one looks at the history of mass murder one would realize it's not new, it's a been a part of the history of man and that the root cause itself is not some material mechanism of violence such as gun or sword. The root cause is the heart of man itself. It's the selfish desire to control others and also to profit from it's benefits and that is manifested in countless ways.

Even when such devices of death weren't available, mass killings still took place. To also allege or suggest that such tragic events don't take place where guns are suppose to be limited or illegal is just flat wrong if one does the homework and analysis. Even choosing to ignore one's own country seems rather convenient although highly dishonest.

Pointing at others while choosing to ignore one's own bloody hand harkens back to the ole' precept of "never attempt to remove the speck of dust from the eye of another while one has a log in thy own eye!"

:peaceful:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Both Boxer (can't stand her) and Feinstein (can't stand her) are crowing about tougher gun control or clip control........they really need to develop a pay cut for themselves!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Christiane Amanpour..............She seems snooty to me !!

You always have a choice and that is to not watch her.
I will flip through thinking George is still the host and watch her for a couple minutes and then I turn ... same thing I do with Hannity.
There are a lot of other choices on TV.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have found that I switch them all off anymore. While this is sad and a travesty, it has been way overdone.
I switched back to watching movies and discovery, etc. Get my news here.

klein

Für Meno :)
Even when such devices of death weren't available, mass killings still took place. To also allege or suggest that such tragic events don't take place where guns are suppose to be limited or illegal is just flat wrong if one does the homework and analysis. Even choosing to ignore one's own country seems rather convenient although highly dishonest.

Pointing at others while choosing to ignore one's own bloody hand harkens back to the ole' precept of "never attempt to remove the speck of dust from the eye of another while one has a log in thy own eye!"

:peaceful:

Yeah, yeah, wkmac.

It's soooooo easy for you, to compare total mass shootings in the world (that they do take place around the world as well), just not as often, and not as many as in the US.

I added all those numbers up, even the Montreal shooting that wasn't listed.
So, here we go:

USA vs The World, Mass Shooting Events 1996-2008 : (#'s taken from mac's link above, and does not include the recent one in Tucson).

USA 67 deaths vs 34 World (without USA).

(numbers did not include the shooters themselves, just the victums).

Oh, and your other link, wow, at first glance it almost puts Canada to shame.
But, then once I read the numbers, some US cities would be happy to only have 610 murders per year. Here, that number is the entire country !

4.1 murders for every 100.000 is a bit much, I admit. Even for the murder capital of Canada, but compared to a US city, you might as well call Winnepeg a non-violent sanctionary !

The Sun reported that Baltimore's homicide rate was the highest in the nation for cities with more than 500,000 residents. Baltimore experienced 37 homicides per 100,000 residents last year, ahead of Detroit, which had 34 per 100,000 residents, according to data compiled by the FBI.

Good try though, mac !

Another thing was discussed on CNN today (GPS with Frank Z), were those semi-automatic guns, like used in Tucson. why are they still allowed to be purchased by the general public ?

Those kind of guns have only 1 purpose. And it's not hunting.
It's only purpose is to kill a lot of people in a matter of seconds.

tieguy

Banned
the town of edmonton has earned another distinction. It is now owns the highest alcoholism rate in the world. Congrats to edmonton.

rod

Retired 23 years
Seems Eric Fuller has now been arrested and going through a mental evaluation himself.

When they were building a big State Mental Hospital close to me years ago there was a lot of discussion about if they should put a security fence around it. One of the best comments I remember hearing was when someone suggested they put up a fence around the town because there were more nutcases there than there would be at the State Hospital.

wkmac

When they were building a big State Mental Hospital close to me years ago there was a lot of discussion about if they should put a security fence around it. One of the best comments I remember hearing was when someone suggested they put up a fence around the town because there were more nutcases there than there would be at the State Hospital.

OT:

Rod,

Did you see who won the ChiliBowl? Seems Kevin has his ole' man's skill when it comes to going after the Golden Driller!

Make that Silver Driller. I guess the price of gold....... LOL!