Turning point coming

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
OK, you made me have to look it up.

The vote was 54% NO, 46% YES. The requirement to make it stick was at least a 50% voter turnout and a simple majority NO vote or a 66% NO vote with a less than 50% voter turnout. They had a 44% turnout and didn't get the 66% threshold.

I still say the drivers sold them down the river on that. 46%? That's ridiculous.
Kind of hard to get a majority when the majority of potential voters are part timers who feel they have little vested interest in a contract since they won’t be around long.

MassWineGuy

I completed the SFA today. Many more of my answers were in the disagree or disagree strongly area. Not that it will make a difference. I don’t think anyone high up really gives a :censored2: what is peons think.

It will be fine

Kind of hard to get a majority when the majority of potential voters are part timers who feel they have little vested interest in a contract since they won’t be around long.
I thought the argument was UPS has better staffing because of the union? If they can’t even get half of their members to vote that would be a point against that argument.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Not my problem that UPS employees don't turn out to vote.

But wait a second! How can you say the PT folks don't stick around? Aquaman said turnover isn't a problem because PTers stick around forever to get FT driving jobs!!!! Turnover is a myth!!!

As reasonable as you are here, I'm tempted to doubt you.

59 Dano

I thought the argument was UPS has better staffing because of the union? If they can’t even get half of their members to vote that would be a point against that argument.
FedEx employees don't realize that UPS employees piss and moan about their jobs and the IBT just like FedEx employees piss and moan about their jobs and the lack of the IBT.

It will be fine

FedEx employees don't realize that UPS employees piss and moan about their jobs and the IBT just like FedEx employees piss and moan about their jobs and the lack of the IBT.
The job of package handled sucks. Driving kinda sucks too. The boxes are heavy, you’re out in the elements, etc. There’s lots of suck in this industry. Workers will always complain about something. Jobs that suck have higher turnover, it’s not that complicated and there’s no easy solution.

59 Dano

The job of package handled sucks. Driving kinda sucks too. The boxes are heavy, you’re out in the elements, etc. There’s lots of suck in this industry. Workers will always complain about something. Jobs that suck have higher turnover, it’s not that complicated and there’s no easy solution.
LOL, that ain't what I've read here! Better pay solves everything!

AB831

Problem is the fresh 21 year olds keep leaving because of the :censored2: show and lack of pay progression. Lol
Yup. I got hired in 2016 and thought that with the step progression, I'd be making 30 dollars an hour by the time I was 36. They reneged on it two of my first three years there, and I left the following year.

bbsam

Staff member
Better pay doesn’t solve everything but it sure keeps a lot of experienced people from leaving. But if the company model is sustained by managing high turnover, would you say they are doing a good job of it? Would you say that they fudge numbers to make it looks better than it is? How sustainable is what they’re doing?

Better pay doesn’t solve everything but it sure keeps a lot of experienced people from leaving. But if the company model is sustained by managing high turnover, would you say they are doing a good job of it? Would you say that they fudge numbers to make it looks better than it is? How sustainable is what they’re doing?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
High turnover has many costs and consequences...replacing an entry-level employee costs 50 percent of their annual salary.

Largest mistake Corporate makes is listening to people like you!

NC man

High turnover has many costs and consequences...replacing an entry-level employee costs 50 percent of their annual salary.

Largest mistake Corporate makes is listening to people like you!
Guess a pizza every now and then is not enough to retain employees

Aquaman

Not my problem that UPS employees don't turn out to vote.

But wait a second! How can you say the PT folks don't stick around? Aquaman said turnover isn't a problem because PTers stick around forever to get FT driving jobs!!!! Turnover is a myth!!!

As reasonable as you are here, I'm tempted to doubt you.
I never said turnover isn’t a problem. It’s always going to be in warehouse work. But UPS at least has a job… stay with me here… I know it’s gonna blow your mind… that PAYS GREAT… and has INCREDIBLE BENEFITS. Better than your weak managment pay. That to some degree keeps handlers on the sort. Why is that a difficult concept for you to grasp? For a company to have a desirable job for people to shoot for? Doesn’t mean some UPS drivers don’t hate their life. But most probably love the money. If you’re the type of person that wants that money.. there’s at least a reason to stay. What does FedEx have? A $23/hr class A job? A $20/hr courier job? A micro managing waste of time salary managment job? Find me one reason to stay long term at this dump other than not wanting to advance.

Aquaman

Better pay makes it easier to deal with. Especially when working next to others for 15 years who made $5 to $6 an hour more the entire time. If not more.
Something FedEx doesn’t seem to understand. What kind of culture do you think it breeds when you have a 13 year guy making $22/hr next to a 19 year guy making $29/hr… where at UPS after 4 years they’re all making $40/hr. I’m no genius but that has to help with feeling more like a “team”. Not a whole lot to be bitter about when fair is fair.

yadig

LOL, that ain't what I've read here! Better pay
Something FedEx doesn’t seem to understand. What kind of culture do you think it breeds when you have a 13 year guy making $22/hr next to a 19 year guy making $29/hr… where at UPS after 4 years they’re all making $40/hr. I’m no genius but that has to help with feeling more like a “team”. Not a whole lot to be bitter about when fair is fair.
Lol! FedEx does pay very well, just at the top level! Don’t forget all the shareholder dividends, stock buybacks, lucrative bonuses for executives, and even entry level managers! Don’t forget all the advertising that makes no sense! If we had a union that pie would be divided more fairly.

bacha29

After reading the comments there seems to be agreement on one key issue. Small box is no longer a nice business to be in regardless of where you're stationed in the business. Except Dano who hasn't seen the sun shine since 09 when he built his own little cubicle in his Mom's basement and hasn't left it since then.

I saw today the announcement that XPO was splitting off it's brokered loads division from it's LTL unit. If anybody else decides to get into small box XPO seems to currently be the one best positioned to do so.