UPS to freeze pension plans for nonunion staffers

Catatonic

Nine Lives
But their benefit is more secure than a 401k. A pension is at least partiality guaranteed by the government. Nothing is guaranteed in a 401k.
Hopefully ...
That is the idea behind purchasing an annuity.
When my sister retired in 2007, I put her investments in 3 different annuity accounts all under $250k which was guaranteed.
One of the best investment decisions I ever made and it was for my sister ... oh well, I love her.

JustAnotherMike

"The best short-cut is to take the long way."
Lol you really think it's guaranteed?

Like I tell my wife if the market tanks to the point that we have virtually nothing. We aren't going to be worried about how much money we have. We will be trying to survive.
It won't tank to nothing . Even if it does for a short period , it'll come back. Our country is ran off the markets . If the market flatlines too many big heads are losing their shirts. That's why America is so friend'n great . 9/11 friend'd :censored2: up , but for the most part we should be okay. It's a safer investment than shying away from it . Imo

MAKAVELI

Depends on your definition of fine.

My pension is in decent shape. Around 90%. However 3k a month after 30 years when ups is giving $500 a week towards your retirement.....well that's a pretty :censored2:ty return on investment
My definition of fine is if you are getting the money that was written in the contract and the fund is solid and not at risk. That's the security most want from their pension. I understand that a lot of pensions have problems. But most of those come from multi employer plans.