What are you listening to part three

image.jpg

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
BSWalks, I never understood why nearly every darn rock or metal song must have a guitar solo, but no other instruments do. The bassist should have at least two solos, and the drummer take at least a two-minute solo. Keys as well. ;D

Oh look, Lady Ga....errr, nevermind.
Geddy Lee and Lemmy play bass like a lead instrument....all the time.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Speaking of drum solos, I haven't seen one in quite a while! Lol
I know what you mean about guitar solos. Music is a collaboration. It's nothing less than amazing how some bands work together.especially as equal performers.
I think the best part of Zakk Wyldes solos at the show I saw, was the Smithwicks that they serve at the Tsongas. After a few minutes of him, we went and had a couple.
I wish the guitarists would just do all of that soloing stuff early in the show, or first thing in songs, get it out of the way...:D

Did Zakk Wylde decide to take a solo right at the peak of the show? Deflate the whole thing? That's the worst.

wkmac

BSWalks, I never understood why nearly every darn rock or metal song must have a guitar solo, but no other instruments do. The bassist should have at least two solos, and the drummer take at least a two-minute solo. Keys as well. ;D

Oh look, Lady Ga....errr, nevermind.

Come on Sleeve, rock and metal (one's a subgenre of the other) are blues based and in that music format, like jazz, in which the drums and bass make up the rhythm section. Rock has always been guitar driven with keys a bit distant in 2nd. Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman tired to change that but couldn't.

Besides, it's Bozzio and he does get in his licks like when he played with UK (replacing the great Bill Bruford) and as far as bass is concerned, Nick Beggs, Chris Squire, Jon Camp or Tony Levin. Beggs and Levin both play the Chapman Stik and take bass players to a whole other level.

wkmac

True, there are exceptions. Keith Moon, Carl Palmer etc.

Saw both live several times in their prime in the early 70's and they surely held their own. Also saw Zeppelin several times and can't talk drums without talking Bonham.

The old school stand alone solo of the past is now pretty much of a bye gone era. Now a solo is about 12 measures, 16 for a long one and then you are back in. Old school the solo was 12 minutes. LOL! With the shredd style of Paganini still somewhat popular on guitar, 12 measures goes by in 12 seconds.
:wink2:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Saw both live several times in their prime in the early 70's and they surely held their own. Also saw Zeppelin several times and can't talk drums without talking Bonham.

The old school stand alone solo of the past is now pretty much of a bye gone era. Now a solo is about 12 measures, 16 for a long one and then you are back in. Old school the solo was 12 minutes. LOL! With the shredd style of Paganini still somewhat popular on guitar, 12 measures goes by in 12 seconds.
:wink2:
Yeah, I was being a bit controversial to get a rise out of the rock and metal crowd. :D

Bonham was a good pocket, groove drummer. Not a great solo or very technical. Now CP was a little more technical but the important thing was he approached drums such as a lead instrument. Also Keith Moon, obviously. They had freedom. Bonham, nasomuch.

Bozzio Levin and Stevens? have done quite a few things iirc, they did an album back in the late 90's that blew my mind at the time.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Those L.A. sidemen "benny and the benjamins" really changed music, created the rock and roll sound that everyone heard on the radio. Many people don't realize that most of the hits they were hearing weren't even the musicians from the band. ;) 5:50 is the best part, union musicians just doing their job.
WKMac may enjoy this one.

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Zakk did do it in the middle and it must have been 20 minutes long. I try not to pick apart the methods of metal and just enjoy it for what it is. Just like sausages. Don't think about what goes into them and just enjoy them.