What are you listening to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkmac

Blackmore's Night put out a DVD several years ago of one of their concerts and it was well worth it. Some friends from Europe tell me that Blackmore's Nights would just unannounced show up at Renaissance type festivals in period costume and period instrumentation and blow everyone away.

Here's a little something quiet and mellow for that 1st cup of Sunday morning coffee.

wkmac

A favor of mine from the mid-70's that was a supergroup made up of Japaneses percussionist/composer Stomu Yamashta, Steve Winwood of Traffic fame, Michael Shireve who had just ended his gig as original drummer for Santana, Klaus Schulze early member of the great Tangerine Dream and guitar phenom Al Dimeola who had just ended his stint with Chick Corea's Return to Forever.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A favor of mine from the mid-70's that was a supergroup made up of Japaneses percussionist/composer Stomu Yamashta, Steve Winwood of Traffic fame, Michael Shireve who had just ended his gig as original drummer for Santana, Klaus Schulze early member of the great Tangerine Dream and guitar phenom Al Dimeola who had just ended his stint with Chick Corea's Return to Forever.

I am always surprised (well .. not any more) how similar our music tastes are. I had all his albums (and then sold on eBay for a nice price) and really enjoyed the output from this diversified group of musicians.
It was a natural progression for me to go from being a Tangerine Dream and Winwood fan to Go's type of compositions.

Have you listened to Klaus work with Pete Namlook? Worth a listen - my fav is Psychedelic Brunch.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
Anyone listen to BPM? LOL, I love this song. Simple and to the point. Excuse me I don't mean to be rude, but

WARNING: EXPLICIT LANGUAGE!!!!!

wkmac

I am always surprised (well .. not any more) how similar our music tastes are. I had all his albums (and then sold on eBay for a nice price) and really enjoyed the output from this diversified group of musicians.
It was a natural progression for me to go from being a Tangerine Dream and Winwood fan to Go's type of compositions.

Have you listened to Klaus work with Pete Namlook? Worth a listen - my fav is Psychedelic Brunch.

I had several friends tell me the same about Schulze and Namlook and I do think I have heard some of their material but don't quote me. I've put it my "to do" list since so many have said it's a must. Have you ever checked out Ash Ra Tempel which is what Schulze worked on between TD and Go?

As for us having similar interests, I can see that and in a general way I'd agree however I also love a huge wide variety of music and not sure you'd agree with some of those choices for yourself. I can easily listen to Donna Summer and ABBA for the fantastic production, then listen to some of the Windham Hill stuff like ShadowFax, George Winston or Liz Story. In the electronica realm, I like Patrick Moraz, Eddie Jobson and of course Jean Michel Jarra. However on a completely oppostite note I like Swedish Progressive Death metal band Opeth along with the dark Katatonia. Even like Avenged Sevenfold.

Jobson has a Roxy Music linkage (can't forget Eno of course) and after the late 70's UK band fell apart, he came out with a solo effort in the early 80's that was just killer IMO.

This will drive Moreluck crazy but I even like Lady GaGa. When you understand most rock and pop is 90% championship wrestling then you look into the music itself and GaGa has IMO some great harmonies and melodies as well. The girl turned down Julliard so she's not wanker when it comes to music and her skills behind the piano. I'd still love to see her and Elton John perform a Chopin duet together as I know it would be killer. Elton John was just as silly in his hayday but his songwriting and playing skills are beyond question.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I had several friends tell me the same about Schulze and Namlook and I do think I have heard some of their material but don't quote me. I've put it my "to do" list since so many have said it's a must. Have you ever checked out Ash Ra Tempel which is what Schulze worked on between TD and Go?

As for us having similar interests, I can see that and in a general way I'd agree however I also love a huge wide variety of music and not sure you'd agree with some of those choices for yourself. I can easily listen to Donna Summer and ABBA for the fantastic production, then listen to some of the Windham Hill stuff like ShadowFax, George Winston or Liz Story. In the electronica realm, I like Patrick Moraz, Eddie Jobson and of course Jean Michel Jarra. However on a completely oppostite note I like Swedish Progressive Death metal band Opeth along with the dark Katatonia. Even like Avenged Sevenfold.

Jobson has a Roxy Music linkage (can't forget Eno of course) and after the late 70's UK band fell apart, he came out with a solo effort in the early 80's that was just killer IMO.

This will drive Moreluck crazy but I even like Lady GaGa. When you understand most rock and pop is 90% championship wrestling then you look into the music itself and GaGa has IMO some great harmonies and melodies as well. The girl turned down Julliard so she's not wanker when it comes to music and her skills behind the piano. I'd still love to see her and Elton John perform a Chopin duet together as I know it would be killer. Elton John was just as silly in his hayday but his songwriting and playing skills are beyond question.

Familiar with and like all you mentioned except the Swedish Death groups ... just not familiar with them but I do like European Industrial Grunge from the likes of Bigod, Einstürzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle, etc so I might like. I ripped all my music and let people peruse an external hard drive on occasion and they are amazed at the diversity of the music I have.

wkmac

Got up this morning and decided to turn the clock back 40 plus years and listened to Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Been years and I had forgotten about the use of channel phasing Ron Bushy's drums and Erik Brann's pick drags that simulates some animalistic scream of a bellowing elephant. Even the bass lines dumped the traditional walking basslines use in so much rock-n-roll for a improvisational approach more common to jazz. Of course the title song took up the entire B-side and the more traditional late 60's psychedelic hippie rock takes up the A-side. Flowers & Beads along with Are You Happy just don't have the same punch it once did!
:happy-very:

Still think Ball was a better album overall and no four/four rock/pop music format here.

wkmac

I'm a fan of the Chapman Stick and here is Rob Martino, a very good stick player performing

moreluck

golden ticket member
This was suggested listening by Stephen King in his "goodbye" column in Entertainment Weekly.......

Status
Not open for further replies.