What's Cookin' ??

moreluck

golden ticket member
Danny's Favorite Chicken and Rice Casserole

By Lorraine of AZ on March 27, 2011

About This Recipe
"This was found in a church cookbook. I don't know who Danny is, but I have to agree with his assessment of this recipe. It is flavorful and quite different, and altogether tasty!"

Ingredients

• 6 slices bacon
    • 6 chicken breasts
    • 1 cup rice ( Uncle Ben's converted suggested)
    • 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
    • 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
    • 2/3 cup water
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees friend. Have ready a glass 9- x 13-inch glass casserole dish. Line casserole dish with bacon strips. Pour rice over bacon. Rinse chicken breasts and place them on top of rice not overlapping. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, oregano, parsley and garlic. Combine soups and water. Pour over everything. Using a rubber spatula, spread evenly.
  2. Cover and bake in prepared oven for 1-1/2 hours or in a 300 degree oven for 2 hours.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Chicken Paprikash

We like cooking chicken skin-on and bone-in, but this recipe will easily work with boneless, skinless chicken pieces as well, if that's what you prefer. Paprika can go flat and tasteless if it is too old. So check your paprika first, before starting this dish.

Ingredients

• 2 to 2 1/2 pounds of chicken pieces, preferably thighs and legs
  • Salt
  • 2-3 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 pounds yellow onions, (about 2-3 large onions)
  • Black pepper to taste
  • 2 Tbsp sweet paprika, preferably Hungarian
  • 1 teaspoon (or to taste), hot paprika or cayenne
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
Method

1 Salt the chicken pieces well and let them sit at room temperature while you cut the onions. Slice the onions lengthwise (top to root).

2 Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and melt the butter. When the butter is hot, pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towels and place them skin-side down in the pan. Let the chicken pieces cook 4-5 minutes on one side, until well browned, then turn them over and let them cook 2-3 minutes on the other side. (Take care when turning so as not to tear the skin if any is sticking to the pan.) Remove the chicken from the pan to a bowl, set aside.

3 Add the sliced onions to the sauté pan and cook them, stirring occasionally, scraping up the browned bits from the chicken, until lightly browned, about 7 minutes.

4 Add the paprika and some black pepper to the onions and stir to combine. Let cook a minute more. Add the chicken broth, again scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and then nestle the chicken pieces into the pan, on top of the onions. Cover and cook on a low simmer for 20-25 minutes (depending on the size of your chicken pieces). When the chicken is cooked through (at least 165° if you use a thermometer, or if the juices run clear, not pink when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a knife) remove the pan from the heat. (If you want, you can also keep cooking the chicken until it begins to fall off the bone, which may take another 30 minutes or so.)
5 When the chicken is done to your taste, remove the chicken from the pan. Allow the pan to cool for a minute and then slowly stir in the sour cream and add salt to taste. If the sour cream cools the sauce too much, turn the heat back on just enough to warm it through. Add the chicken back to the pan and coat with the sauce.
Serve with dumplings, rice, egg noodles or potatoes. (If cooking gluten-free, serve with rice, potatoes or gluten-free noodles or dumplings.)
Serves 4-6.

moreluck

golden ticket member
German Beef Short Ribs
CDKitchen

Ingredients:

3 1/2 pounds beef short ribs, bone-in
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
2 tablespoons shortening or olive oil
2 onions, sliced
3/4 cup red wine
1/2 cup bottled chili sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
4 tablespoons flour, divided
8 ounces egg noodles

Directions:
Coat short ribs in mixture of 2 Tb. flour, salt & pepper. Heat oil in large skillet and brown ribs on all sides. Pour off excess fat.

In crock-pot, combine ribs, onions, wine, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and chili powder. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours, then turn to low for 6 hours, or till done.

Turn control to high and thicken with other 2 Tb. flour that has been dissolved in a little water. Cook on high about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Serve over wide noodles.

moreluck

golden ticket member
CHICKEN ALFREDO

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons italian seasoning
1/2 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup green peas
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 lb dry fettuccine pasta
  1. In large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat olive oil and saute garlic for 2 minutes. Add chicken, pepper and Italian seasoning, and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink.
  2. In medium bowl, stir together onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, milk and water. Add to chicken mixture. Add peas and Parmesan to chicken, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. While sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
  4. Toss pasta with sauce to serve.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Simple pet food recipe:

We used to make dog and cat food separately as dogs need at least 35% protein and cats need at least 65%. Now we just make the 35% mixture and add additional chicken for the cats.

I use all organic foods plus free range chicken. 10 birds last us about 2 weeks. We cut them up, removing skin and as much fat as possible. Boil on medium, you can either boil until done or bring to a rolling boil, turn off, and it will continue to cook in the broth. De-bone and cut into bite size pieces. You can also put it though a food processor but I like to leave a little something for them to chew on.

Organic long grain brown rice makes up about 35% of the mix. I simmer it in broth on low until done. For 10 birds I will use about 9 cups dry rice to about 20 cups broth. (1 c. Rice x @2.25 c. Broth). If you are making a smaller amount it may be helpful to know that with these proportions, 1 c. dry rice = @ 24 oz. cooked.

I let the broth cool and skim as much additional fat off as I can.

Organic veggies comprise about 30%. I use frozen organic green beans, peas and carrots, about 17 16-oz bags for the amount we make. I use mostly green beans b/c they seem to like these best. I've read that it's best to avoid corn because of the carb content. I rinse frozen veggies well and simmer in broth maybe 1/2 hour. Drain. I process these into mush because the critters' digestive tracts don't - you will see them come out much like they went in.

Oh, I cook the chicken in distiller water, btw. Our well water tastes nasty so none of us drink it. I have read, though, that if you're going all organic it's best to use distiller water.

Eggs. I will use 3 dozen yolks for two weeks' food. They're difficult to proportion between cats and dogs as well as between large dogs and small dogs. Our 35 lb beagle/pit bull needs about 3/4 yolk per day, 11 lb yorkie Mix needs about 1/4 yolk per day. Our cats should get about 3/4 - 1 per day.

Fresh parsley: I grind the leaves and try to get everyone about 1 teaspoon per day. It is supposed to help their breath and supposedly helps our diabetic cat with insulin regulation.

The egg and parsley proportions are more difficult to control since we make two weeks at once, but adding them separately each day is more than we have time for. I think we're at least coming close.

I toss everything into a big ole rubbermaid container and get elbow deep to mix it well. I then freeze about two day portions using a vacuum sealer. This food supposedly will keep frozen for 3 months. The most we have ever done was about 1-1/2 month around a long vacation.

From the individual bags we feed twice per day, 12 oz for the larger dog, 3 oz for the small one, 3 oz for the larger diabetic cat and 2 oz for the smaller one.

They all get a little fish oil and and a multi vitamin daily. I purchase these online at Only Natural Pet Store.

If the cost seems high, when we started doing this we gave the dogs 25% protein and the cats 50%. I have found resources saying this is adequate. IMO it's better than the 9 or less they get from most commercial foods, because of the proportion and the fact that they are getting choice cuts as opposed to whatever the food companies buy leftover from human food manufacturers (hubby says beaks and feet).

A couple of books I recommend are The Nature of Animal Healing by Martin Goldstein and Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Richard Pitcairn. There is a wealth of literature out the and most that I've laid eyes on has been helpful.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Chicken, Sundried Tomato and Tarragon Pasta

By Cathy Kerton-Johnson on September 16, 2010

• Ingredients
    • 4 chicken breasts, cut into strips
    • 3 tablespoons sundried tomatoes
    • 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, chopped
    • 4 tablespoons mascarpone
    • 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
    • 0.55 lb pasta, cooked
    • 1 teaspoon olive oil
Directions

1. Heat the olive oil in a pan and saute the garlic until soft (not browned). Add the chicken breasts and brown. Add the sundried tomatoes and tarragon and stir. Add a little water in the pan to prevent sticking. Stir in the marscapone, and turn the heat to low. Bubble the sauce until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Toss over the hot pasta and serve.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I'm not sure where I first read this, but it's been on my kitchen wall for >10 years.

Contemplations When Taking A Meal

I consider the work required in producing this food.
I am grateful for its source.

I evaluate my virtues and examine my spiritual defects.
The ratio between my virtues and defects determine how much I shall deserve this offering.

I guard my heart cautiously from faults,
Particularly greed.

To strengthen and cure my weakening body,
I consume this food as medicine.

As I continue on the spiritual path,
I accept this offering with appreciation and gratitude.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Bryan's Ultimate Meatloaf

2 pounds ground beef
1/2 pound Italian sausage
1 medium size onion
3 garlic cloves minced
2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup Worchester sauce
1 cup bread crumbs
3 eggs
3/4 cup ketchup

1 aluminum bread pan (about 9x5)

In a large bowl, combine ground beef, Italian sausage, onion, garlic, parmesan cheese, Worchester sauce, bread crumbs and eggs. Mix ingredients all together.

Using your knife and being very careful not to cut yourself, make several holes in the bottom of your aluminum bread pan.

Place meat mixture into an aluminum bread pan.

Spread ketchup over top of meatloaf.

Take a cooling rack and place it inside of a baking sheet (jelly roll type) and place the prepared bread tin on top of the rack.

Place in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour or until done. (Internal temperature should be at least 160 degree’s.)

moreluck

golden ticket member
Southwestern Pasta Gratin

"In 'Pasta for all Seasons' by Robin Robertson"

Ingredients

• 8 ounces elbow macaroni
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
    • 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans, drained and rinsed
    • 1 tablespoon chili powder ( to taste)
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1 1/2 cups bottled picante sauce
    • 1 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
    • salt
    • fresh ground black pepper
    • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions

1. <Cook macaroni in a large pot of salted boiling water, stirring occasionally, until it is al dente, about 8 minutes. When pasta is cooked, drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°; lightly oil a 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Heat the oil in a large skillet over med-low heat, add in the garlic and jalapeno; cook until softened, about 1 minute. Add in the beans, chili powder, and oregano. Stir in the picante sauce and tomatoes; mix well. Simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. In a big bowl, combine the macaroni with the bean-tomato mixture and transfer to the prepared dish. Top with the cheese.
  2. Cover and bake for 25 minutes.

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
French Spaghetti

By gailanng on April 15, 2011

About This Recipe

"The cream gives this dish a really rich boost."

Ingredients

• 8 ounces dried spaghetti
    • 1 1/4 cups green peppers, chopped
    • 2/3 cup onions, chopped
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
    • 1 (4 ounce)can sliced mushrooms, drained
    • 1/4 cup pitted ripe olives, drained and sliced
    • 1 tablespoon butter
    • 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
    • 3/4 cup whipping cream
    • 3/4 cup milk
    • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions

1. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions; drain. In a skillet, cook green peppers and onions in the 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in undrained tomatoes and bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and olives. Meanwhile, for white sauce, in a medium saucepan, melt the 1 tablespoon butter. Stir in flour and salt. Add the whipping cream and milk all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. To assemble, arrange spaghetti in an 8x8x2-inch baking dish. Top with white sauce, followed by the tomato-mushroom sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
  2. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree friend oven for about 25 minutes or until heated through.

moreluck

golden ticket member
FOR PASSOVER............

Jewish Grandma's Best Beef Brisket

377911.jpg
Rated:
4.5.gif
Submitted By: FRIENDLYFOOD
Photo By: inounvme

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 4 Hours
Ready In: 4 Hours 20 Minutes
Servings: 10
"My mother makes a GREAT beef brisket. She got the recipe after watching a friend's Jewish grandmother make it. It is perfect, delicious and easily Kosher for Passover. Enjoy!"
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 (4 pound) beef brisket
ground black pepper to taste
2 onions, thickly sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
1.Heat the oil in a large deep skillet or pot over medium-high heat. Season the brisket generously with black pepper. Place in the pan and cook until the surface is a rich brown color, not burnt, but dark. Lift the roast and scatter the onions in the pan. Place the uncooked side of the roast down onto the onions. Repeat the browning process.2.Add the garlic to the pan, and fill with enough water to almost cover the roast. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cover with a lid or tight-fitting aluminum foil. Simmer for 4 hours, turning the roast over once halfway through. The roast should be fork tender.3.Remove the brisket to a serving platter. Bring the broth in the pan to a simmer, scraping the bottom to loosen any browned bits. Cook until reduced to a thin gravy. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2011 Allrecipes.comPrinted from Allrecipes.com 4/18/2011

moreluck

golden ticket member
Making Peter Cottontail for Easter Dinner........
Lapin a La Cocotte - French Rabbit Stew

By EdsGirlAngie on March 31, 2005
picdOOB4z.jpg

About This Recipe
"Rabbit is truly delicious and very lean - yet rich-tasting. This is a delicious preparation with bacon and red wine and tastes best with mashed potatoes or buttery egg noodles. It doesn't take long to prepare, but long slow cooking does make it even better."

Ingredients

• 1 (2 1/2 lb) rabbit, quartered
    • 3 slices bacon, cut in thirds
    • 1 1/2 cups sliced onions
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 3 tablespoons flour
    • 1 cup beef broth
    • 1/4 cup red wine
    • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
    • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
    • 2 bay leaves
    • salt and pepper
Directions

1. In a large skillet or medium-sized Dutch oven, cook bacon until done; remove bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve for another use (for a salad, etc). In the bacon drippings, cook the onion and garlic until transparent. Add the rabbit pieces and saute over medium heat until rabbit is golden. Sprinkle on the flour and continue to brown rabbit for another 5 minutes or so, then add the beef broth, red wine, thyme, parsley and bay leaves.
  2. Cover and simmer over low heat for about an hour, adding more broth if necessary. Salt and pepper to taste (with the bacon drippings, not much salt is needed). Serve with mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Buckwheat Pancakes

Ingredients

• Vegetable oil for coating the pan
  • 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 egg (optional)
  • 2 cups buttermilk
Method

1 Heat a well-seasoned griddle, cast iron skillet, or stick-free pan on medium heat. The pan or griddle should be ready for the batter as soon as it is mixed.
2 Whisk together the dry ingredients—the flours, sugar, salt, baking soda—in a large bowl. In Pour the melted butter over the dry ingredients and start stirring. Beat the egg with a fork and stir it into the buttermilk. Add in the buttermilk/egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir only until everything is combined. Do not overmix. A few lumps are fine.
3 Put a small amount (a half teaspoon) of vegetable oil on the pan or griddle and spread it around with a paper towel to coat. Ladle the batter onto the hot surface to the desired size, about 4-5 inches wide. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Allow the pancake to cook for 2-3 minutes on this first side. Watch for bubbles on the surface of the pancake. When air bubbles start to rise to the surface at the center of the pancake, flip the pancake. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until nicely browned.
4 Keep your pancakes warm on a rack in the oven set on "warm," or stack them on a plate and cover with a towel as you make more. Spread more oil on the pan as needed between batches of pancakes.
Serve with butter and maple syrup.

klein

Für Meno :)
TODAY - April 22, 2011

egg_metrolarge.jpg

The truth about how healthy eggs really are

If you believe yolks are full of cholesterol you're right — but wrong to think it's always bad.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Mom's Goulash (Beef)

CoCaShe on January 18, 2011

"This is my mom's goulash recipe, adapted for the slow cooker. It's great with barley or rice.

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 lbs stewing beef
    • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    • 1 large onions, chopped
    • 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
    • 1 cup red peppers, diced
    • yellow peppers, diced
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • red wine
  • flour
  • beef broth
  • water
    • salt and pepper
Directions

1. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. Heat oil and brown beef. You may want to divide it into two batches so it browns evenly. Transfer to slow cooker. Cool pan a little, then add onion, mushrooms and peppers and more oil if needed. Cook until onion is golden brown. Add a bit more flour and mix with the vegetables. Add broth or water and stir until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer vegetable mixture to slow cooker. Deglaze pan with red wine. Add tomato paste to slow cooker and stir. Cook for 7-8 hours on low. Adjust seasoning as neccessary while it's cooking.
  2. If goulash is too watery, make a slurry (mix flour or cornstarch with water or broth) , add to slow cooker and cook on high for 15-20 minutes.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Greek Spaghetti Casserole

By Bill Woodward on February 16, "Vegetarian Spaghetti Casserole"
Ingredients

• 16 ounces spaghetti noodles
    • 1/4 cup butter
    • 1 large onions, chopped
    • 1 large bell peppers, chopped
    • 32 ounces whole tomatoes
    • 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, drained and chopped
    • 4 ounces chopped black olives
    • 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
    • 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
    • 1/2 cup skim milk
Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 325. Prepare the spaghetti noodles as directed on the package and drain. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet and sweat the onion and bell pepper until they are soft. Chop the tomatoes and add them and the liquid from the can to the sauce. Add the mushrooms and black olives and bring to a simmer for five minutes.
  2. Whisk together the cream of mushroom soup and the milk. Grease a 9"x13" pan. Add half of the spaghetti noodles, half of the sauce, half of the cheese, and half of the mushroom soup. Repeat for a second layer.
  3. Bake 40 minutes at 325.

klein

I'll be cooking these tomorrow, my new job at "Fat Franks" !

I'll get one of those carts, and a location.

That must be an "imbiss", probably makes good money !

klein

I tried this recipe at home today, and had a 5pack of Johnsonville Original Bratwursts.
I did 3 according to the following recipe, and 2, just as the package said (directly on the grill, with longer cooking time).

Amazing, how the beer boiled ones were soo much better !

What's the best way to cook bratwurst ?

Beer and Onion Brats

Ingredients

1 pkg. (19.76 oz.) Johnsonville Fresh Original Bratwurst
1 large onion, sliced thinly
2 bottles (12 oz.) of your favorite beer
1 onion, diced, to garnish
Mustard to taste

Directions

Place the brats, onions and beer in a pan and heat to boiling. Cover, turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove the brats and grill on low to medium heat for 10 minutes. Turn the brats so they are browned on all sides.

Serve on a bun with raw diced onions and mustard - yum!

This is great with potato salad.