When's the last time your center has a hired a RPCD?

rod

Retired 23 years
Rod, RPCD stands for Regular Package Car Driver. Our current contract created a combo inside/outside position called a 22.4. The company is working them as drivers for the whole day and paying them less.
That UPS--it sure is a crafty organization. Thanks for the info.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Rod, RPCD stands for Regular Package Car Driver. Our current contract created a combo inside/outside position called a 22.4. The company is working them as drivers for the whole day and paying them less.
So they are regular package car drivers, albeit lower paid. Union approved, so just call them "drivers".

allahuakbar

She/Her
I actually just found out a guy off the street two months back got hired as a reg package. Didn’t have to go 22.4. Didn’t have to work saturdays either.

kforte36

So they are regular package car drivers, albeit lower paid. Union approved, so just call them "drivers".
It's such bull****. They do more stops than regular drivers for 50% less pay. The regular drivers still complain about their routes even though they can do them with their eyes closed.

kforte36

Some are. Not all. "Regular" drivers should be grateful for what they have instead of looking down on 22.4 drivers who are doing everything you're doing.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
It's such bull****. They do more stops than regular drivers for 50% less pay. The regular drivers still complain about their routes even though they can do them with their eyes closed.

The pay difference is unfair but it is not 50%. At the first year of progression it is only a 50 cent difference. It takes 4 years to top out no matter what. So if you manage to get RPCD within 4 years you aren’t missing out on that much. But 22.4 is still a dumb fake classification just intended to keep labor costs down. I know because I am one 😭

kforte36

Ya it's ridiculous. I work in Illinois and in the center I am in drivers are retiring but 22.4 drivers are not being converted. Your point also assumes that 22.4 drivers would be converted at all. It may never happen.. With the part time wage increases we would get in addition to the 30.64, the pay would be $35. So not terrible but should be the same for doing the same job.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Ya it's ridiculous. I work in Illinois and in the center I am in drivers are retiring but 22.4 drivers are not being converted. Your point also assumes that 22.4 drivers would be converted at all. It may never happen.. With the part time wage increases we would get in addition to the 30.64, the pay would be $35. So not terrible but should be the same for doing the same job.

We have had some 22.4s move up at my building. It definitely happens.

Sixth Punch Sense

The first year is 20.50. The top rate for regular is 41.00. 50% less.
Cherry pick much?

the progression for employees entering a package car driving, feeder or other full-time job (other than an air driver, Article 43 jobs or a job covered by Sections 3, 4 or 6 below) after August 1, 2018 shall be as follows:
Start
Twelve (12) months Twenty-four (24) months Thirty-six (36) months Forty-eight (48) months
21.00 23.00 24.00 28.75 Top Rate
Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 2018 who subse- quently are promoted to full-time employment under this paragraph will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression.

Other part-time employees who bid into a full-time 22.4(b) job cov- ered by this Section will be red circled at their current wage rate until such time as the calculated progression rate set forth below exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the progression set forth below. A part-time employee shall not lose the red circle protection pro- vided by this paragraph as a result of transferring from a 22.4(b) job to a full-time inside job covered by either Article 22.2 or 22.3.
Start
Twelve (12) months Twenty-Four (24) months Thirty-Six (36) months Forty-Eight (48) months
$20.50 $21.25 $22.75 $25.00 Top Rate
The Top Rate shall be $30.64 plus the general wage increases pro- vided in Section 1 above.

Sixth Punch Sense

Cherry pick much?

the progression for employees entering a package car driving, feeder or other full-time job (other than an air driver, Article 43 jobs or a job covered by Sections 3, 4 or 6 below) after August 1, 2018 shall be as follows:
Start
Twelve (12) months Twenty-four (24) months Thirty-six (36) months Forty-eight (48) months
21.00 23.00 24.00 28.75 Top Rate
Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 2018 who subse- quently are promoted to full-time employment under this paragraph will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression.

Other part-time employees who bid into a full-time 22.4(b) job cov- ered by this Section will be red circled at their current wage rate until such time as the calculated progression rate set forth below exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the progression set forth below. A part-time employee shall not lose the red circle protection pro- vided by this paragraph as a result of transferring from a 22.4(b) job to a full-time inside job covered by either Article 22.2 or 22.3.
Start
Twelve (12) months Twenty-Four (24) months Thirty-Six (36) months Forty-Eight (48) months
$20.50 $21.25 $22.75 $25.00 Top Rate
The Top Rate shall be $30.64 plus the general wage increases pro- vided in Section 1 above.
I started as a 22.4 and progressed to an RPCD. The two tier driver classification is awful and lack of protection of OT work for a 22.4 is pathetic.

kforte36

Ya in my center rpcds can come in Saturday and make $60 an hour every week. Some refuse but then complain their paychecks are too small.