Writing on boxes helpful for drivers or Preloaders?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
My strategy for everything is face labels like you are lining up a bunch of books slim and tall along the length of the shelf then write hin on the outside face. like
label
_____
label | hin |
| |
|label|
| |
=====
Writing definitely wastes time but you also make more money and yall got to have priorities. Money first.
idgaf that me and my drivers don't need the hin to sort the entire car in trace.

edit: old school forum formatting strikes again

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I would write HINs on most packages, but that was only to help me keep packages in sequential order. I was under no impression that this was helping the drivers, though they did appreciate the load quality.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I would write HINs on most packages, but that was only to help me keep packages in sequential order. I was under no impression that this was helping the drivers, though they did appreciate the load quality.
Honestly Orion is the wrench that gets thrown through this whole thing. We would not have to worry so much about package visibility if we were doing them in sequence from one shelf to the next but instead the goal is to find exactly one piece buried in the middle and the markings do help with this.

A lot of "how things get loaded" these days personally are a result of Orion.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Quit writing on the damn thing and load it where it says..no wonder preload can’t get wrapped up on time.

🧔✊
UNION STRENGTH , UNION POWER

PCLoadPackage

A lot of "how things get loaded" these days personally are a result of Orion.

Does the Orion system not talk to the PAL/HIN system? If Orion wants the packages delivered in a certain order, why not just put the packages in that order? Orion *actually* figuring out the proper delivery order is a whole separate matter, obviously.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Does the Orion system not talk to the PAL/HIN system? If Orion wants the packages delivered in a certain order, why not just put the packages in that order? Orion *actually* figuring out the proper delivery order is a whole separate matter, obviously.
You would not want that.
The problem is far more complex anyways, we don't live in a world where every pieces can be retrieved top shelf to bottom shelf, front to back without any issues whatsoever.
A start would be to computer program the listed weights, dimensions, and recorded dimensions (at certain hubs) for a frequent customer stop to pick a shelf or floor location where the package would best be placed, and then use this in conjunction with delivery location data to determine if it goes towards the front of the car or the back of the car. After this is done, all infrequent and non-commit packages would be balanced towards the middle of the vehicle in the usual 1,2,3,4 pattern in trace.

What you can do today is recognize these bulk stops and move them to a different location accordingly. The normal method is to snake the hins around but it's far better to find a light, unused corner and move a big stop to it in order to balance your shelves out. I have hin #4000 air filter boxes that almost always find their way to 7999 on a daily basis because they are light and fit the top shelf like a glove.

Last edited:

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
i'm a new driver but i find it very helpful. even if it's only once every few boxes it gives me a reference point so when i'm walking back through the package car i can move things forward or back of the writing as necessary.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Your key to being a successful loader is the spa label , as u take the box off belt rip spa label off and place it on end of package facing inside of truck. Label should be hot off the press and easily taken off. WORK SMART, NOT HARD
🧔✊

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
i can't read the loaders handwriting half the time anyway so i tend to turn all the hin labels towards the bulkhead door or write them on the box myself.

pkgdriver

Your key to being a successful loader is the spa label , as u take the box off belt rip spa label off and place it on end of package facing inside of truck. Label should be hot off the press and easily taken off. WORK SMART, NOT HARD
🧔✊
Some centers use the imprinter....very few SPA labels on the packages.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Loaders, I don’t care what you do as long as you don’t:
-Put the handcart in the cab....then fill the spot where the handcart goes to the point where I can’t put the damn thing back
-Make me lift heavy crap anymore than necessary, especially if it’s because of your lazy choice to bury that oversized next day air
-have more than 1 misload (I figure everybody should get a freebie on that, it’s gonna happen) and none in a different zip code
-touch my friend*ing pens or sticky pads
-talk to me as if we’re friends on the line. Just load my boxes dude I’m tired and grouchy until I get air off
-Ask me where you should put the air....idk, the friend’ing 1000 shelf maybe??
If you can follow these simple rules and just try at least a little bit I will reward you handsomely on Christmas Eve. Last year I gave my guy 60$ and put in a word for him multiple times for driving. He’s already gone from 22.4 to RPCD all in the past 8 months

Rack em

Made the Podium
Loaders, I don’t care what you do as long as you don’t:
-Put the handcart in the cab....then fill the spot where the handcart goes to the point where I can’t put the damn thing back
-Make me lift heavy crap anymore than necessary, especially if it’s because of your lazy choice to bury that oversized next day air
-have more than 1 misload (I figure everybody should get a freebie on that, it’s gonna happen) and none in a different zip code
-touch my friend*ing pens or sticky pads
-talk to me as if we’re friends on the line. Just load my boxes dude I’m tired and grouchy until I get air off
-Ask me where you should put the air....idk, the friend’ing 1000 shelf maybe??
If you can follow these simple rules and just try at least a little bit I will reward you handsomely on Christmas Eve. Last year I gave my guy 60$ and put in a word for him multiple times for driving. He’s already gone from 22.4 to RPCD all in the past 8 months
I give my loader $100 twice a year, but he goes above and beyond, best loader I've ever had.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I give my loader $100 twice a year, but he goes above and beyond, best loader I've ever had.
Where do you find those... all our people are brand new....all the people who were there to drive have taken the job...now there’s just the 10 preload veterans and literally everybody else is green and still indoctrinated by UPS.
I learned more about preloading from drivers than I did anybody on the preload...I was lucky to have loaded for 2 20+ year cool ass old dudes

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
I knew a loader that loaded a drivers truck. The driver was a complete :censored2: and one day that preloader loaded the truck completely backwards. As if the driver were delivering from the back. All in pal order of course. Lmfao.

PPH_over_9000

Writing on boxes is a good idea, but even better is peeling and reapplying the PAL sticker to whichever side of the box is facing the driver.

Some centers use stamps, though, so in that case writing on every 3rd-5th box would help your driver tremendously. Writing on every package would be great, but not always feasible. It also helps the loader keep the load a bit more orderly, and eventually you'll find yourself getting better and better at building number lines.