1000 Jobs Saved...

Oldfart

I believe that passing on important information from the people who will develop and manage policy beginning in January is more helpful to the overall conversation than your endless supply of insults and put downs which are nothing more than a testament to your own ignorance.
Another good day for FDX stock. Please continue to recommend people sell it. I believe since you recommended that a week or so ago, it has gained about $8. Your business knowledge, or lack of it, is making me and others some good money.

bacha29

So, you are saying it would of been better for the workers and the country if carrier would of just closed the plant and left immediately? .......foolish!!!
What I'm saying is will they be in the US long enough to recoup the concessions that had to be made in order to persuade them to stay? And after Carrier has capitalized to the fullest extent from those concessions why would they then choose to stay if their bottom line dictates a move to Mexico. In other words is Trump buying a future for those employees or is he simply buying them little more time? I was involved in a somewhat similar situation. My employer was bought out by a larger player in the industry. The promise of bringing additional business to the facility I worked at along with a promise to double the number of employees earned them an industrial development and other concessions. Six months after they bought the place it was obvious that they were not committed to the place and within a year we knew what they were there for. In reality what they were after was our existing volume not the other way around. Three hundred people lost their job.

bacha29

I never said sell it. I only said that it was DOWN GRADED from buy to hold due to the fact that the cost of TNT integration was going to cost much more than what was first estimated. Earnings will dictate the future price and those earnings may be under pressure. Eight bucks is a single digit percentage move in a week. That is nothing out of the ordinary. Call everyone a loser if you want to. The real loser is the guy like yourself who has nearly all if not all of his retirement in just one stock and has the audacity if not flat out ignorance to call the kids who will be tasked with the job of preserving that retirement going forward as '" miserable's " "losers" etc.

It will be fine

So, you are saying it would of been better for the workers and the country if carrier would of just closed the plant and left immediately? .......foolish!!!
I don't think people are saying that. It helps those people who kept their jobs. Both parties make similar deals all the time. It seems to be pretty standard. This should concern Trump supporters. They voted in change, not the status quo. The working class looking for union manufacturing jobs should not be impressed by this policy. The work will be done in Mexico. The union workers in Indiana will lose all their bargaining leverage. If they strike all production will just continue in Mexico.
So, yes saving jobs is a good thing in the short term, but this policy is not infinitely replicable. It's mostly a PR move.

Oldfart

I never said sell it. I only said that it was DOWN GRADED from buy to hold due to the fact that the cost of TNT integration was going to cost much more than what was first estimated. Earnings will dictate the future price and those earnings may be under pressure. Eight bucks is a single digit percentage move in a week. That is nothing out of the ordinary. Call everyone a loser if you want to. The real loser is the guy like yourself who has nearly all if not all of his retirement in just one stock and has the audacity if not flat out ignorance to call the kids who will be tasked with the job of preserving that retirement going forward as '" miserable's " "losers" etc.
1% a week and let that happen for a few weeks sounds like a great return. It is up about 25 or 30% year to date. I guess that is nothing out of the ordinary in maroon business views such as yours.

Have you been looking at my Vanguard statement? Once again your total ignorance and lack of business sense is showing. My financial advisor "Dowe Cheaten and How" taught me along time ago not to put all my eggs in 1 basket.

bacha29

1% a week and let that happen for a few weeks sounds like a great return. It is up about 25 or 30% year to date. I guess that is nothing out of the ordinary in maroon business views such as yours.

Have you been looking at my Vanguard statement? Once again your total ignorance and lack of business sense is showing. My financial advisor "Dowe Cheaten and How" taught me along time ago not to put all my eggs in 1 basket.[/QUOTE Good but despite your relentless but futile attempts to make people jealous of your investment portfolio one fact still stands out. If you are as knowledgeable as you say you are then how come after 42 years with that company you are still just a box lugging route courier? As for you precious retirement portfolio WHICH NOBODY CARES ABOUT why did you have to secure the services of a portfolio manager? My comments regarding the investment climate is with the hope that it might help somebody. On the other hand and in keeping with your insecurities your intent is to make them jealous. What does it take to make you understand that it's not going to work?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Your party does exactly the same thing. By the way there's a bearing plant not far from the Carrier plant that is also going Mexico and the people there are asking why Trump isn't saving their jobs. Several hundred employed there as well.

And in bacha's world, we shouldn't preserve ANY jobs unless we can preserve EVERY job. Highly intelligent reasoning, as expected.

bacha29

And in bacha's world, we shouldn't preserve ANY jobs unless we can preserve EVERY job. Highly intelligent reasoning, as expected.
Then answer this question. Why were 800 jobs at one Carrier plant in Indiana chosen to be saved but no attempt was made to save 1300 other jobs at another Carrier plant in Indiana along with several hundred jobs at a bearing plant just few miles up the road ? Don't try to tell that they weren't competitive but the 800 were because special concessions had to be made in order to save them. Those 800 were saved for no reason than the political and public relations benefits they had to offer. But don't worry, when those concessions expire and Carrier has exhausted the benefits those 800 will be quietly shipped off tho Mexico to join the other 1300 that are already there.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I don't think people are saying that. It helps those people who kept their jobs. Both parties make similar deals all the time. It seems to be pretty standard. This should concern Trump supporters. They voted in change, not the status quo.

Oh, come ON!

Obama specifically addressed Trump and Carrier earlier this year. He mocked Trump's comments about negotiating a better deal and made his infamous "magic wand" remark. Obama's answer for the Carrier situation? Job training programs for people who would lose their jobs.

You guys can (and probably will) nitpick this until you're blue in the face, but Trump showed how lazy Obama has been when it comes to working on behalf of the American blue collar worker.

bacha29

Oh, come ON!

Obama specifically addressed Trump and Carrier earlier this year. He mocked Trump's comments about negotiating a better deal and made his infamous "magic wand" remark. Obama's answer for the Carrier situation? Job training programs for people who would lose their jobs.

You guys can (and probably will) nitpick this until you're blue in the face, but Trump showed how lazy Obama has been when it comes to working on behalf of the American blue collar worker.
Oh, come ON!

Obama was a minority president for the last 6 years of his presidency. Any pro labor legislation he might have introduced would have been killed in committee.Just as his attempt to get overtime pay for low salaried employees was overturned by a pro business Texas judge last week.And no doubt that his order raising the minimum wage for employees of government contractors will no doubt be abolished by Trump.