Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Well a combo job would have delivering and something else....I guess. Traditionally pkg car routes were all day. pickups and deliveries.

So, a route is not a route it would seem. I'm not there so I don't know.

So, how about coverage? Do 22.4's only cover 22.4's? So, who does what? Serious questions.

And so vacations and such would all have to be done separately?

And language intent? See, you mentioned it.....but if we are just going by "best intentions"......no wonder we are constantly getting run over.

We (22.4s) are underpaid unassigned cover drivers. We work as directed and this mostly involves covering full routes, driving splits, and running Saturday routes. It can also be cleaning up bulk, taking 40 stops here and there from other drivers, etc. I have not yet seen an RPCD cover bump a 22.4 off a cover route for the day but I am under the impression that they could if they wanted to.

quad decade guy

We (22.4s) are underpaid unassigned cover drivers. We work as directed and this mostly involves covering full routes, driving splits, and running Saturday routes. It can also be cleaning up bulk, taking 40 stops here and there from other drivers, etc. I have not yet seen an RPCD cover bump a 22.4 off a cover route for the day but I am under the impression that they could if they wanted to.
How do you bid vacations? Amongst 22.4's only? do pvd's get vacation?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Underpaid? 22.4 progression is a couple quarters different from RPCD until third year. How many 22.4s have completed three years of progression at this point?

Seymour Packages

Underpaid? 22.4 progression is a couple quarters different from RPCD until third year. How many 22.4s have completed three years of progression at this point?
Yes, underpaid. When you add in overtime rates, sick leave, optional days, and vacation, the company saves millions. Base pay for 8 hours for a 22.4 in their first year is 20.50 an hour, $164 for a days work. For an RPCD in the first year of their progression, its $168 for an 8 hour day at $21. That's $20 a week less, per 22.4, base pay vs an RPCD in the first year of progression. Add that up over a year, at base pay. Factor in overtime, and you can see how the company pockets millions by having a two-tiered driver system.

MyTripisCut

Yes, underpaid. When you add in overtime rates, sick leave, optional days, and vacation, the company saves millions. Base pay for 8 hours for a 22.4 in their first year is 20.50 an hour, $164 for a days work. For an RPCD in the first year of their progression, its $168 for an 8 hour day at $21. That's $20 a week less, per 22.4, base pay vs an RPCD in the first year of progression. Add that up over a year, at base pay. Factor in overtime, and you can see how the company pockets millions by having a two-tiered driver system.
I’m not promoting it and never did. But complaining in progression for $4 a day? Gtfo.

Seymour Packages

I’m not promoting it and never did. But complaining in progression for $4 a day? Gtfo.
So $4 a day less, minimum, to do the same job and never work inside? Gtfo. How about putting everyone in the same RPCD classification/ progression. This scumbag organization takes so much from us, why give them what you consider to be a small amount of money back? 22.4s in my building have never worked inside. I'd argue that the company screws them harder than it does any of us RPCDs, with none of the protections. Yet they dangle the carrot of full time employment and a chance to be an RPCD in front of guys/gals that DO THE SAME JOB WE DO FOR A DISCOUNT with no 9.5 protections, no way to bid a route, no chance of ever working M-friend, etc. But hey, it's a job, right? Next contract let's see how low they drop the bar. $14 an hour? jUst bE HapPy tO hAve a joB.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

The entire point of progression is to save the company money. Forget making $4 less per day for doing the same job, how about making $128 less per day to do the same job? I voted no partly because 22.4 and part time wages, but let's not pretend 22.4 is the only bad thing to ever come out of a contract negotiation.

MyTripisCut

So $4 a day less, minimum, to do the same job and never work inside? Gtfo. How about putting everyone in the same RPCD classification/ progression. This scumbag organization takes so much from us, why give them what you consider to be a small amount of money back? 22.4s in my building have never worked inside. I'd argue that the company screws them harder than it does any of us RPCDs, with none of the protections. Yet they dangle the carrot of full time employment and a chance to be an RPCD in front of guys/gals that DO THE SAME JOB WE DO FOR A DISCOUNT with no 9.5 protections, no way to bid a route, no chance of ever working M-friend, etc. But hey, it's a job, right? Next contract let's see how low they drop the bar. $14 an hour? jUst bE HapPy tO hAve a joB.
I’m in agreement with all of your point. Im only saying that the difference in pay between 22.4 and RPCD in progression isn’t that far apart until they reach top rate, then they REALLY get screwed. Some of the things you say are unfair are things RPCD already deal with here, we don’t bid routes in my local.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
It’s not by much if you are in the first year of progression. It’s just the principle of it. If the work that an RPCD is doing is worth $21/hr from the start, how come the same work is worth $0.50 less if you are doing it Tues-Sat?

MyTripisCut

It’s not by much if you are in the first year of progression. It’s just the principle of it. If the work that an RPCD is doing is worth $21/hr from the start, how come the same work is worth $0.50 less if you are doing it Tues-Sat?
It’s not.

But it is now. Pandora’s box has been opened, there’s no going back.

I make more than that being a PT Car Washer. Guess the 22.4 should have voted.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I make more than that being a PT Car Washer.

Be honest and tell the truth.

You have spent more than 40 years, "cultivating" your position.

The chance, of you having that (UPS) job anywhere else.... is slim to none.

Taking advantage of stupid management people ?

Yep.

You did that.

Please don't encourage others.... to think that is still a possibility.

-Bug-

quad decade guy

Yep.

You did that.

-Bug-
And you feeding at the trough at our expense elsewhere is slim to none also.

And taking advantage of stupid hourly people? You've done well....

Yep.

You did that. Self admitted.

Yep.

You did that.

-Bug-
Stupid management people also have taken advantage of my work ethic also. The Union created my PT job and payrate and seniority rules. I just take advantage of them. The same as anyone else would do.

WTFm8

I have over 3, it’s called being a TCD when 22.4 was introduced and ‘forced’ into 22.4 to “maintain seniority”. Next to go M-friend, initially red circled when it was under 3 but been making $3.75/hr less for a few months now vs the RPCD progression I was under.