30 Minute Break Problem (Mass.Only?)

Purplepackage

If it's your state law Fedex could probably get in trouble even with you going over 3 minutes.

It's like not "take an hour break if your going to be over 8 rule" that's their own rule and you absolutely don't have to do that

vantexan

If it's your state law Fedex could probably get in trouble even with you going over 3 minutes.

It's like not "take an hour break if your going to be over 8 rule" that's their own rule and you absolutely don't have to do that
Used to do a 4X10 rt that I would take an hour break in the middle of the day no matter whether I was working 7 or 10 hrs that day. I'd go to Subway and sit and read paper and relax. They used to demand we take hour breaks and that was fine with me. Then they decided they could drop a rt in our loop and divide it up amongst the rest of us. Suddenly was running like crazy and most days could only get a 30 min break after 1630, sometimes 1730(starting at 0745). Had no choice in order to make service and get back to bldg on time. And that was perfectly fine with them as long as it suited their needs. The company's take on things seems to be safety and breaks are fine but squeezing out an extra nickel comes first. If couriers get in an accident because they're tired and overloaded it's on the courier.

whenIgetthere

We are required to take an hour if over eight here. Got a message from my manager last week asking me to cover the PUP route in my area due to a sick call, and made sure he added it was OK to only take a 30 minute break. No problem!

Star B

White Lightening
Sounds like a bad law.
It's a good law that protects workers from employers that try to deny a workers right to a meal break.

Laws what happens when employers don't allocate time for employees to have a break. Such as with Express. If you're an extended route with a P1 commit of 16:30 that is heavy or a DRA route where DRA stupidly puts business SO at the end of your route when you RTB at 15:10. Do you take your break and then have lates, or do you run during the day and take your break at the end? If state law mandates it, then it's on FedEx to make sure you have time for a break AND make service. If it doesn't, then it is always your fault because "you didn't plan right" even though you have NO control over the amount of freight or DRA. Oncalls compound the situation as well.

That is one part where I want a Union. The union should protect against idiocies such as that.

Meal breaks have been proven to increase productivity and safety.

My personal rule, I'll take it when I need it. I've heard grumbling from some of the lifers that they don't like breaks because it breaks the flow of the day and slows them down. I'm typically on an extended route so I'm not nearly as taxed physically as someone with a tight in-town route and 120 stops.

I've printed my timecard and forgot to take a break, but as soon as I noticed it, I went into the breakroom and sat for another half an hour and wrote it on the card. The timeclocks (at least ours) will let you punch out again at a different time. They will not let you double-punch twice in a minute.

I'm in a state that goes off FX policy of 6-30, 8-1, even thought the 8-1 is never enforced unless it helps on-road numbers.

It will be fine

Laws what happens when employers don't allocate time for employees to have a break. Such as with Express. If you're an extended route with a P1 commit of 16:30 that is heavy or a DRA route where DRA stupidly puts business SO at the end of your route when you RTB at 15:10. Do you take your break and then have lates, or do you run during the day and take your break at the end? If state law mandates it, then it's on FedEx to make sure you have time for a break AND make service. If it doesn't, then it is always your fault because "you didn't plan right" even though you have NO control over the amount of freight or DRA. Oncalls compound the situation as well.

That is one part where I want a Union. The union should protect against idiocies such as that.

My personal rule, I'll take it when I need it. I've heard grumbling from some of the lifers that they don't like breaks because it breaks the flow of the day and slows them down. I'm typically on an extended route so I'm not nearly as taxed physically as someone with a tight in-town route and 120 stops.

I've printed my timecard and forgot to take a break, but as soon as I noticed it, I went into the breakroom and sat for another half an hour and wrote it on the card. The timeclocks (at least ours) will let you punch out again at a different time. They will not let you double-punch twice in a minute.

I'm in a state that goes off FX policy of 6-30, 8-1, even thought the 8-1 is never enforced unless it helps on-road numbers.
The sitting in the break room for a half hour after your shift is what makes it a bad law to me. That benefits no one.

Star B

White Lightening
The sitting in the break room for a half hour after your shift is what makes it a bad law to me. That benefits no one.
Yes, it sucks. But it allows an "out" for someone who forgets to take their break and realizes they punched at 6:01.

Plus, the rest of the comment makes a point of managment not providing a block of time on a route for a break. We as couriers don't know if DRA has planned for it or not, and especially when it shows your RTB at 15:10 and you have SO at the end of your route, do you want to guess if it did it or not?

Oldfart

Used to do a 4X10 rt that I would take an hour break in the middle of the day no matter whether I was working 7 or 10 hrs that day. I'd go to Subway and sit and read paper and relax. They used to demand we take hour breaks and that was fine with me. Then they decided they could drop a rt in our loop and divide it up amongst the rest of us. Suddenly was running like crazy and most days could only get a 30 min break after 1630, sometimes 1730(starting at 0745). Had no choice in order to make service and get back to bldg on time. And that was perfectly fine with them as long as it suited their needs. The company's take on things seems to be safety and breaks are fine but squeezing out an extra nickel comes first. If couriers get in an accident because they're tired and overloaded it's on the courier.
Man, you just CAN'T catch a break. You got crapped on EVERYTIME you clocked in. You are like the woman in the movie "Airplane" when everyone on the plane took turns hitting her. No wonder you are so bitter.

vantexan

Man, you just CAN'T catch a break. You got crapped on EVERYTIME you clocked in. You are like the woman in the movie "Airplane" when everyone on the plane took turns hitting her. No wonder you are so bitter.
So it was something I was doing that caused them to give me more work? You should have heard the other couriers in that loop complain. Besides extra very rural deliveries for me I was given the Wal-Mart distribution center pup. Had to be there by a certain time to make pup, no exceptions. Which is why I had to take break late every day. Funny thing was mgr who decided to restructure our loop figured one day that he could give me the Wal-Mart bulk delivery too which ranged daily from 50 up to 400 pkgs. I had to code them up before 1630 so that they wouldn't be late per his order. First day doing it I had 80 pkgs. Guy who met me to help with pup said he couldn't sign for them, only a mgr could per new policy. So I took care of pup while waiting for mgr. When she showed up said couldn't just sign per new policy. Had to identify each pkg on computer which was going to take at least an hour and a half. It was 1720 at that point, station is an hour away, I hadn't had a break yet, and had to be back at station no later than 1845(and I was late). So I loaded up freight and took it back to station. Mgr asked why I didn't deliver them, I told him why.

Next morning he accused me of lying to him, and he was going to deliver freight himself and find out what really happened. Took a handler with him to help as he was also taking the bulk that came in that day. Took deliveries off of two other couriers in the loop too including 33 dels off our most extended courier who was really slammed that day. And guess what? Got stuck at Wal-Mart for over 3 hrs and didn't have time to deliver those 33 dels. Got a warning letter for it. He also got a warning letter shortly after for putting gas in a diesel Sprinter. And said something to a courier shortly after I transferred out that got him a third warning letter and fired. This was the guy that lied about my hours and duties along with another courier when we transferred in. Lied to me numerous times. You really don't know what goes on out there and lucky you. This guy was so bad that we had another courier calling district director's office numerous times about him. Don't think you'd be so content and satisfied working for him.

Oldfart

So it was something I was doing that caused them to give me more work? You should have heard the other couriers in that loop complain. Besides extra very rural deliveries for me I was given the Wal-Mart distribution center pup. Had to be there by a certain time to make pup, no exceptions. Which is why I had to take break late every day. Funny thing was mgr who decided to restructure our loop figured one day that he could give me the Wal-Mart bulk delivery too which ranged daily from 50 up to 400 pkgs. I had to code them up before 1630 so that they wouldn't be late per his order. First day doing it I had 80 pkgs. Guy who met me to help with pup said he couldn't sign for them, only a mgr could per new policy. So I took care of pup while waiting for mgr. When she showed up said couldn't just sign per new policy. Had to identify each pkg on computer which was going to take at least an hour and a half. It was 1720 at that point, station is an hour away, I hadn't had a break yet, and had to be back at station no later than 1845(and I was late). So I loaded up freight and took it back to station. Mgr asked why I didn't deliver them, I told him why.

Next morning he accused me of lying to him, and he was going to deliver freight himself and find out what really happened. Took a handler with him to help as he was also taking the bulk that came in that day. Took deliveries off of two other couriers in the loop too including 33 dels off our most extended courier who was really slammed that day. And guess what? Got stuck at Wal-Mart for over 3 hrs and didn't have time to deliver those 33 dels. Got a warning letter for it. He also got a warning letter shortly after for putting gas in a diesel Sprinter. And said something to a courier shortly after I transferred out that got him a third warning letter and fired. This was the guy that lied about my hours and duties along with another courier when we transferred in. Lied to me numerous times. You really don't know what goes on out there and lucky you. This guy was so bad that we had another courier calling district director's office numerous times about him. Don't think you'd be so content and satisfied working for him.
Mercy. You should write a book titled "My Miserable Life As A Courier"

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Dunno why OF is trying to contradict van's posts...

OF is at station 1, upstate's version of the BOG, while van has a bigger picture of various terminals, which makes his experience more plausible

I'm at terminal #4 & 70 routes in at the HD/ ground side of the opco s, but I rather stay at the HD side of things because of all that juggling around for pickups and time commits can make or break u

Although both of you add to this discussion, just go ahead and enjoy your retirement once it rolls around.

Van isn't all bitter, just stating the facts that some terminals suck, whilst a few are run with competent managers who makes the job more tolerant