30 Minute Break Problem (Mass.Only?)

vantexan

Once again, find a post of mine where I complain and whine about my pay or benefits like tex does. No complaints from me. Where else can a person make almost 28.50 an hour while driving a van with some ice cold air, thanks to my fine vehicle mechanic, and listen to the new Beatles channel on Sirius radio all day. Life is good.
After 14 years, almost 15 when I quit in 2013, I was at $18.17hr with a lesser pension. I know, I know, that's good enough for me because you got yours.

vantexan

2012, 2010,2005,2001 heck, your entire career you got crapped on because you were such a pain in the butt, managers had to hate you. Sorry employees just can't catch a break.
Tops in productivity, mgrs always counted on me to help out on Saturdays and days off, and always asked me to reconsider when I transferred. But no matter how hard I or any other midrange employee worked we were expected to settle for a lot less than what you got. The difference between my $18.17 and your $28.50? Around $21k a year on just 40 hrs.

Oldfart

After 14 years, almost 15 when I quit in 2013, I was at $18.17hr with a lesser pension. I know, I know, that's good enough for me because you got yours.
People like you didn't deserve what you got. If your manager could have, he would have put you back to newhire pay. Your coworkers avoided you like the plague and your customers hated seeing you walk thru the door because you had such a crappy disposition.

I waited on you in Sparta Ky. Thought you were gonna pay me a visit. I guess your paperdoll collection kept you occupied. While your wife's friend kept her occupied. Bummer

Oldfart

Tops in productivity, mgrs always counted on me to help out on Saturdays and days off, and always asked me to reconsider when I transferred. But no matter how hard I or any other midrange employee worked we were expected to settle for a lot less than what you got. The difference between my $18.17 and your $28.50? Around $21k a year on just 40 hrs.
I didn't make 28.46 in 2013. Can't remember what RTD/Swing pay was in 2013 but I would imagine it was $23 or so. Kind of makes your $21k difference not correct.

vantexan

People like you didn't deserve what you got. If your manager could have, he would have put you back to newhire pay. Your coworkers avoided you like the plague and your customers hated seeing you walk thru the door because you had such a crappy disposition.

I waited on you in Sparta Ky. Thought you were gonna pay me a visit. I guess your paperdoll collection kept you occupied. While your wife's friend kept her occupied. Bummer
Lets put it this way...I did more for FedEx, delivered more, volunteered more, unloaded more cans, did so much more in 29 years than you ever did with your cake route in 40 years. And yet you got a lot more because you got in early. Nice to be you, not having to really earn that higher compensation. You must be very proud. And to any topped out courier here reading this I've said many times you deserve what you get, you've earned it. Just wanted to get the same deal that never came. And I shot myself in the foot quitting in '97, rehired in '98. But never expected them to do what they did and was happy to work another 7-8 years to get back to top out. Didn't turn out like that and even in 2012 I was hearing from new hires that they were told they'd top out in 7-8 years. More lies from a very deceptive "people company" and their enablers like Old Fart. Such is life.

vantexan

I didn't make 28.46 in 2013. Can't remember what RTD/Swing pay was in 2013 but I would imagine it was $23 or so. Kind of makes your $21k difference not correct.
I was rehired at $10.85. Took 14 years to get to $18.17 so you did much better than I did all along. And if the company could retain new hires they'd still be dragging time to top out to 30+ years.

Oldfart

Lets put it this way...I did more for FedEx, delivered more, volunteered more, unloaded more cans, did so much more in 29 years than you ever did with your cake route in 40 years. And yet you got a lot more because you got in early. Nice to be you, not having to really earn that higher compensation. You must be very proud. And to any topped out courier here reading this I've said many times you deserve what you get, you've earned it. Just wanted to get the same deal that never came. And I shot myself in the foot quitting in '97, rehired in '98. But never expected them to do what they did and was happy to work another 7-8 years to get back to top out. Didn't turn out like that and even in 2012 I was hearing from new hires that they were told they'd top out in 7-8 years. More lies from a very deceptive "people company" and their enablers like Old Fart. Such is life.
You are correct. You were the greatest courier the company ever had. You said you ran 21 sph, 145% on road and never called in sick, were never late and never had an accident. You were a legend in your own warped whinny candy az mind.

vantexan

You are correct. You were the greatest courier the company ever had. You said you ran 21 sph, 145% on road and never called in sick, were never late and never had an accident. You were a legend in your own warped whinny candy az mind.
In the stations I worked at I met a few couriers that were extremely good. And I imagine in the 700 or so stations there are plenty more. But I do know that I worked a lot harder than what I was compensated for and I'm 100% certain I could run circles around you because you haven't worked some of the insane rts I have or for some of the insane mgrs I have. I can cite 7 or 8 rts harder than anything you've seen, but I'll just point to the one in Eagle Pass, TX that I did for $12.57hr that $25hr wouldn't be nearly enough for what they demanded. I think I can honestly say I was the only courier in the U.S. that was having a small tractor trailer sent 300 miles roundtrip to pick up his outbound plus the small amount another courier pupped. Thank goodness I was 40 at the time because I couldn't handle it now. You think you know me, you think you know FedEx, but you really don't.

Rhoderunner

Guys....please don't stop. This is better than anything on TV tonite.
MrW5mUX.gif

Oldfart

In the stations I worked at I met a few couriers that were extremely good. And I imagine in the 700 or so stations there are plenty more. But I do know that I worked a lot harder than what I was compensated for and I'm 100% certain I could run circles around you because you haven't worked some of the insane rts I have or for some of the insane mgrs I have. I can cite 7 or 8 rts harder than anything you've seen, but I'll just point to the one in Eagle Pass, TX that I did for $12.57hr that $25hr wouldn't be nearly enough for what they demanded. I think I can honestly say I was the only courier in the U.S. that was having a small tractor trailer sent 300 miles roundtrip to pick up his outbound plus the small amount another courier pupped. Thank goodness I was 40 at the time because I couldn't handle it now. You think you know me, you think you know FedEx, but you really don't.
You are absolutely correct. I am a lazy no good overpaid courier who gets RTD pay. You are the absolute best courier that ever POD a package.

Star B

White Lightening
the 8hr rules isActually DOT, you cannot work more than 8hours uninterrupted, the break period is intended for you to be rested, and not a danger on the road.

However, the 8 hour rule is waived for non-cdl local drivers.

From JJKeller:
Do drivers who are exempt from logging need the 30-minute break?
No. Drivers who qualify for the “100 air-mile radius” or “non-CDL 150 air-mile radius” provisions in section 395.1(e) are NOT required to take the minimum 30-minute break.

MassWineGuy

So here's how it went yesterday. My manager's on vacation, so another one showed me a corrected time sheet to sign. I told him that yes, I knew and felt bad about the break violation. But I also mistakenly punched in 3 mins early, which is what his concern was. Correcting this eliminated the break violation.

Preventable

I've never had a break violation for no break in 6 hour shift. The closest I came was one time I was 10 mins over I had gate keeper put 20 min break in during the sort (yeah falsifying I know). But I have over 8 hours with only 30 mins all the time and never get hassled about it, I think because the manager knows I had good reasons. Also I am a full time swing and I think I can count the times I worked off the clock/break on 1 hand, I am very vehement about it 99% of the time. One time we had down time during the sort and manager wanted me to do training then go on break, then they wanted me back at my sort position for sort start ended break at 58 mins and went back to work and went over 8 hours... not my problem... I am not one of these guys that worship or curse the company but the company explicitly says NEVER work off the clock... But yeah I would just say think ahead as a full time swing I think about it and usually give myself 30 mins extra if I try to get out without a break because of the constant bull:censored2: they throw at us swings at the end of our rts. If it slips your mind and you think you won't have an hours worth of work after you take your break just tell dispatch you need a little bit more work to avoid break violation that is part of their job.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I've never had a break violation for no break in 6 hour shift. The closest I came was one time I was 10 mins over I had gate keeper put 20 min break in during the sort (yeah falsifying I know). But I have over 8 hours with only 30 mins all the time and never get hassled about it, I think because the manager knows I had good reasons. Also I am a full time swing and I think I can count the times I worked off the clock/break on 1 hand, I am very vehement about it 99% of the time. One time we had down time during the sort and manager wanted me to do training then go on break, then they wanted me back at my sort position for sort start ended break at 58 mins and went back to work and went over 8 hours... not my problem... I am not one of these guys that worship or curse the company but the company explicitly says NEVER work off the clock... But yeah I would just say think ahead as a full time swing I think about it and usually give myself 30 mins extra if I try to get out without a break because of the constant bull:censored2: they throw at us swings at the end of our rts. If it slips your mind and you think you won't have an hours worth of work after you take your break just tell dispatch you need a little bit more work to avoid break violation that is part of their job.
Please tell me you are aware that they can't make you take a break while waiting for freight and you choose to.

Star B

White Lightening
I've gotten hell from both AM mgrs for not taking a "break" with the rest of the workforce during winter irregular ops. "THERES A REASON WHY WE WANT EVERYONE TO DO IT!!RBLRARARARGRGHLE IF YOU DONT DO IT NOBODY WILL BLERGHLE!"