5:00am- 3pm DOT courier

amazondriverdude

If you had to guess, what would a route that starts this early consist of? Lots of business priority stops? I interviewed for it the other day, but when I asked the operations manager he was pretty vague about it.

McFeely

Huge Member
Maybe an airport shuttle run in the morning, followed by morning sort and deliveries?
Possibly a First Overnight route and overflow help.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If you had to guess, what would a route that starts this early consist of? Lots of business priority stops? I interviewed for it the other day, but when I asked the operations manager he was pretty vague about it.
The early start is for the sort. You could be loading trucks, scanning docs or the boxes or unloading the truck. Your route wouldn’t start until after the sort goes down. Business priority changes from route to route. No way to know.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The manager was vague because he won’t know for sure until you start because it will depend on where they have a need.

amazondriverdude

The manager was vague because he won’t know for sure until you start because it will depend on where they have a need.
Ahh, ok. So, will I start out as a swing driver (even though it didn't say that in the job ad) who just moves around and helps with whatever route needs someone to fill in or help with misc stuff?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Ahh, ok. So, will I start out as a swing driver (even though it didn't say that in the job ad) who just moves around and helps with whatever route needs someone to fill in or help with misc stuff?
If you’re going to be a swing driver, on a rare day will you be getting off by 1500. Yes, you will cover routes when people are off. It will be days and most likely multiple PM routes.

amazondriverdude

In the past few weeks I've seen swing am, swing pm, 2am start time, shuttle driver, 11-8, and the 5-3 I applied for. All at one delivery station. There's been like 15 FT and PT positions on the website in two weeks. Is that normal?

falcon back

Don't pay attention to any answer you get on here. Every station and every manager has different needs. There is no way anyone can give you a correct answer because they are not the hiring manager. You will just have to wait till the offer letter comes and even those can be pretty vague at times.

outtatime

5am start is usually for the FO drivers. You'll either go to the ramp to get your FO deliveries, or a meet point to get them. Once you're done with FO deliveries you'll head back to the station and they'll give you some P1 stops to make.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I keep hearing about RESPONSE. What is it?
Of all the stupid ideas FedEx has come up with, it’s the worst. Even managers can’t lie and say it’s a good thing. We have always had a morning sort where we got our freight/deliveries for the day, delivered them then went home when done.

NOW our freight is late everyday except Monday and we have two sorts a day, one in the morning and one around midday. The morning routes leave the building anywhere from one to three hours late. They hired new people to do the midday deliveries. Problem is, those people don’t stay around long or they can’t get enough of them, thus making it necessary for a lot of that freight to be brought out to the morning couriers for delivery or to be rolled to the next day. It’s all supposedly to save on flights and OT. OT is through the roof and many routes are having to hand their outbound to other routes so it can make the truck in the evening. One huge fluster cluck.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
And in other stations some outer area routes were changed where stuff due by 10:30 is deliveried by PTers and the FTers after maybe working 30 years at FedEx, we’re forced to routes that start at 11:00 and they’re supposed to be out til 8:00pm. Morale is in the crapper.

Stat41

Previously we use to get our freight once, in the morning. With the RESPONSE program we get most of our freight in the morning, then there is a second sort at the station around noon that gets more freight to be delivered in the same areas by mid-day routes. In addition to making the afternoon deliveries, the mid-day routes are also expected to cover pickups at the same time. In my opinion this has proven to be an abysmally poor implementation of a failed plan. Or to put it better, its a dumpster fire and train wreck all in one.

McFeely

Huge Member
In addition to making the afternoon deliveries, the mid-day routes are also expected to cover pickups at the same time.

Probably depends on the station. Our mid-day routes (Wave 2) do not do any pickups at all. Any outbound has to be handed off to a Wave 1 driver or pup driver. Our Wave 2 drivers aren't done with their routes until about 2 hours after our CTV pulls.