Archives

J

jcroche

Still climbing - @14:57 we're up $1.21 on volumn of 3.603M shares.

And this is in a "down" market!

(and all I wished for was a $.02 / trading day increase!)

R

rshoe4056

(and all I wished for was a $.02 / trading day increase!)

I need .025/trading day! But...I'll take anything I can get, especially if it is like 2-25-02 and today,2-26-2002. Truly delightful to see more green than red.

Wonder what is happening to cause a nice increase two days in a row! WOW!

J

jcroche

By rshoe4056 on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 12:52 pm

"Wonder what is happening to cause a nice increase two days in a row! WOW!"

And I wonder why the big jump in volumn in an increasing stock price in a decreasing market?

Hmmm?

M

moreluck

Last I heard, there was news that UPS's non-delivery side of business will double their revenue by 2007. When reporting this, there wasn't a "but"..... after it.

D

dabusdrivr

BLOOMBERG

United Parcel expects to double non-delivery revenue
By 2007

By Alan Ohnsman
Louisville, Kentucky, February 25, 2002 -- United Parcel Service Inc.
wants to more than double sales from non-delivery business and raise revenue
from overseas operations within five years to sustain growth at the largest
package-delivery company.

By 2007, ``we expect 15 percent to 20 percent of our revenue to be
attributed to supply chain solutions,'' Mike Eskew, the company's chairman
and chief executive officer, said in a conference call from an analysts'
meeting in Louisville, Kentucky.

Non-delivery business brought in $2.4 billion, or 7.8 percent of the
Atlanta-based company's $30.6 billion in sales last year.

The announcement comes after United Parcel last week formed the UPS Supply
Chain Solutions unit to handle sales and marketing for businesses that don't
deliver packages. The change allows a single salesperson to offer services
ranging from inventory and distribution oversight to financing, mail
handling, freight management and customs clearance.

International sales as a portion of overall revenue are also expected to
rise to as much as 20 percent within five years, Eskew said. Overseas
business in 2001 accounted for about 14 percent of United Parcel's sales.
The company's shares, which have gained 4.8 percent this year, today rose 30
cents to $57.10. The conference call occurred after the close of New York
trading.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

UPS sees first-quarter earnings at upper end of range, better 2002

ATLANTA, February 26, 2002 -- United Parcel Service Inc. said Tuesday it
expects first-quarter earnings to be at the high end of analysts' forecasts,
citing its successful effort to curb expenses.

Last month, UPS said it expects to earn 40 cents to 47 cents per share in
the first quarter. Wall Street analysts expect the freight-delivery giant to
earn 46 cents per share, according to a consensus survey by Thomson
Financial/First Call.

``The quarter is unfolding fairly well,'' UPS Chief Financial Officer Scott
Davis said Tuesday at a conference with analysts in Louisville, Ky. Volume
growth is 1 percent to 2 percent lower than in 2001, but profit margins have
held up and the company has tightened spending, he said.

For the second quarter, UPS expects to earn 50 cents to 55 cents per share.
UPS earned 55 cents per share in the same quarter of 2001.

UPS also said it anticipates improved revenues and earnings in the second
part of 2002, ``assuming a timely completion of labor negotiations with the
Teamsters union and a strengthening economy.''

The Teamsters' five-year contract with UPS expires July 31.

The company said the profitability of its international business should
improve more than 50 percent and that its nonpackage business would
contribute about $100 million.

UPS shares rose 72 cents to $57.82 in midday trading on the New York Stock
Exchange.

R

retired

The investor conference has done a great job of getting the word out there. The important part of the equation is going to be the follow through. UPS stock price still has some room to go up as long as we follow the business plan.

H

hr

Big Brown Buffs Its Image

February 27, 2002

(Reprinted from Traffic World)

By John D. Schultz

"What can BROWN do for you?"

OK, so it may not absolutely, positively be the zippiest slogan ever produced by Madison Ave. But United Parcel Service says the slogan "provides continuity across the UPS brand as UPS extends its capabilities into logistics, freight forwarding, customs clearance and finance." UPS is spending $45 million this spring to change the way you think of the color brown.

In what UPS says is the largest and "most aggressive" advertising campaign in its 95-year history, the company is using what it claims is "only the fifth tagline in the company's history."

For the record, the other four taglines were: "We save you money from the ground up," 1982; "We run the tightest ship in the shipping business," 1985; "The package delivery company more companies count on," 1993; and "Moving at the speed of business," 1995.

The new campaign was launched with a three-page spread in the Wall Street Journal and television spots on the Winter Olympics. Neither are considered cheap media buys. Throughout the spring, UPS says it will spend $45 million on the campaign. The spots will be shown in prime sporting events and such "premium programs" as the Academy Awards.

It's another product of the Martin Agency. This was the ad agency that gave you the "chief operating elf" during Christmas. To show the state of the advertising industry, that spot was named one of the "50 best spots" by Adweek magazine.

"At UPS, brown is more than a color," says Dale Hayes, UPS vice president of brand management and customer communications. "It's a tangible asset that people associate with all the things that are good about our brand."

UPS spokesman Steve Holmes said internal research showed brown "showed the solid consistency of what we do."

The Teamsters union, which is currently in negotiations with UPS over a new contract, said the fact the company was willing to spend $45 million to buff its image was a good thing.

"They're going to have to decide whether spending $45 million on an ad campaign during contract negotiations is a wise use of resources," Teamsters spokesman Bret Caldwell said. "This is an extraordinarily profitable company. It made $2.4 billion last year. So $45 million is a drop in the bucket to them."

The fact that UPS is playing up its growth in its logistics unit rubs the Teamsters the wrong way. The Teamsters are eyeing that nonunion unit as an organizing possibility and are wary of any work shifted to that unit from the unionized part of UPS's business.

"Certainly UPS's growth is good, it creates jobs and generally creates good Teamsters jobs," Caldwell said. "We're going to discuss growth with them in their logistics sector and work to reach agreement on neutrality."

All in all, the Teamsters say they don't have a big problem with UPS's flooding the airwaves to enhance its trademark brown color.

"I don't think it alters negotiations," Caldwell said. "It just shows they are willing to spend money."

G

gsx1990

Figures, the teamsters want to get their hands on the non-union logistics business.... Since they
have to tell UPS how to spend their advertising
budget now....

If im correct, UPS was not a sponsor of the SLC
olympics? Correct? It got GREAT ratings!! Much
higher than the ones UPS was a sponsor for.

Our closing price today is the highest the stock
has been in almost a year. If only the teamsters
and UPS could come to a fair agreement EARLY!!!

gsx90

U

upsdude

Every 2-3 years (in my area) we go through a period of intense effort to improve driver appearance. Efforts to improve the way we look to the public is a good thing, but there is one item I just dont understand. Why are we allowed to wear BLACK shoes, BLACK socks, BLACK belts, but NO BLACK t-shirts or turtle necks?????? Adding insult, the wheels on our trucks are BLACK, the DIAD is BLACK and Brown. Most of the door trim on my building is painted BLACK. Come on UPS, think about it! A BLACK turtleneck will look much more professional (and CLEAN) than a white one. Yes, we do have the option of wearing brown, but I can buy 3 black ones for what I would spend on one brown shirt from the catalog vendor.

P

peacock71

I agree, clothes don't make the man, the man makes the clothes...

Go UPS!
P71

H

hubiebrown

From The Far Eastern Economic Review

UPS CHIEF Mike Eskew has a vision of a commercial revolution in the 21st century, in which faster information flows will enable greater security from terrorist attacks and consumers will make increasing use of the Internet to take control of the supply chain. He told REVIEW editor Michael Vatikiotis that companies will get better at managing inventories:

HOW IS IT GOING TO HAPPEN?

We think as the economies come around there are two dynamics for making the next jump to the next era of commerce. One dynamic is what we call consumer pull -- so that consumers are able to pull through the supply chain anything they want, when they want it, from anyone they choose, on a one-by-one basis the items they need. We think that's terrific for inventory -- to keep inventories lean and thin. The other dynamic, we do believe, is globalization. There are 60 million people on the Internet in China who understand that Gap jeans are something desirable to have, so they pull those through the supply chain. We see evidence of these dynamics working. Our fourth quarter was stronger and our Christmas period was stronger because the e-commerce channel was alive during the fourth quarter. Also in the fourth quarter European exports were (up) 15% and Asian exports were up 7% year-on-year.

A LOT OF PEOPLE THINK PERHAPS THAT TRADE AND RESTRICTIONS MAY BE INCREASED AFTER SEPTEMBER 11.

I think it's just the opposite. I think that this whole movement of information really is the enemy of terrorism. If I can tell people: "This is what's coming in," I can alert that country that it's from this shipper, it's this item, it's got this value and was manufactured in this country. And I can give that information and say: "It is from here to there, from that person
to that person," before the plane ever leaves. This is what's coming. Giving them the way to identify a package so they can be cleared -- that's good for trade.

It's also good for security. It speeds up the movements of goods through countries. So we do believe that the same information that's good for
security is good for trade.

SO YOU SEE EVIDENCE THAT COUNTRIES HAVE INCREASED LEVELS OF SECURITY?

The seamless transmission of information offers a sense of security. We thoroughly inspect the packages we don't know about (and) we've been able to help different customs with this kind of information.

WHAT KIND OF NEW TRENDS ARE HELPING TO MAKE THE INDUSTRY MORE EFFICIENT?

People will be trying to find ways to streamline their supply chain. We talk a lot about the way that Amazon.com has made some improvements -- they use their information well. What happens is that the same information entered on-line by a customer goes into the inventory, goes down the assembly line and
onto the label on the box for shipping. It's all the same bit of data. People have started to use a streamlined flow of information.

BUT DOESN'T THIS RELY ON BETTER COMMUNICATIONS AND COMPATIBLE SYSTEMS?

The Internet is a good front end, and then standard back ends have being coming into place over the last few years. So you take the Internet as the good front end and take the data stream from there. You are starting to see
evidence of companies that weren't making money in this e-commerce before that are now making money because their supply chain is much more streamlined and the winners and losers will be those who have the most streamlined supply chain.

ANY REALLY NEW TECHNOLOGY ON THE HORIZON?

We scan every package, which is a time-consuming process. With 13 million packages a day, it takes a lot of time and attention -- and occasionally we miss one. So we'd like to make that as foolproof as possible. One of the technologies that makes it more foolproof is radio-frequency transponders.

Well, you can't afford to put a $200 transponder on a $10 dollar package. But the technology is becoming much more efficient and cheaper, so that the transponder is created by the ink that creates the label.

R

robonono

Mike said:

"Well, you can't afford to put a $200 transponder on a $10 dollar package. But the technology is becoming much more efficient and cheaper, so that the transponder is created by the ink that creates the label."

--------------------------------------------------

Think of the time and money we will save if this technology becomes cost effective.

P

proups

TimeToChange: you are right on the money.

P-Offed: you need to take some beginners business or economics classes so you can have a better understanding of running a business. I'm not insulting you here - I just think it is time for the people who think UPS is screwing them to pick up a paper on Sunday morning, look at the help-wanted ads, and find a job making as much money. Sure, we earn it - but at least UPS gives us that opportunity.

tdu: look at Hoffa's qoute under the picture of the rally participants: "The whole nation is watching....we're going to show them we are back." What does that mean? I haven't noticed that "we" went anywhere. The only thing he can be talking about is making this a media circus - and that is not good for any of us.

Since my last post about the middle of February, I have seen more customers diverting volume. Why? They have to keep running if we go on strike. Lost packages mean lost jobs. Some of you need to take a look at your seniority list - when will you be told that you can bump the least senior part-timer in the hub?

Get to the union now. We need a settlement quickly. After 1997, businesses don't trust that the Teamsters won't try and shut the company down for a couple of weeks. And remember, while we are out on strike, those union officials continue to get paid. I saw something that struck a nerve in a magazine a while back: when the Bridgestone/Firestone plant in Decatur, Illinois shut down at the end of 2001 due to the tire problems they experienced with the Ford Explorer (costing 1500 union jobs), the person that walked out of that plant on the last day with the last tire produced was the union official. He planned to mount it on his wall! What is that? Certainly not a success story. You can bet the Teamsters officials don't suffer while we are on strike.

Get busy!

U

upsdude

P-Offed.....

"...cut Jarrett off"
I'm happy to know that you're not running the company.
UPS picked up $105.1 million in TV exposure last year, thanks to Jarrett. Seems like a pretty good investment to me.

Heres a clip

2001 Series champion Jeff Gordons sponsor Du Pont ($136.4 million) finished next among the team sponsors, followed by Texaco ($105.4 million), series newcomer UPS ($105.1 million) and Miller Lite ($102.5 million). Altogether, 19 sponsors exceeded the $50 million level in 2001.

Heres the link.
http://www.joycejulius.com/index.html

P

proups

upsdude: you are right about Jarrett. Where can we get almost ten times the bang for our buck in advertising? Again: P-Offed needs to take some basic business courses.

T

tdu

Full-time Jobs
Create 3,000 new full-time jobs during each contract year by combining part-time jobs. Preferred part-time jobs not to be combined.
Grievance Procedure -
Innocent till Proven Guilty Extend "innocent till proven guilty"

to cover cardinal infractions in all supplements, riders and adden-dums.
Employee not to be removed from the job
until charge is sustained through the grievance pro-cedure.
Grievance Procedure - Right to Strike
Eliminate binding arbitration as a means to resolve deadlocked national panel decisions, instead allow-ing the right to strike. Extend the right to strike at
deadlock to local and area panels as well.
Excessive Overtime
If an employee is forced to work two 9 1/2 hour days during a week payroll period, they will be paid dou-ble time for all hours in excess of 8 hours a day for the entire period. (Exceptions allowed for peak sea-son.)
Sub-contracting
Work preservation language that bans future sub-contracting or assignment of Teamster work to any
new UPS ventures. Also UPS must end sub-con-tracting of Air work covered by Article 40 and return the work to the bargaining unit by July 31, 2003.
Organizing
Allow union recognition in non-union UPS sub-sidiaries and joint ventures based on the collection of a majority of authorization cards rather than on an NLRB election. UPS must remain neutral during organizing drive and must provide lists of employees to the union in all non-organized units.
Over-70 Pound Package Handling
Require multiple labels on over-70 packages so they can be identified from all angles. All irregular trains in hubs must be operated by two Teamsters. Allow local unions to negotiate a separate delivery system where over-70 volume is high.
Article 40 - Air Operations
Mandate the creation of a full-time package car job for three violations in a sixty day period of exception language that allows air drivers to handle ground volume under extraordinary circumstances. 3 1/2 hour daily guarantee for part-time air drivers. Other changes to plug loopholes in Article 40.
Length of Agreement
A three-year agreement, expiring on July 31, 2005.
UPS Rank & File Network Summary of IBTBargaining Proposals

Want to keep up to date about the UPS contract campaign?
Send me more information about winning a strong contract.
Contact me about setting up a contract meeting in my area.
Iwant to join TDU. My one-year membership is enclosed.($20 for part-timers; $35 for full-timers)
Name: _______________________________________________ Local: ___________________
Center: ________________________________ Job: ___________________________________
Address: ______________________________________________________________________
Phone: ________________________________ E-mail: _________________________________
Clip and return to:UPS Rank & File Network / TDU, PO Box 10128, Detroit, MI 48210

T

thedrooler

Most, if not all, of the teamster proposals in TDU's post amount to nothing more than featherbedding. It has put a lot of large companies out of business, and did a lot to increase the market shares of various foreign companies in the US marketplace. Featherbedding has cost more union jobs than it has created. The radical element in the teamster union needs to be reigned-in by the rank and file before they can do any more damage.

H

hubiebrown

Is the Teamster's logo trademarked? Why does the union allow the TDU which is radically opposed to everything to use their logo and name?

Wonder what it says about both groups?

Perhaps the TDU is too weak to exist on its own if it needs to piggyback on the name recognition of the larger more mainstream Teamster union simply to continue its existence. How far out of line do you have to get before the Teamsters can be called mainstream by comparison?

Isn't it a sad that an organization so opposed to the Teamsters must steal the good name of the Teamsters to support it's very existence?

T

thedrooler

TDU

Take your drival to a teamster board. No one here gives a spit about your "cause" or your dissatisfaction with the teamsters. You and the rest of your slack-jawed group would be better served on a board specifically designed for whining not investing.

Drooler

T

tdu

Drooler,

This is a UPS board and UPS employes more Teamsters than any other company in the world. This is a good place to get exposure to the TDU issues. If you don't like it then don't read it. The only one whining here is you.

TDU