Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hey guys quick question... I know that some locals have it set up where when you go into feeders you keep your full time seniority for bidding runs and vacation. For locations where feeder is considered a different classification, how could this be changed to the former...is this through the contract during negotiations or just through a local teamster vote. I don't see how ups could care either way...

barnyard

KTM rider
I am pretty sure that in order to change it, you have to write up the proposal and it gets voted on. Has to win by a majority of the number of members and because many won't vote, the chances of any change passing are negligible.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I am pretty sure that in order to change it, you have to write up the proposal and it gets voted on. Has to win by a majority of the number of members and because many won't vote, the chances of any change passing are negligible.
So it really has nothing to do with ups??

barnyard

KTM rider
So it really has nothing to do with ups??
I really do not know for sure.

We wanted to change a couple of things on the preload and the BA came in and explained it. We decided that so few really cared that it had no chance of passing, so we dropped it.

Edited to add... it will be in the bylaws for the local. The BA will be able to say if it can be changed and what it would take to change it.

More than likely, the company position is going to be the one that most strongly divides the members.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
The feeder department I was in, Your seniority date started over when you went into feeders, with the exception of your company seniority, which was used to accrue vacation weeks. I went from #2 in my package center to about #90 or so when I went into feeders in 1985. You basically start over. You are lower than a snake's belly in a wagon wheel rut. Every contract time, it was brought up about using 1 seniority date only, and base everything on that. Would I have liked that? Sure. I would have moved up 20 spots in seniority overnight. It never happened, and I'm ok with that. Changing the rules in midstream and jump ahead of people would cause a lot of animosity among your fellow feeder drivers. There is not a lot of turnover in the feeder depart compared to other classifications. Feeder drivers are a close knit bunch and we would go to wall for a fellow feeder driver. Don't need or want a bunch sudden enemies to work around. I agree with the way it is currently done.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You need to change it in your supplement. We had classification seniority years ago and got rid of it (good riddance). Now our FT seniority dovetails in the way it should. Some junior guys got their feelings hurt but they got over it.

iamjeffaiden

I start Monday as a seasonal feeder. From what I understand this first week is training and orientation. I'll try to post what we do day by day this first week so when others are curious about that first week, they can find it all in one post. I didn't find a single post with all that info when searched for it.

SOOOO.... I spoke with a co-worker of mine from the job that I just left. I didn't know it at the time, but he used to work at UPS as a feeder driver. He gave me a bunch of information and just wanted to run it by all of you to see if this is accurate info - you know, because truck drivers ALWAYS are so accurate and truthful HAHA

1) 1st week - Monday will be an easy day (I guess paperwork and such); Tuesday will be an easy day plus road test; Wednesday will be training on hooking up doubles, maybe driving a little; Thursday the same and Friday you'll be running on your own.

2) The bigger hubs (I'll be in one and he was at the same one) have safety guys (he called them something else) running around on golf carts making sure we are doing everything the UPS way.

3) When lowering or raising landing gear, no one fingered or one handed. Must use both hands the entire time.

4) We can use a Bluetooth headset to talk on the phone while driving and we may use it to listen to music from our phones as long as one ear is always open to hear things around you.

5) When passing another semi on the side of the road, not only do you get in the other lane (as is common in the industry), but you must tap your horn to let them know you are passing them.

6) If you have a newer truck for your route, other drivers will try to get you to switch trucks with them and if you are a nice guy and are willing to do stuff like that to help out others, he said don't. Only if dispatch switches you out.

7) When pulling into certain hubs and you have to use the call box, you need to give them the trailer numbers, the hookup number (sorry, I can't remember what that thing is called) and dates of the inspections.

8) Never ever leave with a pup unsealed.

9) Never leave a key in a truck when you get out even if it's to do a pre-trip.

10) You must wear a seat belt whenever on the hard, even if it's just to hook your trailer/pup.

11) As a seasonal driver, when you get in they will give you a run. It may be 3 hours or 5 hours or 9 hours. When you get back they will ask you to work the yard for the rest of your 14. I asked him how close to my 70 I can get, he said oh, you'll work your entire 70 and probably in 5 days (14 hour days). By the way, this is what I was hoping for!

I had an extra question for you guys. Does the yard work count against your 70? Can you get extra work that doesn't count against your HOS?

I know most of these questions and info I'll find out next week. But I love hearing straight from you guys. I don't know about UPS, but most companies the trainers usually don't have accurate information and may be outdated and not relevant to the current job.

Thanks guys!

barnyard

KTM rider
Evidently searching does not work for seasonal feeders. Sigh.

edited to add: merged unto the thread that already answers almost all of your 'new' questions.

iamjeffaiden

Evidently searching does not work for seasonal feeders. Sigh.

edited to add: merged unto the thread that already answers almost all of your 'new' questions.

Several of those have been answered in other threads that i read but not all so i included everything that my buddy told me into one thread. Figured for future people searching they can get more info in one post. Plus as most people, i like confirmations so if there is one answer for a question then later a second one confirms it, that creates a bigger percentage of a chance to be correct.

I do use the search function.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Several of those have been answered in other threads that i read but not all so i included everything that my buddy told me into one thread. Figured for future people searching they can get more info in one post. Plus as most people, i like confirmations so if there is one answer for a question then later a second one confirms it, that creates a bigger percentage of a chance to be correct.

I do use the search function.

You will have to excuse barnyard. He has a very itchy "close thread" finger.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
The problem is that UPS could not get enough shiny wheels who are only willing to work a couple of days here and there.

They have eliminated a bunch of team runs, especially in Louky, so that these contractors would have 5 days of work.

As far as I know, there are no team drivers laid off. The only problem being is that some are stuck working the yard only getting 8 hours.

I don't know if you are referring only to your hub, or what, but nationwide they've cut out sleeper teams. It's a huge deal. If the union lets them get away with it, it would be the first crack in our wall.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don't know if you are referring only to your hub, or what, but nationwide they've cut out sleeper teams. It's a huge deal. If the union lets them get away with it, it would be the first crack in our wall.
What is the unions official statement on this... I know In my local they take any kind of changes seriously... Especially when it comes to feeder.