Coldworld

60 months and counting
I've been pretty unhappy with the communication between the international Union to the locals and ultimately to the members... And if we do get any info from the Hogg it's so watered down... Wtf??

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I don't know if you are referring only to your hub, or what, but nationwide they've cut out sleeper teams. It's a huge deal. If the union lets them get away with it, it would be the first crack in our wall.

I heard it was nationwide, but have first hand knowledge of the cuts in Louky.

And I am hearing it is only during peak so that the shiny wheels have enough work to get them to commit for the month and a half.

We will see.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I heard it was nationwide, but have first hand knowledge of the cuts in Louky.

And I am hearing it is only during peak so that the shiny wheels have enough work to get them to commit for the month and a half.

We will see.
So after peak ups drivers will continue with the sleeper teams???out of curiosity how many sleeper runs are out of lousy??

ManInBrown

Why do I see contracted feeder drivers milling around the yard, at my center every night when I return? Are they allowed to use outside workers during peak? Plain clothed individuals with non-ups 53 footers in the yard. All different types of trucking company logos

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Why do I see contracted feeder drivers milling around the yard, at my center every night when I return? Are they allowed to use outside workers during peak? Plain clothed individuals with non-ups 53 footers in the yard. All different types of trucking company logos
That's the problem... We don't know if it is from companies that use zone skippers or actually scabs that are pulling our loads.... I've seen them on occasion pulling logo ups 53 footers....on the freeways

ManInBrown

That's the problem... We don't know if it is from companies that use zone skippers or actually scabs that are pulling our loads.... I've seen them on occasion pulling logo ups 53 footers....on the freeways
I don't know what zone skippers are, but these drivers are not UPS employees. They are plain clothed individuals in the yard pulling NON-UPS 53 footers around the yard and also leaving the property with empty or full trailers. I don't know

barnyard

KTM rider
I don't know what zone skippers are

We have accounts that load gypsy trailers for specific hubs. The gypsies pull their trailer to our hub where it is unloaded and sent to centers for delivery. An example would be a company in Wisconsin, loading trailers for a hub in California. A gypsy that runs a 'creative' logbook pulls it to California. The packages are ours and if the gypsy cannot get their trailer on or off the door, we might have to do the switch for them. The shipper pays UPS and UPS pays the gypsy carrier.

It is a fairly common practice with really large shippers.

edited to add... in my local, the union allows it on loads where the gypsies are pulling it from the customer, NOT off UPS property.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We have accounts that load gypsy trailers for specific hubs. The gypsies pull their trailer to our hub where it is unloaded and sent to centers for delivery. An example would be a company in Wisconsin, loading trailers for a hub in California. A gypsy that runs a 'creative' logbook pulls it to California. The packages are ours and if the gypsy cannot get their trailer on or off the door, we might have to do the switch for them. The shipper pays UPS and UPS pays the gypsy carrier.

It is a fairly common practice with really large shippers.

edited to add... in my local, the union allows it on loads where the gypsies are pulling it from the customer, NOT off UPS property.

Believe it or not, there are some customers that do not want a union company on their property.

We use contractors at these businesses to bring them to the hub using their trailers.

barnyard

KTM rider
Believe it or not, there are some customers that do not want a union company on their property.

I delivered to one of those companies in package. Got a forklift driver to sign, he made me find his boss, his boss read me the riot act for talking to an employee. My wife worked there at the time and I asked WTF?? She said it was an anti union thing. Over time, she was not allowed to attend company benefit meetings because she would ask about things they do not cover. Her reply was always, "My husband's Teamster package covers that."

After that incident, I asked the regular driver about it and he knew about their 'policy' just never equated it with anti union. The place was a car part manufacturer that had several union shops and were trying to keep the union out of that shop.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

We use contractors at these businesses to bring them to the hub using their trailers.
Let me know who they are and I won't be doing business with them anymore... Even the biggest anti union company Walmart uses ups for some of their deliveries...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I delivered to one of those companies in package. Got a forklift driver to sign, he made me find his boss, his boss read me the riot act for talking to an employee. My wife worked there at the time and I asked WTF?? She said it was an anti union thing. Over time, she was not allowed to attend company benefit meetings because she would ask about things they do not cover. Her reply was always, "My husband's Teamster package covers that."

After that incident, I asked the regular driver about it and he knew about their 'policy' just never equated it with anti union. The place was a car part manufacturer that had several union shops and were trying to keep the union out of that shop.
Ridiculous... And to think there still are suckers who think working for a union is the worst thing that could happen. All you have to look at is Mississippi and Alabama for this little lesson...anti Union south, 2 of the poorest states in the union...toward the bottom of the lists on things like poverty, quality of life, homicide rate,education... It goes on and on...a coincidence ...I don't think so

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Ridiculous... And to think there still are suckers who think working for a union is the worst thing that could happen. All you have to look at is Mississippi and Alabama for this little lesson...anti Union south, 2 of the poorest states in the union...toward the bottom of the lists on things like poverty, quality of life, homicide rate,education... It goes on and on...a coincidence ...I don't think so

Yeah, but at least the unions aren't screwing things up for them...

barnyard

KTM rider
Yesterday, I did a day of extra work, a rarity for my center. I screwed the pooch entering legs and all that, but by the end of the day, all my mistakes became clear.

When doing CPUs, if doing trailer swaps, the leg is a TA, if doing CPUs it is not. I did not know my PU slic and things skittered downhill from there.

I was trying to make a trailer swap CPU a regular CPU and just changing the trailer numbers in the Ivis. Also, I did not know that with a CPU that is not a swap, you are still entering the CPU slic as the 'end loc' when you are on their property.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Yesterday, I did a day of extra work, a rarity for my center. I screwed the pooch entering legs and all that, but by the end of the day, all my mistakes became clear.

When doing CPUs, if doing trailer swaps, the leg is a TA, if doing CPUs it is not. I did not know my PU slic and things skittered downhill from there.

I was trying to make a trailer swap CPU a regular CPU and just changing the trailer numbers in the Ivis. Also, I did not know that with a CPU that is not a swap, you are still entering the CPU slic as the 'end loc' when you are on their property.
What's really fun is doing a trailer swap, then using the partially loaded trailer you picked up for CPUs.

barnyard

KTM rider
What's really fun is doing a trailer swap, then using the partially loaded trailer you picked up for CPUs.

That was what I did 2 years ago for my 1st CPUs that I did not enter in correctly. We had a run that left with a set of empties, did 3 CPUs. 2 were trailer swaps, the last was "fit it all into the trailer with the most room, use both if you have to." Break down the set at every CPU, reassemble and answer IVIS question "What takes so long doing those CPUs?"

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm all about this

2qz3U5b.jpg

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Neither the guy I shared tractors with or I smoked. There was 1 particular guy who used to grab my assigned tractor and drive it. I could tell the instant I opened the door to put my stuff inside. It smelled like a frickin ashtray. No need to look at the DVIR. He left his calling card. Having said that, The smell would usually go away after a shot of febreez and a few minutes of open windows. I would almost prefer the smoker to the guy who trashes the tractor and leaves it that way for me to find. Empty coke cans, chicken bones and sunflower seed hulls, etc. Man I hated those hulls, cause they would suction themselves down to the floor and would not sweep out. Usually the people who trash the equipment I drove worked the exact opposite shift as I. I may not see them, ever. A note in their inbox that read "Your mother does not work here. Please clean up the mess you leave in 266074. It was clean and swept out when you got into it." Usually worked.

trickpony1

.....if it's especially bad

....so if it's just a "little bad", the accumulative effects of inhaling it all day won't affect you?

There are laws about smoking in a shared work area. Second and third hand smoke affects people differently.

If the truck has been smoked in, I won't drive it. Period.