Truth. I got help from quite a few senior drivers when when I was fresh out of training, you run into the occasional grump but most are more than happy than to help out and also give you some tips that you didn't learn in class.

We're usually grumpy when the noobs don't listen. Funny, then hear it a little better when they're filling out crash reports though.

MaceFremonti

Best piece of advice that I've received from Circle of Honor drivers is to call in when it snows. Forcast for tonight and tomorrow is 8+ inches here and possibly 15 inches in the mountains......now where did I put my phone?:cool:

QKRSTKR

It's a bit different than driving a package car in a little square mile area. 80,000 lbs going down a road you can't see isn't fun. Call them what you want but if you put it in the ditch it's business as usual with UPS. You will be fired. What's better? One night off or possibly many months off?

Way to disrespect circle of honor drivers. When will you be part of that club?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Relax---Snow Fairies is a term we use locally for drivers who call off or schedule days off due to snow. I have been a Snow Fairy several times during my career.

As to your question, I will have 23 years Safe Driving next month so, yes, I do plan on joining that group in 2016.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bluebiker

Best piece of advice that I've received from Circle of Honor drivers is to call in when it snows. Forcast for tonight and tomorrow is 8+ inches here and possibly 15 inches in the mountains......now where did I put my phone?:cool:

Sent using BrownCafe App

I go in when it snows, it's a challenge to drive in the snow. Yes, I've had a few "pucker" moments, one recently bobtailing in a snow storm.

We refer to drivers who call out as "fair weather drivers".

pretender

I go in when it snows, it's a challenge to drive in the snow. Yes, I've had a few "pucker" moments, one recently bobtailing in a snow storm.

We refer to drivers who call out as "fair weather drivers".
Not fun!

We also had names for drivers who call out...

over9five

Staff member
I have never booked off because of weather, and I don't like people who do because the rest of us get your work. So because you're a snow fairy, the rest of us have to be out in the storm LONGER. MHO

brostalss

When are you (and other Feeder Drivers) going to retire or die so the Package Guys can move up to Feeder? You're holding up the show here.

JUST KIDDING!!!!

I joke around with that question with some the Feeder Guys I know and they always say the same thing. "Why? It's gravy. "

You put in the time, you earned it.

I have never booked off because of weather, and I don't like people who do because the rest of us get your work. So because you're a snow fairy, the rest of us have to be out in the storm LONGER. MHO

The only time I'll call in on weather is if I can't get to the building in the first place. The last two times this year IDOT has closed the highway and if that's closed I sure as heck am not going to try the backroads.
If I'm at work then let it snow. Work only slows down and gets easier.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
The only time I'll call in on weather is if I can't get to the building in the first place. The last two times this year IDOT has closed the highway and if that's closed I sure as heck am not going to try the backroads.
If I'm at work then let it snow. Work only slows down and gets easier.
Was trying to deliver in whiteout conditions last Thursday ....... It was anything but "easy"

MaceFremonti

The Circle of Honor driver's line of thinking was that in reality UPS doesn't care about safety. Even in Feeders. The local level management may but the pressure from above puts them in a position where they "have" to keep the runs in unless there is 10 feet of snow covering the road.

In Feeders you can say its too dangerous to go - ultimately it's your call but that usually will start the whole we are instructing you to make the run. You can avoid that confrontation by just hooking up and leaving. Once you drive for a bit you can call and tell them it is no longer safe to proceed and you'll be waiting it out.

His outlook was it's just easier to call in then go through all that b.s. - especially if you have 15/20 years of safe driving under your belt. He wasn't suggesting doing it for a few inches but for significant events where you were 99.9% sure you were going to be stuck or shutdown somewhere. There's always someone on vacation coverage or the Q list wanting the hours regardless of the weather. You have optional/sick days to use at your discretion.

My personal cutoff is if the forcast is for 6" or more. If my run were flat I would probably move that up a few inches. As a previous poster mentioned pulling doubles up and down hills in the snow is not fun. Much less pulling doubles up and down mountains where the grades are 6%+ for miles. It literally snows everyday on my run so I've grown accustomed to the challenge it poses. However I no longer feel the need to be Mr. UPS in horrible conditions.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My personal cutoff will be exceeded tomorrow. UPS will probably shut it down around here anyway but I'm not going in regardless.

QKRSTKR

Relax---Snow Fairies is a term we use locally for drivers who call off or schedule days off due to snow. I have been a Snow Fairy several times during my career.

As to your question, I will have 23 years Safe Driving next month so, yes, I do plan on joining that group in 2016.

QKRSTKR

I am relaxed. Nice. To each their own is the way I look at it. We set record snow fall this year. Plenty of snow driving for me this year.

UPS does give little incentive to come in on real bad days. I make my own decisions with knowledge on hand. The last day I called out due to snow the hub I drive to shut down at 1a.m. I would have gotten there more like 2-2:30a.m. What would the point have been to risk my safety, risk an accident? To arrive at a place shutdown and for the trailers to sit in their yard all day. Pointless

pretender

The Circle of Honor driver's line of thinking was that in reality UPS doesn't care about safety. Even in Feeders. The local level management may but the pressure from above puts them in a position where they "have" to keep the runs in unless there is 10 feet of snow covering the road.

In Feeders you can say its too dangerous to go - ultimately it's your call but that usually will start the whole we are instructing you to make the run. You can avoid that confrontation by just hooking up and leaving. Once you drive for a bit you can call and tell them it is no longer safe to proceed and you'll be waiting it out.

His outlook was it's just easier to call in then go through all that b.s. - especially if you have 15/20 years of safe driving under your belt. He wasn't suggesting doing it for a few inches but for significant events where you were 99.9% sure you were going to be stuck or shutdown somewhere. There's always someone on vacation coverage or the Q list wanting the hours regardless of the weather. You have optional/sick days to use at your discretion.

My personal cutoff is if the forcast is for 6" or more. If my run were flat I would probably move that up a few inches. As a previous poster mentioned pulling doubles up and down hills in the snow is not fun. Much less pulling doubles up and down mountains where the grades are 6%+ for miles. It literally snows everyday on my run so I've grown accustomed to the challenge it poses. However I no longer feel the need to be Mr. UPS in horrible conditions.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I am also in an area where it can snow almost everyday, but we don't have the the hills/grades that you have to deal with. So--My hat is off to you for for making it through your first winter!

MaceFremonti

Having a close call today and seeing the report on the WILPA driver's accident reinforced the fact that you ALWAYS have to be focused and paying attention in Feeders!

My run has a couple of blind spots where you come up over a small hill and the road curves at the top and then doglegs down onto the backside of the hill. The road is cut into the hill so you can't see the downgrade until you are straightened up and headed down it. You can see the face of the hill a good half mile away as the road is a straight downgrade directly to it. The speed limit is 65 and it can be a pretty nasty spot even in good weather.

So today I have a heavy set of doubles and I'm approaching the spot in light traffic and can see all the brake lights coming on as people go up the hill and disappear through the corner like usual. The only thing is they are hitting the brakes in a weird spot. I can't really describe what I mean but it just "felt" like something was off. I see people go through there everyday and everyone brakes in just about the same spot but something wasn't right.

I slowed down enough to put me back a good distance away from all the traffic so I could go up and over all by myself. I went through at about 45 mph...as soon as the road straightened out and headed down there was a state trooper parked in the RIGHT LANE!

He had one flare out 5 feet from his rear bumper. On the shoulder was a guy changing a flat tire on a small truck. I had maybe 200 feet at the most to get into the left lane and clear the trooper. I managed to quickly change lanes and avoid twisting my set up.

If I hadn't been paying attention and went through there in traffic at the speed limit I would have either taken out the trooper or taken out whatever was to my left.

HORRIBLE spot for the trooper to park - especially with no flairs or triangles setup prior to the corner.

I stopped at the next rest stop and walked around for a few minutes until my legs stopped shaking!

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Having a close call today and seeing the report on the WILPA driver's accident reinforced the fact that you ALWAYS have to be focused and paying attention in Feeders!

My run has a couple of blind spots where you come up over a small hill and the road curves at the top and then doglegs down onto the backside of the hill. The road is cut into the hill so you can't see the downgrade until you are straightened up and headed down it. You can see the face of the hill a good half mile away as the road is a straight downgrade directly to it. The speed limit is 65 and it can be a pretty nasty spot even in good weather.

So today I have a heavy set of doubles and I'm approaching the spot in light traffic and can see all the brake lights coming on as people go up the hill and disappear through the corner like usual. The only thing is they are hitting the brakes in a weird spot. I can't really describe what I mean but it just "felt" like something was off. I see people go through there everyday and everyone brakes in just about the same spot but something wasn't right.

I slowed down enough to put me back a good distance away from all the traffic so I could go up and over all by myself. I went through at about 45 mph...as soon as the road straightened out and headed down there was a state trooper parked in the RIGHT LANE!

He had one flare out 5 feet from his rear bumper. On the shoulder was a guy changing a flat tire on a small truck. I had maybe 200 feet at the most to get into the left lane and clear the trooper. I managed to quickly change lanes and avoid twisting my set up.

If I hadn't been paying attention and went through there in traffic at the speed limit I would have either taken out the trooper or taken out whatever was to my left.

HORRIBLE spot for the trooper to park - especially with no flairs or triangles setup prior to the corner.

I stopped at the next rest stop and walked around for a few minutes until my legs stopped shaking!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mace, thanks for sharing this. A learning example for me.

This is why UPS feeder drivers are the best. Well trained proactive driving. Another driver probably creams the trooper. In the Philly accident they probably take out that van.... And I still marvel at how easy our guys can back up a trailer, and yet many drivers I see have such a hard time.

It was mentioned in our info session that UPS crams into two weeks what many get in 3-5 months. Have to be the best just to get all that so fast. I salute you Feeder Drivers.