over9five

Staff member
I tell ya, I've never felt the need to buy a GPS for Feeders, BUT.....

I can see the advantage of having one versus trying to read directions on a piece of paper at night.

Indecisi0n

I tell ya, I've never felt the need to buy a GPS for Feeders, BUT.....

I can see the advantage of having one versus trying to read directions on a piece of paper at night.
Direction wise I think a phone GPS with a Bluetooth headset is fine. It reads me off the directions in my ear. The only real concern I have is bridge heights. I figure its worth peace of mind.

Coldworld

Direction wise I think a phone GPS with a Bluetooth headset is fine. It reads me off the directions in my ear. The only real concern I have is bridge heights. I figure its worth peace of mind.
Most of the ups buildings you will be going to will be pretty much off freeways and major thoroughfares...I personally would be more concerned about customer pickups and THEIR dock overhangs and getting stuck in THEIR parking lot .... I would always ask another driver when going to a cpu for the first time.... if there is an issue with that location most of the people who have gone there will know of it.... ie, blindside back from off the street... low overhang over dock, tight turnaround in lot... etc...these are things a gps won’t know.

Coldworld

Peace of mind is wrapping your monkey when at the loves truck stop and the lot lizards start doing their thang’ ....

Indecisi0n

Most of the ups buildings you will be going to will be pretty much off freeways and major thoroughfares...I personally would be more concerned about customer pickups and THEIR dock overhangs and getting stuck in THEIR parking lot .... I would always ask another driver when going to a cpu for the first time.... if there is an issue with that location most of the people who have gone there will know of it.... ie, blindside back from off the street... low overhang over dock, tight turnaround in lot... etc...these are things a gps won’t know.
I bought the upgraded gps model that promises to know everything.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

Bridge heights are posted, you need to verify the height before going under them. I don't use a GPS for much more than a speedometer. The speedometers in some of the older tractors are tough to read.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
The only times we had a driver make a convertible out of a trailer was when there was an accident, and they diverted him through the boonies. I remember a second instance when we had 2 old 14' trailers. They didn't use them unless there was an emergency. Dispatch sent one out to a CPU, and there was a 13'10" bridge. oops.

Indecisi0n

Another question. When doing a pretrip on a trailer and checking the registration , I notice that on our gray box trailers where they have the silver registration box (on front) with green envelope that there are two registration papers. One is stuck to the box , has trailer # and always says registration is permanent, no expiration. But then there is also a loose registration paper that sometimes has a date on it. So is the registration permanent or dated? If a trailer only has the permanent paper stuck inside is it good or does it need the loose one as well?

P

pickup

Another question. When doing a pretrip on a trailer and checking the registration , I notice that on our gray box trailers where they have the silver registration box (on front) with green envelope that there are two registration papers. One is stuck to the box , has trailer # and always says registration is permanent, no expiration. But then there is also a loose registration paper that sometimes has a date on it. So is the registration permanent or dated? If a trailer only has the permanent paper stuck inside is it good or does it need the loose one as well?

Depends on the state that the trailer is registered in . Some states have permanent registrations for trailers and other states have expiration dates for their registrations.

P

pickup

Depends on the state that the trailer is registered in . Some states have permanent registrations for trailers and other states have expiration dates for their registrations.

I’m rereading the post I replied to and don’t think I really answered that registration question . Sorry.