retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I dealt with a bunch of independents my last couple of years. A majority couldn't speak understandable english. Seemed like a bunch were from Ukraine or Bulgaria. They would never leave the seal control when they park a bypass in the yard. They kept the paperwork because they feared they wouldn't get paid otherwise. I talked to one guy who had run 2 back to back 10-hour jobs from Houston-Mesquite, and was heading back out with a third. Said he'd drive as far as he could before resting. A bunch of those guys were pulling sets out and I'm sure damn well, they didn't have the doubles/triples endorsements.

Indecisi0n

I dealt with a bunch of independents my last couple of years. A majority couldn't speak understandable english. Seemed like a bunch were from Ukraine or Bulgaria. They would never leave the seal control when they park a bypass in the yard. They kept the paperwork because they feared they wouldn't get paid otherwise. I talked to one guy who had run 2 back to back 10-hour jobs from Houston-Mesquite, and was heading back out with a third. Said he'd drive as far as he could before resting. A bunch of those guys were pulling sets out and I'm sure damn well, they didn't have the doubles/triples endorsements.
When a contractor kills someone on the road pull our equipment who gets sued ?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

E-log should stop that abuse now, but there are ways around it...they aren't required for tractors built pre-2000 and engines built pre-2001, I believe those are the correct years.

Most of the contractors on our yard are driving old hoopties or what look to be glider kits. Either of these could allow them to not run with e-logs.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
On a side note, are any of your feeder department's hiring way too many employees? My department, and a few others that I've heard of, have too many new employees and are continuing to hire. With this contract, almost no one will leave until January of 2020 because of the pending pension increase.

I get along fine with my supervisor, he said management at my location thinks they're already over staffed but they keep getting emails from the real decision-makers telling them to hire more drivers.

Has UPS ever initiated a buyout program or moved up a pension increase outside of contract negotiations?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I heard yesterday that UPS hasn't renewed their contract with CSX.

Waiting to see how this contract mess sorts out? Might not need all that train space if you're gonna use gypsies...
On a side note, are any of your feeder department's hiring way too many employees? My department, and a few others that I've heard of, have too many new employees and are continuing to hire. With this contract, almost no one will leave until January of 2020 because of the pending pension increase.

I get along fine with my supervisor, he said management at my location thinks they're already over staffed but they keep getting emails from the real decision-makers telling them to hire more drivers.

Has UPS ever initiated a buyout program or moved up a pension increase outside of contract negotiations?
you sure it’s not for these sleeer runs they will be putting in eventually??

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
you sure it’s not for these sleeer runs they will be putting in eventually??

Anything is possible and we were already supposed to gain more sleeper runs.

The issue would be my building can't force a driver into sleepers, or that's what the union has told other drivers. If none want to go to sleepers they would still need to hire more drivers.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Anything is possible and we were already supposed to gain more sleeper runs.

The issue would be my building can't force a driver into sleepers, or that's what the union has told other drivers. If none want to go to sleepers they would still need to hire more drivers.

I don't know of any supplemental language, that would allow the company

to force drivers into sleeper runs. What they could do.... is bid only sleeper runs.

-Bug-

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

to force drivers into sleeper runs. What they could do.... is bid only sleeper runs.

-Bug-

I think they posted sleeper bids here awhile back but the jobs weren't created at that time. Most of the guys came from part-time but all ended up as regular feeder drivers.

Sleepers isn't for everyone. Some of the guys can't sleep in the back and after one time covering, their sleeper careers are over. :)

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

-Bug-

They're telling all of the new street hires here, that they will be forced on sleeper runs if not enough seniority drivers sign up.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Not being able to evacuate your bowels and urinate on a regular schedule....

Is kind of a "big deal"

You can stop and do all that on a regular schedule (within reason). The problem is most sleeper drivers want as much money as they can get. By stopping for 10 minutes to take a leak, that's 10 fewer minutes of potential yard time you're giving up.

That's why a bunch of sleeper drivers got fired while back (or so I heard) for rolling breaks and meals. I don't know if they got their jobs back, but I have no sympathy for them. They did that for one reason, greed.

over9five

Staff member
Anyone have experience with Georgia trailer registrations? I have one tonight that says it's a permanent reg, but also has an expiration date. Plate also says permanent.
Which is it??