Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Damn thisnis a whole different world.
Done with my 1st day and already loving it.
SUP had me driving for like 5 hours just showing me the usual spots that ill be going.
The 1st few months are a real eye-opener. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop but it never did. Peak is when you really realize how good you have it now.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I averaged 52-60 hours a week year round. Had a run and sometimes would do some shifting or go to the airport after my run if they asked.Could turn extra work down If I wanted since so many feeder drivers below me.

Peak season was not too different in feeder.Just more opportunities for extra work. The yard was a mess because of gypos and peak hires in feeder. That was the main problem. Just hook up and get out of yard as soon as possible.

ManInBrown

Feeders doesn’t have a peak here. Literally nothing changes.
It actually gets easier at peak, because of coyotes. My last year in package I worked 59 hours every week of December. My first peak in feeders I never broke 45 hours. We can max out, I have no interest. I do my schedule and go home.

barnyard

KTM rider
I had a run at peak last year. I was at 65-67 hours. The work was easy enough once I left the hub. The hubs were a mess. 1-2 hours per night waiting for a break in traffic to get to my door, or wait for traffic to pull off my door, and then do the slow shuffle to the outbound gate.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I had a run at peak last year. I was at 65-67 hours. The work was easy enough once I left the hub. The hubs were a mess. 1-2 hours per night waiting for a break in traffic to get to my door, or wait for traffic to pull off my door, and then do the slow shuffle to the outbound gate.
We had a peak like this about 3 years ago. If you drive all the way around the hub, it’s about a mile/mile and a half. There was a line ALL the way around the building. It was a mess. After that peak, they started dedicating a team of about 30 drivers to move the loads the coyotes are taking to an offsite lot about 15 minutes away to keep them off the yard. That’s all you do all day. I had that job last peak and I felt like I was stealing money.

Last edited:

barnyard

KTM rider
The 1st hub that I went to was a tangle of incoming loads and incoming package cars. 1 night, as I was leaving, package cars were lined up out on the highway to come into the building. Couple of feeders mixed in with them. They had a 30 minute wait to inbound.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
The 1st hub that I went to was a tangle of incoming loads and incoming package cars. 1 night, as I was leaving, package cars were lined up out on the highway to come into the building. Couple of feeders mixed in with them. They had a 30 minute wait to inbound.

We used to have a building that was so tight they had 2-3 management people on the yard to direct inbound traffic and shifters broke down all sets. It could easily be 30+ minutes to make it from the street to the breakdown area around back. Until they added a new staging area it was like this every night.

My first time there I got chewed out because I hit inbound while waiting on the street. The shifter told me unload had 2 doors waiting on my trailers for about 10 minutes.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We used to have a building that was so tight they had 2-3 management people on the yard to direct inbound traffic and shifters broke down all sets. It could easily be 30+ minutes to make it from the street to the breakdown area around back. Until they added a new staging area it was like this every night.

My first time there I got chewed out because I hit inbound while waiting on the street. The shifter told me unload had 2 doors waiting on my trailers for about 10 minutes.
And then you got LAWNJ, where they give you a door as soon as you inbound and then you sit and wait for 20 minutes for a shifter to pull the empty off..

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
And then you got LAWNJ, where they give you a door as soon as you inbound and then you sit and wait for 20 minutes for a shifter to pull the empty off..
We had shifters in Sacramento that hooked up to trailer on a door we were waiting for and then go on break and read the paper. Most shifters there did it to us because they didnt like drivers from Reno.

We had a name for them....

Indecisi0n

The 1st few months are a real eye-opener. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop but it never did. Peak is when you really realize how good you have it now.
Drivers were telling me how peak was and I didn't believe them. OMG, you literally do less work and get paid more for it with the OT. That's when I feel in love working with these chubby hairy guys.

I averaged 52-60 hours a week year round. Had a run and sometimes would do some shifting or go to the airport after my run if they asked.Could turn extra work down If I wanted since so many feeder drivers below me.

Peak season was not too different in feeder.Just more opportunities for extra work. The yard was a mess because of gypos and peak hires in feeder. That was the main problem. Just hook up and get out of yard as soon as possible.
(After you went to the shop every night). Lol.