Hello, all. Question for you- I have an opportunity to go in off the street as a feeder driver. I want to, but, I’m hesitant because it’s an hour one way, and I know it’s nearly impossible to transfer. Saw this section on here, and thought I’d throw out a question. Worth it, or no?

At my hub we have a lot of "off the street" guys hired within the last year. The general consensus from the guys I've talked to is that UPS Feeder is the best gig in trucking. It's 99% no touch freight. The only exception is a customer pickup here and there, but that is it. It's also 99% local work (sleeper teams at some hubs). The pay and benefits are unmatched. You'll probably start out shifting a lot, and work nights, but as the older guys retire, you'll move up the seniority ladder. Lastly, depending on your experience, you might be taking a pay cut for your first couple years, but after top scale you should easily be clearing 120k.

Indecisi0n

They do have that restriction in NJ. A lot of our casuals every year have Auto only CDL’s. No one should be hired permanent with an auto only CDL. Package or off the street. If you’re in package and you have an auto only CDL, you should not be allowed to come to feeders IMO. Auto only casuals never get hired as far as I know. They use them and toss them away after peak. They’ll put up with it just to have a body. The 10-15 year feeder drivers love it when his auto tractor is given away every day at peak to a casual that can’t use a manual. That’s a big problem in our building every peak.
When someone told me they had a auto CDL only I laughed and assumed he was joking . I use to tell the sups I had a air conditioning CDL only.

barnyard

KTM rider
Hello, all. Question for you- I have an opportunity to go in off the street as a feeder driver. I want to, but, I’m hesitant because it’s an hour one way, and I know it’s nearly impossible to transfer. Saw this section on here, and thought I’d throw out a question. Worth it, or no?
Only you can decide that.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Ever since that ivis update over the weekend my tractor will not connect with my ivis. Not sure if it’s the tractor or ivis. Any work arounds? I’ve restarted my ivis several times.
Enjoy the unlimited idle time. Entering your mileage on every turn is a small price to pay.
Just FYI, if your IVIS isn't pairing to your tractor, you're not in compliance with the ELD mandate. You can only do that 8 times in a 30 day period.

WannaBeFeeder

Only you can answer that ..... depends on your situation

Johney

Just FYI, if your IVIS isn't pairing to your tractor, you're not in compliance with the ELD mandate. You can only do that 8 times in a 30 day period.
I could be wrong but I think there is someone in the office who is suppose to correct any discrepancies when things like that happen.

ManInBrown

I could be wrong but I think there is someone in the office who is suppose to correct any discrepancies when things like that happen.
Lolol. They laugh here when we tell them we are having problems connecting the IVIS to the tractor. I don’t know one feeder driver I work with that doesn’t have constant issues with their IVIS. It takes 42 tries to punch in most days. Lolol at connecting to the tractor. It’s their equipment. It’s their problem. Not mine. I did my part and made them aware. As for the poster who said he’s never had a problem connecting to a rental, your building is the exception. I’ve never once been able to connect to a rental. If I get fined, they are on the hook.

robot

Has A Large Member
Lolol. They laugh here when we tell them we are having problems connecting the IVIS to the tractor. I don’t know one feeder driver I work with that doesn’t have constant issues with their IVIS. It takes 42 tries to punch in most days. Lolol at connecting to the tractor. It’s their equipment. It’s their problem. Not mine. I did my part and made them aware. As for the poster who said he’s never had a problem connecting to a rental, your building is the exception. I’ve never once been able to connect to a rental. If I get fined, they are on the hook.

yeah I’ve never been able to connect to a rental either

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Lolol. They laugh here when we tell them we are having problems connecting the IVIS to the tractor. I don’t know one feeder driver I work with that doesn’t have constant issues with their IVIS. It takes 42 tries to punch in most days.
Yup the thing is garbage.
Lolol at connecting to the tractor. It’s their equipment. It’s their problem. Not mine. I did my part and made them aware.
Okay.
I'm just saying if your ivis isn't connecting to the tractor, you're running paper logs when the DOT requires electronic, and you can technically be placed out of service if you do that more than 8 times in 30 days. If you're okay with that, you do you.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
So what are my chances of becoming a sleeper driver right off the bat of getting hired through Union off the street, for the feeder position, which I understand is either sleeper or daycab. From what they explained to me its up to the A driver already doing sleeper that is looking for a new co-driver. I have 3 years driving otr team driving sleeper, i heard most sleeper drivers prefer someone with teaming experience. So how would i get in with the white truck driver? How would i find out who's looking for a B teammate? Thank you.
You bid sleeper team. Then, when they pick, they go down the list by seniority, top to bottom. #1 on the list could pick #2 on the list. Last two standing, you’re a team, think like dodgeball in grade school. I do believe both drivers have to agree to be a team. Lots of times a high seniority driver will pick a low driver and they will get a great run based on high seniority drivers bid. But low guy will be doing all the fueling, set building, and tractor washing in exchange for the good run.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
A lot of hubs will have the set already built for you. They like to keep sleeper teams moving.

Only time any of our sleeper drivers will build a set is on their longest leg since they have to give them 2 hours. If you build your own set you get paid for that time and get out the gate to your next TA where you will be paid all TA time.

That being said I've only had to build a set a few times on sleeper runs and it was always my choice to do it. We are instructed to call ICC if we're delayed. ICC then calls the hub delaying us and a set will usually appear very quickly.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Only time any of our sleeper drivers will build a set is on their longest leg since they have to give them 2 hours. If you build your own set you get paid for that time and get out the gate to your next TA where you will be paid all TA time.

That being said I've only had to build a set a few times on sleeper runs and it was always my choice to do it. We are instructed to call ICC if we're delayed. ICC then calls the hub delaying us and a set will usually appear very quickly.
You’re welcome. Can’t count how many sets I’ve had to build for you guys.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
You’re welcome. Can’t count how many sets I’ve had to build for you guys.

Probably about the same number of pre-built sets that I've had to crank up the rear landing gear, untangle knotted airlines and or clean leaking gladhands...roughly 95% of them. :ninja3: