BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
@104Feeder

1670515470131.png

HFolb23

I have an assigned tractor and love running a CB. I did spend about $100 on a nicer coax cable and a good antenna though. Im in a rental for a few days and not having a CB is one of my least favorite things about being in the different truck.

That radio has been a really helpful tool when there’s been road hazards or traffic/accidents ahead.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Conference calls pretty much replaced CBs where I was at. Most of the newer drivers had zero interest in running a CB.
I missed the CB era. A few years ago I got to drive an old timers tractor that had a CB. I had it turned to channel 19 all day and never heard a single word. There’s a reason we don’t use them.

Cowboy Mac

I missed the CB era. A few years ago I got to drive an old timers tractor that had a CB. I had it turned to channel 19 all day and never heard a single word. There’s a reason we don’t use them.
You didn’t hear a single word because our antenna systems are garbage. A lot of times coax cable straight from factory in a new truck is bad. Also the typical antenna mounting location I’ve seen on UPS tractors is on the headache rack, which is the worst place you can have an antenna for transmit and receive. The best would be dual antennas mounted on the mirrors.

Also in our contract it says radios cannot be more than 4 watts, which is basically a stock radio. Even a Cobra 29, properly tuned, should get about 16-20 watts. Wattage meaning transmit power.

So with a bad antenna system and a 4 watt radio you ain’t talking to anybody unless they’re inside your truck.

Cowboy Mac

I had my JFK checked, and it was putting out 19 watts right out of the box.
If you bought your radio new from a shop with 19 watts, chances are they sold you a tuned radio. Which is illegal to sell or own a cb radio with more than 4 1/4 watts, although it’s not commonly enforced.

The FCC has actually raided shops in TX before that broke these rules. We’re talking SWAT teams with AR style rifles.