Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
It’s not easy driving in mountains at night…in snow, ice and wind. Too bad some drivers don’t respect that. Lucky I drive with a guy with many years of experience. Imagine driving with rookie straight out of school. Some of them can’t even stay awake at nights
They are telling all the new guys we bring up that if they don’t want to do sleeper, then don’t bother coming up to feeders. Think about that. I got trained for 3 days, got my CDL on the 4th, got 1 week of one on one time with my trainer then I was on my own. Imagine forcing someone, who a week and 3 days prior had never even seen the inside of a tractor, to drive OTR across the country. It’s criminal.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
They are telling all the new guys we bring up that if they don’t want to do sleeper, then don’t bother coming up to feeders. Think about that. I got trained for 3 days, got my CDL on the 4th, got 1 week of one on one time with my trainer then I was on my own. Imagine forcing someone, who a week and 3 days prior had never even seen the inside of a tractor, to drive OTR across the country. It’s criminal.
That’s scary.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Anyone know what the approximate time is for a pre trip on a tractor and then a pre trip with hooking a set or just a single?? On roads have been telling new drivers here all a different story and trying to jam people up on it….had someone ask me about it and I had no idea 🤷‍♂️

Whenever I got questioned about my pretrip and out gate I always tell them “I’m doing it as safely and quickly as I know how.” And they leave me alone.

We can't be forced into sleeper here. That sounds like a damn disaster.

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
Do they provide a truck for the test or did you rent one? I can't get answers from the texts from CACH

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
That is what every mega carrier does.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
They don't give you a CDL. You have to pass the test. Also megas will put you on the road with just your permit
You know what I meant, you get more than 3 days training before you’re allowed to test. Those “megas” also have some of the worst CSA scores in the country. Let’s try not to model that.

Cementups

Box Monkey
That's why I bailed on feeders even after 7.5 years in I was still having a hard time staying awake.
My first five years in feeders I started generally around 3am. And sleep was tough. But I was determined that I was running “days” especially after 21 years in package. Fast forward to this past October and I bid a sleeper run and told my B driver, “how do you feel about running days?” He was elated. Now I start around 3-4pm and I get way better sleep. Big thing that made me change is that I realized when I was on vacation, I’m a night owl and wasn’t going to bed until 3-4am anyway so why not try work like that. So much better.
In reality you just have to find the schedule that fits your body’s natural sleep pattern and work with that.

Johney

My first five years in feeders I started generally around 3am. And sleep was tough. But I was determined that I was running “days” especially after 21 years in package. Fast forward to this past October and I bid a sleeper run and told my B driver, “how do you feel about running days?” He was elated. Now I start around 3-4pm and I get way better sleep. Big thing that made me change is that I realized when I was on vacation, I’m a night owl and wasn’t going to bed until 3-4am anyway so why not try work like that. So much better.
In reality you just have to find the schedule that fits your body’s natural sleep pattern and work with that.
I think what really made it tough was trying to keep a normal life over the weekends with the wife. So when I had a 4-10 run I had a three day weekend, nice but made it tougher to switch back on Monday. I chose to give it for that reason and the fact the new guys coming in were jerkoffs. I took a 22.3 job shifting but it still required a 1:00 am start so still nights at that point I decided I’d just about had enough. One of the best decisions I ever made. Still don’t sleep right to this day. I’m guessing it’ll take some time.