ManInBrown

We have plenty of new Mack’s here. IMO they are the most uncomfortable tractor to drive. I don’t find the ride or the seat comfortable. They are also the most reliable unlike KW’s and Freightliners.

ManInBrown

Those internationals were ass beaters. They pulled like champs though. And they turned like a shifter
I love those old flat nose internationals. When I came to feeders we had a few left. Never minded driving them. I’d take that over a Sterling every day. The only thing that sucked was the suspension. Every bump you broke your back. Shifted like a dream, smooth as butter. Turned on a dime.

qdg2

And now you know why Sleepers are white........dime a dozen. Shield and voila!
The issue with Mack started years ago. And UPS does not forget. One of the reasons they started ordering Kenworths and Freightliners. It used to be just Macks and Internationals. There were Fords (Sterlings), but only for a few years.

The deal with Mack was that UPS required springs, not air bags on the rear axle. It all boiled down to cost. The springs were cheaper to maintain than air bags.

Macks started coming standard with air bags. So Mack would have to build all their trucks for everyone else, and then at the end of that model year, would have to retool the assembly line to build the tractors for UPS with springs.

Mack finally got tired of doing this, and told UPS to take or leave it over the air bags.

I believe the 273 series Macks were the first ones we got with the air bags. But this was the start of negotiations with Kenworth and Freightliner. I heard there might be some Petes coming in also. They got away from Macks for a long time, but have started ordering some again.
Kenworth and Freightliner were very eager to get UPS's business....especially away from Mack.......pretty obvious. With some pretty steep discounts.

Mack had to "re-tool" for many other UPS requirements.

robot

Has A Large Member
I love those old flat nose internationals. When I came to feeders we had a few left. Never minded driving them. I’d take that over a Sterling every day. The only thing that sucked was the suspension. Every bump you broke your back. Shifted like a dream, smooth as butter. Turned on a dime.
The old snub noses? The ones where the shifter would get so loose there would be a foot gap between gears?

pkgdriver

Carol is planning on bringing these bad boys back.
Who’s station wagon is that?
BC618ED5-CCA8-4753-86BA-C5F9DEA3FAFE.jpeg